I could've put this on guitar basics but I figured people on musician forum can answer my stupid question better

So recently I've been starting to look a bit on theory. Now I know most of the notes on fretboard and I've been looking major scales and chord forming a bit. So here's c major scale C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 and I should be able to form c major chord from it by taking numbers 1 3 and 5, right? So I take note c which is on string a 3 fret, string d 2 fret which is e, but then when I look up the last note it is g? Shouldn't it be note c which is located on in fret 1 string b? I probably got chord forming a bit wrong, could someone aid me a bit here? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, sorry for bad explaining as well
Quote by kyrreca
well, the open g string is a g...

yup, but how do I know I need to fret b string first fret?
Well, if you're gonna play the b string, you need to fret a note that belongs in a c major chord (c e g). And c on the first fret is easier than e on the fifth or g on the eigth.
you don't need to if you only play it as a 3 string chord. adding the 1st fret on the b string gives an extra c in the chord, and adding the open high e string, obvisously, gives an extra e. You're got the right idea with the 1 3 5 bit, just remember you can have those notes in the chord more than once.
Quote by Naem
I could've put this on guitar basics but I figured people on musician forum can answer my stupid question better

So recently I've been starting to look a bit on theory. Now I know most of the notes on fretboard and I've been looking major scales and chord forming a bit. So here's c major scale C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 and I should be able to form c major chord from it by taking numbers 1 3 and 5, right? So I take note c which is on string a 3 fret, string d 2 fret which is e, but then when I look up the last note it is g? Shouldn't it be note c which is located on in fret 1 string b? I probably got chord forming a bit wrong, could someone aid me a bit here? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, sorry for bad explaining as well

The chord you built is a triad. Used more on the piano really than on the guitar.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
Quote by daniel.mycoe
The chord you built is a triad. Used more on the piano really than on the guitar.
lol
Just about every chord I hear on guitar (apart from powerchords) is a triad. It might not look like it, but thats only because the chords got an octave and a fifth before the triad.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.