Hi, i've bind writing about getting and electric guitar but today when i talked på my techer in (music) he said, beacause you have short fingers but big hands i acctually recommend playing bass. You will find it more easy than guitar and then more fun because you will learn like two times faster and get more motivated. So now I'm a bit confused.

Pic of my hand ...

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8012/dsc01003af5.jpg

And here i'm strecthing them so they are way shorter when benden around a guitar/bass neck.

What should i do/ should i get at bass O-o
You should get a bass, not only because of your girl-hands, but also because it's just overall a funner instrument, IMO.
The.
I'd get a guitar, but that's just because I like guitar more than bass
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
You should get a bass, not only because of your girl-hands, but also because it's just overall a funner instrument, IMO.
My Fuc*k finger is broken from i fight i'm not i girl :3 Anyway you'r just jealous. Anyway, whit is it so much more fun? I've heard many people saying that on other forums but WHY! is it more fun ?
you said you were getting a guitar, that means you wanted a guitar. so you should get a guitar
i have an idea...
get whatever you feel like playing.
if you dig the cool jives and low-down grooves of the bass, play bass.
if you're all about tearin it up, or playin some funky rhythms/chords, go with guitar.

don't worry about hand size or whatever...
i'm left handed, and i have pretty small hands, and i've been playing guitar for goin on 6 years now.
See above post ^
since the hand in the photo doesn't appear to be a fake one you are free to choose what you like most and become a good guitarist too. Come in, you're welcome!
The size of your fingers has no bearing on whether you will play guitar or bass better. Kill your teacher, steal his hands.
two things threadstarter

1 your hand size has nothing to do with what instrument you play, if you are actually going to put the effort in you can play either. it sounds to me like your looking for the easy option which makes me question your determination to keep going when the instrument gets hard. the only thing that should determine which you play is what you like the sound of best

2 bitching at IHATECHILDREN won't get you any help from anyone all you are doing is making enemies, which won't end well for you.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Last edited by skater dan0 at Sep 6, 2007,
Quote by skater dan0
2 bitching at jazz rock feel won't get you any help from anyone all you are doing is making enemies, which won't end well for you.

Where's bales? I see no bales in the post.

Play bass, i have fairly small hands and i can now do 4 fret stretches really comfortably, in the end all you need to do is to be able to stretch 4 frets and thats easy enough. Just you gotta stretch little by little and use your hand to the full efficiency it can.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Where's bales? I see no bales in the post.

Play bass, i have fairly small hands and i can now do 4 fret stretches really comfortably, in the end all you need to do is to be able to stretch 4 frets and thats easy enough. Just you gotta stretch little by little and use your hand to the full efficiency it can.

ahh you got me jon, i was on auto pilot lol

anyway fixed now
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Well, my first piece of advice is that you need a new teacher. Like many have stated above, there are quite a few of us who have small hands and play bass (and guitar for that matter). I can bet that I have the smallest hands of anyone on this forum and I manage both instruments and drums nicely, thank you very much.

Jonno is right, once you start playing and stretching your hands, a 4 or even a 5 fret stretch is attainable.

Play bass because you like bass, not because of some misinformed person's opinion of physical limitations and requirements. This is music not some height/safety requirement to ride the rollercoaster for goodness sake.
Quote by anarkee
Well, my first piece of advice is that you need a new teacher. Like many have stated above, there are quite a few of us who have small hands and play bass (and guitar for that matter). I can bet that I have the smallest hands of anyone on this forum and I manage both instruments and drums nicely, thank you very much.

Jonno is right, once you start playing and stretching your hands, a 4 or even a 5 fret stretch is attainable.

Play bass because you like bass, not because of some misinformed person's opinion of physical limitations and requirements. This is music not some height/safety requirement to ride the rollercoaster for goodness sake.

+1 same thing here

i played elec. guitar when i was 8- 12 and my finger size didnt really matter (mostly because it has a small neck)
Led Zeppelin
i say bass because really it's just more fun to master and jam on. but can i ask what country you are from
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land