ask yourself this: do you NEED a half stack ?
for that price you could get a better combo that's easier to carry aswell.
what music do you play?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
General advice on Chinese amps. It's safer to invest less than $500 in a new one. Investing anything more is risky. Even though Chinese amps tend to be a good deal, they have higher failure rates than comparable American and British amps of the same price. If you want to buy a B52 half-stack you would be much safer buying it used. Used amps (2 or more years old) tend to have the bugs worked out and have a much lower failure rate than new. If you want to buy a new one I would keep the price down as low as possible, maybe a combo. Don't forget the used market. Chances are better that you can get a high power amp that's more reliable and at a better price.
are you using it in a band situation? if so, what amp does the other guitarist use?
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I'm using a B-52 combo, I'm very happy with it. I doubt you need a halfstack the combo is plenty loud.
WTLTL 2011
I also use a B-52 AT 212 combo and I love it to death. I've had it for about 6 months now with no problems so I can only recommend my same combo.

I would recommend the combo even if you plan to gig. I can't see much use in the extra power of the cabinet.
Quote by uldhppi
General advice on Chinese amps. It's safer to invest less than $500 in a new one. Investing anything more is risky. Even though Chinese amps tend to be a good deal, they have higher failure rates than comparable American and British amps of the same price. If you want to buy a B52 half-stack you would be much safer buying it used. Used amps (2 or more years old) tend to have the bugs worked out and have a much lower failure rate than new. If you want to buy a new one I would keep the price down as low as possible, maybe a combo. Don't forget the used market. Chances are better that you can get a high power amp that's more reliable and at a better price.

Umm all of B-52's amps are made in the states so you can pretty much just ignore that statement.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
For $100 more a little over a year ago I was able to pick up a Mesa Boogie F-100 head for $750 on ebay and a $350 B-52 4x12 cab. A $1,100 boogie stack vs. a $1,000 B-52 stack... I'd go with Boogie any day.

You would be better off going with the 212 B-52 or AT-100 head and a 2x12 extension cab. 4x12s are overkill in most situations.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by soul_power
Umm all of B-52's amps are made in the states so you can pretty much just ignore that statement.

Check their web site. At the bottom of the page it states that it is assembled in the USA. The same factory in China that makes Madison and Randall manufactures the components (chassis, circuit boards, speakers, tubes, etc.) B52 has gone to a lot of trouble to confuse buyers and hide the actual origin of the amps in order to piggy-back on the Made in USA mystique. Its a common practice in China. Doesn't mean its a good or bad amp. Just fact.
Last edited by uldhppi at Sep 9, 2007,
also keep in mind, try to find a used B-52 on ebay or criagslist. there arnt very many, which means that people dont get rid of them I guess...

Im also looking into a b-52, but one of the combos. I think its a good amp. And if you need a half stack... IE playing gigs or what not... then go for it...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Hey, I have been gigging with the At-100 half stack for 8 months. Our band is sort of a modern alt rock sort of thing, and this amp is great for that. I am on my second one, as the first head had serious issues...reverb spring totally shot, etc. The current head is great. One note, if you plan on using the effects loop for delays, etc...it take a bit to dial it in using the send/return levels on the back of the amp. Tends to fizz out a strong clean signal until settings are just right. Hope this helps. Feel free to email with any questions.

pete@overkastmusic.com
i've played them, and they're awesome, i don't think you need such a big amp, if you're planning to get a half stack get an used marshall