Ok I am not willing to spend more than 500 dollars total for guitar and amp. I was pointed in the directions of the Yamaha pacifica (if you have a better suggestion lmk haha) I honestly don't know the first thing about amps. Which one should I look for or what should I look for in an amp? I'm really into bluesy rock and classical rock if that makes a diff on teh guitar. Thanks in advance -Wiggly
*sigh*

what kinda music do you play?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I say get the vox ad 15/30vt amp. They are great for classic rock and have nice blues tones.
The Vox AD30VT is a pretty decent modeling amp for classic rock.

For a guitar, I'd recommend getting one of these Hagstroms. They are really great guitars for the price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The Pacifica is a decent axe. For classic rock and blues I would say look at tube combos. Unless you want high power the Crate Palamino is only $200 (last time I checked.) This leaves a little money left over for pedals. Don't forget the use market.
dont get the pacifica, just search around. i had one as my first guitar an it seemed really unreliable. i got a 2nd hand Epiphone SG in good condition for like £100
=MAY THE HAND OF GOD STRIKE THEM DOWN=

+Rip Dimebag+

Gear:

Ibanez RG170
Epiphone SG Standard G400
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Boss V-WAH
Digitech Whammy
Spider Line 6 II 30W
Yeah, go used on the guitar and I think the Vox DA 20 is a better amp for classic rock then the AD30.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Wow thanks for all the speedy responses. Do those VOX's also double as decent amps for blues jams? Also why should I go used, and any other opinions on the pacifica or any more guitars???
If you look for a used tube combo the chances are much greater that you can get a little more power and a quality amp for a better price (more bang for the buck.) Also the failure rates for used amps (2 or more years old) are much lower than the failure rates on brand-new amps. The bugs have been ironed out.
Don't know about the guitar, never played one, but the DA 20 has 3 blues settings each one a bit bolder then the one before it. Has 2 8" speakers in it and sounds great for classic rock and blues. When I bought it I originally was going to get the Ad30 but after hours going between it the DA 20 and a Roland cube 30 the DA 20 sounded better to me then the others for classic rock and blues. Much smoother tone. Not real loud though so if your looking for volume you'll need something else or mic it through a PA. My 40 watt peavey smokes this thing for volume but not tone, It's really nice sounding for stuff like clapton. Been trying to find a passable Gilmore tone with it, but pink floyd is very difficult for just about any combo amp unless you got big $$$ in it. Overall though I'm happy with this little amp. Added bonus is it takes batteries if your out somewhere with no power supply. This is probably the best battery amp made. I paid $250 for it. Money well spent.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Theres nothing wrong with a Yami, for the money they eclipse the competiton in terms of build quality, hardware and wood. Sure for the money you can get a mid range guitar secondhand but it will likly be played alot meaning fret wear along with the inevitable scratches and dings. For lower end stuff buying secondhand can be a dangerous bet as they will likely have been owned by a younger guitarist that wont have looked after the guitar as well as they could have.

Yes you can get more for your money but is it worth the risk? If you can play the secondhand guitars then by all means buy secondhand but I wouldnt risk it on an ebay buy or similar. Frankly id rather have a new axe than somones old toot.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
The pacifica is a great guitar, I'd be happy to gig with one with a pickup change, and I prefer them to any Squiers, and I've played worse MIM Strats. Have a look at both the 112 (HSS) or the 120 (HH), which is discontinued in USA, but you can still find them. Laney VC15, you have a set-up I would, and do gig with.
Quote by uldhppi
The Pacifica is a decent axe. For classic rock and blues I would say look at tube combos. Unless you want high power the Crate Palamino is only $200 (last time I checked.) This leaves a little money left over for pedals. Don't forget the use market.

agreed. for blues and classic rock, one of those lower wattage amps with a master volume is an excellent idea. I haven't tried the palomino, but i hear good things. the peavey valveking royal 8 would also be worth an audition.

if you need higher wattage for jams, the 15 watt palomino may come in under budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well just got back from guitar shop and was looking around...

They are aparently having a huge sale so good timing for me. I told him its my first guitar and I'm learning and he reccommended one of their "starter kits" comes with a:

squire affinity
fender 15g amp
xtra strings
case
picks
instructional dvd
amp cord
headphones
tuner

although I already have tuner, and am prob going to use www.justinguitar.com to learn basics the headphones, amp, amp cord, guitar and case are all needed. This all costs about 315 dollars down from 415.

They also had an Epiphone alleycat in Trans Black for 250, and the pricetag said ti WAS 370 or something like that. Is that a good deal? its in my price range and I really liked the guitar.... but I will need to pay for amp, bag, strings, cord, seperate.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?SKU=ETAKTBCH1&ovchn=FRO&ovcpn=FROOGLE&ovcrn=ETAKTBCH1&ovtac=CMP
Last edited by Wiggly at Sep 6, 2007,
Quote by Wiggly
well just got back from guitar shop and was looking around...

They are aparently having a huge sale so good timing for me. I told him its my first guitar and I'm learning and he reccommended one of their "starter kits" comes with a:

squire affinity
fender 15g amp
xtra strings
case
picks
instructional dvd
amp cord
headphones
tuner

although I already have tuner, and am prob going to use www.justinguitar.com to learn basics the headphones, amp, amp cord, guitar and case are all needed. This all costs about 315 dollars down from 415.

They also had an Epiphone alleycat in Trans Black for 250, and the pricetag said ti WAS 370 or something like that. Is that a good deal? its in my price range and I really liked the guitar.... but I will need to pay for amp, bag, strings, cord, seperate.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?SKU=ETAKTBCH1&ovchn=FRO&ovcpn=FROOGLE&ovcrn=ETAKTBCH1&ovtac=CMP

Do not go for the starter kit. A laney VC15 is $400-ish dollars, less used, and I got my Pacifica for £60 ($120) so that is slightly over-budget, but will be well worth it. The LC15II is worth looking at too. Please don't go for the starter kit. Extras like leads, straps and gig bags you can get cheap for now.
i'd avoid a starter kit to be honest. main reason being that 9 times out of 10, if you can pick the amp separately from the guitar, you have a much wider range of choice and can do much better, basically.

i haven't tried that epiphone- judging by prices over here, that's a steal, but that's to be expected as we get overcharged on almost everything compared to the USA. I'd wait to see what everyone else says, but i suspect that if you liked it (and can determine that it's a nice guitar from others) that that would make a fine guitar, as long as you don't play anything to modern-sounding (and by the sounds of it, you don't).

that still leaves you around $250 for the amp (alright, maybe more like $230 since you'd need a strap, lead, etc.). EDIT: actually, if you buy the amp and guitar in the same place, you could probably ask if they'd throw in a strap, lead, picks etc. for nothing. Would also be worth asking if $250 is the lowest they'll take on the guitar too.

EDIT: ^ that laney is a sweet amp, but in the US there are better value alternatives, if you ask me- peavey classic series/valveking royal 8, crate palomino, fender blues junior etc. are all better value...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 6, 2007,
I say get the vox ad 15/30vt amp. They are great for classic rock and have nice blues tones.

+1 these are good, versatile starter amps.

If you are hoping to go with a less versatile tube amp that would have better tones, try an Epiphone Valve Junior.

The Pacifica 112 (HSS) is a good, versatile starter guitar. The wood is good, so the electronics can be upgraded later on to make it even better. It is a good value for money.
Eh, I find the Epiphone Valve juniors to be rather unimpressive to be honest. Its just a fad here.

Grab a Vox AVT50/30 and you'll be set for a couple of years.
^ depends what your using the epi VJ for. but for a starter it isn't versatile enough, everyone changes what they play. I started out on Megadeth and now I'm playing everything from classical to jazz to prog to metal
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
well that guitar aparently had the wrong tag, and the wrong clearance tag got put on the wrong guitar haha. That 250 dollar epiphone was actually 700 but they said they woulda matched the 500 I found it for on the net. I also... got the starter kit. But I didnt get THAT starter kit, mine came with...

Squire strat (not a bad starter from what I've read)
Fender Gdec
bag, strap, picks, etc etc. all for about 460 with tax.

THANKS to all for ur help! In the end I just kind of did an impulse buy... I've always done weeks of research on every major purchase I've ever made, but this time I just wanna to get it done and play! I hope my decision was a decent one.... I'll wait till I get my second guitar before I start doin some major research
Last edited by Wiggly at Sep 6, 2007,