If I'm just starting out, what electric guitar choices would you recommend? something that isn't too expensive

and also, what other accessories will I need?

I would like to start off with playing some punk/rock etc.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Sandbox at Sep 6, 2007,
Go used on the guitar. You can find some pretty sweet deals for around $300. Roland cube 30 and a multi effects pedal. Should keep you busy for awhile. The cool thing about about multi effects pedals is even the cheap ones gives you an idea of the tones you like then you can switch to dedicated pedals later without spending more cash then you need to.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Epiphone Les Paul 100 ($270 Canadian), a few picks ($1), a guitar cord (around $7), a set of light electric strings ($5-8$), guitar tuner ($20), guitar strap ($15), and a small 10 Watt Marshall Amp ($120 Canadian). You don't necessarily need a strap but you should get one in my opinion.
I started out with an Ibanez SA120 and i'm still using it becuase it's so damn good.
A Copy guitar from rondomusic, a good little amp (cube or if you wanna go tube, one of the 5 watters), the necessary accessories, and you're all set to go.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
A Copy guitar from rondomusic, a good little amp (cube or if you wanna go tube, one of the 5 watters), the necessary accessories, and you're all set to go.

yup, im very partial to rondomusic.net. i love that lite ash tele they have right now for $120! ive also heard those strat copies they have for $100 or so are good.

nobody would recommend you base all of your decisions on reviews, but harmony-central.com has good reviews of a lot of stuff.
Decent squier strat pack?
Nuff said

(( You can upgrade amp and guitar later right? ))
I don't even shred
Quote by mattvl
Epiphone Les Paul 100 ($270 Canadian), .
Never, ever touch one of these guitars. If you want a Les Paul then have some dignity and at the very least get an Epi LP Studio.
What's your price range and what music do you want to play?

Quote by Nebjy
Decent squier strat pack?
Nuff said

(( You can upgrade amp and guitar later right? ))

Or you could get something not crappy to begin with?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i dont noe if it works the same way for beginners,but when i play a guitar i noe in the first min or 2 if thats the guitar thats for me. u should get wat looks good to u and maybe try it out and if not just get a fender
the new peavey starter pack dont look bad, it comes with a 5 watt all tube amp. hmmm ***** guitar though. it wasnt bad when i started. i played it up till like a year and a half ago. so i played it for a year and a half
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by FacingUsAll
What's your price range and what music do you want to play?

$300-400 is my price range for everything. amp/tuner/guitar etc..

rock/punk is the type of music I'm going for or do I need to be even more specific?

I was actually considering the Squier Strat value packs. I really do not want to spend a lot though. What's not a crappy guitar and still has good value though?
Last edited by Sandbox at Sep 6, 2007,
The Vox AD15VT or Vox DA5 would probably be right up your alley as far as amps go.

The Dean Vendetta 1 is a solid starter guitar.

Quote by scott58
Go used on the guitar. You can find some pretty sweet deals for around $300. Roland cube 30 and a multi effects pedal. Should keep you busy for awhile. The cool thing about about multi effects pedals is even the cheap ones gives you an idea of the tones you like then you can switch to dedicated pedals later without spending more cash then you need to.

Why would he get a modeling amp *and* a multi effects pedal. That's just silly (and sounds pretty crappy to boot).
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Vox DA5 + Yamaha Pacifica

You can keep the Vox after you upgrade in time, because it is great for portable practice and headphone use. Go this route if you would like to have a modelling amp that will introduce you to different amp tones and effects. Then you'll know what you are looking for in an amp when you upgrade.

If you want less versatility but better tone out of your amp, consider a little 5W amp like the Epiphone Valve Jr.

Yamaha Pacificas are great starter guitars that are generally well-made. They are easily upgradeable with better pickups down the road. The Pacifica 112 has an HSS setup, making it very versatile if you aren't clear on what music you'll wind up playing in the end (tastes change!).

I tried the Epiphone mentioned above and found it to sound very muddy on digital modelling amplifiers. But tastes vary, so try it out for yourself.

I'd steer clear of the starter packs -- you can get better guitars & amps for the money if you buy separately.
I was playing punk rock for a long time when i first started out...I suggest getting a Squire Starters package, you get a decent guitar to start out with, and the squire amps can get okay punk sound...its pretty cheap too.
Quote by Steve BP
Vox DA5 + Yamaha Pacifica

I tried the Epiphone mentioned above and found it to sound very muddy on digital modelling amplifiers. But tastes vary, so try it out for yourself. .

You can get great tone out of Epi LP's if you upgrade to gibson pick ups.
Someone suggested that I get a Squier Affinity Stratocaster + Roland Cube 15X Guitar Amp or Roland MicroCube which will be about 250 I believe.

And then there's some squier value packs that comes with these amps: G-DEC Junior Amp/Fender Frontman 15G amp/SP-10 Combo Amp/Bullet 150 DSP Guitar Amplifier

thoughts?
Id go for the squier affinity. I had an older model of that one for a while and they play fine for beginners. Obviously i had to get a new one when I started realising that I needed more frets, but I still use that one as an alternate tuning guitar. I dont why nobobdy seems to like them, theyre excellent for the price....
I want to feel youre body breaking, and shaking, and
left in the cold,
I want to feel youre conscience making, a change to fix
this dying soul....
Quote by Sandbox
Someone suggested that I get a Squier Affinity Stratocaster + Roland Cube 15X Guitar Amp or Roland MicroCube which will be about 250 I believe.

And then there's some squier value packs that comes with these amps: G-DEC Junior Amp/Fender Frontman 15G amp/SP-10 Combo Amp/Bullet 150 DSP Guitar Amplifier

thoughts?

Definitely get a Roland Microcube over the 15x; it has the amp modeling that the Cube series is known for.

I tend to avoid suggesting the low end Squiers and Epiphones as starter guitars to people just because they are relying solely on their shapes to sell them (in essence, you can get more "guitar" for the money elsewhere).
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by ssguitar
the new peavey starter pack dont look bad, it comes with a 5 watt all tube amp. hmmm ***** guitar though. it wasnt bad when i started. i played it up till like a year and a half ago. so i played it for a year and a half

Hmm... a starter set with an all tube amp (i'm assume the royal 8). Now thats starting you off right!

Just don't ever touch a squier. SX = best cheap copy out there. Blows the doors off of a squier. Stay away from the really low end epiphones too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ok all you squier haters have you every tryed it through a decent amp, my guess is no. Like 98% of people that say they suck it's cause they played it ONLY throught the ****ty frontman amp.
My friend uses the Squire Strat with a Line 6 Spider II amp 75W (?) I think and it sounds just fine to me. Has pretty good distortion and that's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure about the price on that amp but it might just be out of my range.

These are the amps that I've narrowed it down to (pretty much):

Randall RX20R
Roland MicroCube
AD15VT
Vox DA5

gagnerants: Would these be considered decent amps and not "****ty frontman amps"? I see you have the Vox AD30VT and that's out of my range.

any other amp suggestions in like the $100-200 range?
The AD15VT is a nice amp to start out with, but you should be careful about getting a squire guitar since the production quality isnt consistent, and playing guitars that cannot stay in tune through an hour jam can get annoying when you play a lot.

Since you are new to guitar, you probably cannot distinguish what is good tone and bad tone right until later down the road you should try to listen to what other experienced guitarists know. What sounds okay now may sound like crap a year or even a few months later.
Last edited by The_Jimi_Jimmy at Sep 7, 2007,
If you're starting out, I would highly recommend using eBay. There are some stupid prices out there, just make sure you purchase something with a brand, as there are some poor replicas too.
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Possibly the best deal you'll get in your price range.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence