Page 1 of 2
Take this time and (use less than a million words please...) and tell everyone why you do what you do.

what drives you as a muscian?
I play to express myself, to have fun, and to get paid
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Live sound from an instrument, and a compulsive personality. :P
Washburn JB100 Customshop USA
Squire Stratocaster, Squire Telecaster, highway 1 tele,
FM65r amp, Marshall MS-4 & FM-15r
Washburn b-9 five string banjo, Eagle dreadnought acoustic. Art & lutherie AMI.
Quote by marmoseti
I play to express myself, to have fun, and to get paid

Same! Not as much the pay thing though
Because the feeling of being up on stage and knowing people are loving your music is the best feeling in the world
I play because I love to be able to make music, I love to sing along too even when it isn't good, its just who I am...
i think evryone has a certain ammount in them and this is my way of letting it out and also because i love music and i reeli wanted to try and make my own or sound like the greats and listenin to music drives me to get better until i am as good as i could possibly be and that will make me feel goo about myself, so i guess its an ego thing as well if you are playing and some says to u that sounds good it makes you feel good about urself and you strive harder to get better so u feel better its a cycle .
Cos no matter how low I feel, when I pick up a guitar, it all goes away and I feel ****ing great
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
Love playing with mates, and know I will love playing on stage at sometime in the near future.... also I love playing my favourite songs!
Because music is the greatest thing in the world.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by AzzA2006
Because the feeling of being up on stage and knowing people are loving your music is the best feeling in the world

that and its gives me a hard on like hell
i love music...always have, and nothings better than being able to play it yourself...
Guitar is LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
because i have a ****ing message to spread Im a maniac a beast!!!!
AJHGAHJAGAHG!!!!!!
IM ****ING INSANE MOTHER ****ER!!!!!!
b3c05 175 f00|<1NZ pwn4g3!!!!!1111111111!!!11!!eleven!!!
And it's fun, gives me something to do...
Nay. Music is not life. Music is a medium of art. Art is the process of imitating, copying or enhancing life itself through the human conscious and subconscious.

Music is not about "relieving stress", "making money", "expressing yourself", "being on stage" or "being a rock star". Those are extremely selfish reasons to make music or art in general.

Playing music should only be about making art.

Too bad that's not true anymore. Today's music would actually sound good if it were.

Anyway, that's why I play: to enhance, to beautify this ****ty world we're all damned to for a lifetime.

**** the money. Leeches. Probably didn't understand a single word I said, huh? LOLZLMAOCUATTHEBOTTOMSUCKAS!
this might get moved or closed as an FYI

but for me....

when i'm in that place, the world disappears and everything goes away
its just me lost in the sound and it feels like love
To get laid.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Recently I've had NO motive to play music.... think it may be too much pot... besides that, when I did have passion, I played it for myself, cuz I was my biggest fan. And it made me feel all warm n fuzzy inside ^^
Because this little guitar playing demon in my head makes me.

And it's the only thing I've ever done that I never get tired of and bored with.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by ontherun
Nay. Music is not life. Music is a medium of art. Art is the process of imitating, copying or enhancing life itself through the human conscious and subconscious.

Music is not about "relieving stress", "making money", "expressing yourself", "being on stage" or "being a rock star". Those are extremely selfish reasons to make music or art in general.

Too bad that's not true anymore. Today's music would actually sound good if it were.

Anyway, that's why I play: to enhance, to beautify this ****ty world we're all damned to for a lifetime.

**** the money. Leeches. Probably didn't understand a single word I said, huh? LOLZLMAOCUATTHEBOTTOMSUCKAS!

I have to say that makes you sound really arrogant, the thread is about why you personally feel driven to play music, not why other people are selfish leeches. It's fine to say you play to make art, but it isn't for you to decide why music should be played
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
it keeps me from constantly being bored. when all the things i used to do got boring to me i took up the instrument and i've been having fun ever since. also id have too much time on my hands and most of that time was spent bored and when im bored i get depressed thinking about stuff. also i want to make it in the music industry like a session guitarist or maybe band member
Quote by marmoseti
I have to say that makes you sound really arrogant, the thread is about why you personally feel driven to play music, not why other people are selfish leeches. It's fine to say you play to make art, but it isn't for you to decide why music should be played

i agree w/ you on this one marmoseti. it's independent of an individual as to what drives them to create what they create. upon reading his post i wanted to reach through my computer, skin his face off and wear it like a mask.
honestly i think its because its an extension of my being if i wanna yell i crank it to 11 and let the neighbors know how i feel no im not emo im irish were very passionate people and thats what i feel that this is a pernament relationship between my physical being and my soul and yes its corny but shh dont tell the arogent guy he might put me down over the internet and ill be al emzorz
epiphone sg
MIM Fender Telecaster
peaveyvalveking 112
behringer pedal:TO800, UD100, EQ700
custom pedal board
goals for 0

-to sing
-sing & play
-have succesful first show
Quote by marmoseti

I completely agree my friend. and i think it is a little messed up that this guy calls us selfish for doing for all of our own personal reasons. i dont think Michaelangelo painted to get chicks, but i know for sure he didnt do it to make the ENTIRE WORLD A BETTER PLACE FOREVER!!

music is, as someone posted earlier, self expression. its also art. but the underlying matter here is that all art comes from self expression. Even Picaso had his blue period. even rock has emo music. everything is about human interactions and our feelings about them.

and lastly, here is my reason for why i play. 1. because i like it. its fun and challenging 2. through the learning process of music i have learned to get out certain emotions and tribulations through music. 3. Because everyone has that song on their mixed cd or that they hear on the radio that makes them and everyone in the car jump around to, or when you are down it will pcik you up. I want to make those songs for other people. That comfort that certain sogns gives you is my drive.
I play because otherwise I would still be spending 18+ hours/day on the computer trying desperately to kill everything that moves in a multitude of games. It makes me feel better, too. Now instead of pretending to blow things up I can cause my neighbor's cats to explode. After all, everybody knows that damage caused in real life is vastly superior to ph4t purple lewtzors. Kinda. A little bit. Maybe. I still play Counter Strike: Source and Warcraft 3: TFT a bit, but much, much less than previously. And, as Troyponce mentioned, it's much easier to get laid with a guitar than with the severed heads of creatures that never actually existed.
Studies show that 89.27% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
Quote by ontherun

oh shut the hell up you arrogant asshole. would you like an empty wine glass for your farts?

"Making art" doesn't help relieve some of your stress? You don't want to make money off your art, thereby making it possible for you to dedicate your entire life to enhancing and beautifying and whatever the hell other kinda bull**** your pompous ass claims to aim to do? And music is not about expressing yourself??? You yourself call it art! Since when is art NOT about expressing yourself?!

jesus christ monkey balls, kid. you... you're a moron.

and I'm just curious... where did you get the money for the musical instruments you play?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
oh shut the hell up you arrogant asshole. would you like an empty wine glass for your farts?

"Making art" doesn't help relieve some of your stress? You don't want to make money off your art, thereby making it possible for you to dedicate your entire life to enhancing and beautifying and whatever the hell other kinda bull**** your pompous ass claims to aim to do? And music is not about expressing yourself??? You yourself call it art! Since when is art NOT about expressing yourself?!

jesus christ monkey balls, kid. you... you're a moron.

and I'm just curious... where did you get the money for the musical instruments you play?
lolzorz!!!!1!!!!!11
Someone can't take an oppinion, can you guess who can't?
That same someone has also made him/herself look hypocritical.

And to TS, partially to get laid, partially because I apparently have "social problems" (my friend psychoanalysed me for a psychology class ), partially because its more fun than homework. Take your pick.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by pinktie
i love music...always have, and nothings better than being able to play it yourself...

+1
Quote by demonofthenight
lolzorz!!!!1!!!!!11
Someone can't take an oppinion, can you guess who can't?
That same someone has also made him/herself look hypocritical.

I responded to an opinion with a different opinion. It's a forum. On the internet. People tend to do that.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
i play because its like a drug. Its the best addiction thuogh, the only addiction that actually benefits you! Do it long enough and you'll be a great guitarist.

For me life is about: Religion, Love, and Art (music and guitar)

just my 2 cents
X JAPAN
yoshiki.toshi.pata.hide.heath/taiji

---------------

"desert rose, why do you live alone..." - yoshiki
Page 1 of 2