sorry im kinda in a hurry, what humbucker would get a nice tight sound from an alder guitar?

like alice in chains and tool

thx
probally wont be able to get too heavy.
obivously you can try the EMG 81 in the bridge...but it might not do exactly what you want it to.
the wood is too big of a factor. get a different guitar for other genres would be my suggestions...or just get over it and play even with the tonal lack you want
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
You nuts boy??? An EMG will just make things even treblier.

TS, if you want more "oomph" from the lower mids and just general old-school balls then stick a Dimarzio Breed in there. If you want a shreddier sound with some low-end grind then you could go with a Tone Zone but I reckon the Breed's the one.

More to the point though, what amp you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Nailbomb humbuckers, by Bare Knuckle Hand-Wound Pickups LTD. =]

just google bare knuckle pickups.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
I have an alder guitar with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position. That combined with 250k pots gives me some oomph and using it with a high output bridge pickup (SHR-1 hot rails) darkens my sound.
Does anyone know the song that goes: ba ba bah, ba ba buh, bu ba bum, ba ba bah, ba bu buh, bu bu bum, bu ba bu bu bum baam?
Last edited by Peeno at Sep 6, 2007,
i swapped the 81/85's of my jackson (made of alder) around so the 85 is in the bridge. it sounds filthy palm mutes have a lot more b33f.
^ yeah, an 85 is the way to go for alder if you must go EMG, IMO (especially if you want more girth).

tone zone would be a good choice too, as steven seagull suggested.

Bareknuckle are reliably good, but i haven't tried any aimed at that tone (though they doubtless do them). Ditto swineshead. And ditto bulldog.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
okay, i have a marshall DSL 401 and an Epiphone Special out of alder that i'm trying to soup up to where i can at least play it on stage. i have an Ibanez RG1570, but you can't switch tunings on stage with it.

EDIT: and i don't really care for active pick ups, i was thinking more along the lines of a seymour duncan pickup? like maybe the SH6 (or whatever)
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 6, 2007,
Cantrell does use an alder bodied guitar. I don't know what he uses pickups wise, but turn up the bass. During soloes, I think he uses a compresser alot. Picking up a Mahago body would help.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Nah, the Distortion is pretty treble-heavy. I don't think there's a Duncan that comes close to chucking out the amount of lower midrange that the Breed does...if you want a fat, chunky sound it's probaby your best bet. If oyu want something with more output and a more modern voicing then the Swineshead X-Bucker might be worth a look too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
agreed on both the distortion and xbucker (from what i hear on the xbucker, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HAY! Dimarzio Breed very 'beefy' pickup
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
HAY! Dimarzio Breed very 'beefy' pickup

Breed? which one, there seem to be several of those.