Hi guys,

I've been playing around two years now, and I'm not sure why but I've never asked about this, because I've never been sure what I'm doing wrong.

On the high E string i find it hard to do vibrato. I doing it by moving the string up and down, although I've seen people do it from side to side, although only on an acoustic guitar. My question is, am I doing it right (up and down that is) or should I switch from going from side to side? And when I do do it, I find I can't do it on that string well because I end up with the string coming off the side of the fretboard.

Thanks!

- Charlie
do the side by side....i do it like that on the electric and it works on the E string...but not as good as its done on the G or D string......
Gear :

Hofner HS-506
Squier Bullet Strat.......(Sucks ??....maybe.. But i like it )
Marshall MG15CD
Last edited by german_46 at Sep 6, 2007,
side to side is for acustic and classical play only use up and down

the high e is tricky though
you just have to keep ur vibrato narrow dont get to wide with it
My Crap
Peavey Raptor EXP
Ibanez G10
Peavey Milestone 2 bass

Peavey Backstage
Fender Bronco

Rocktron Silver Dragon distortion
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
FAB Flange

You know life is like a box of chocolates IT FUCKIN SWEET
i ALWAYS over do it ...it makes me soo angry
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Ok, thanks guys, I've come to the conclusion that I'm overdoing it!!!

Haha, cheers :P
You should come to the conclusion that you do what you want. Everyone saying 'HAY GUISE DEW IT LIEK SIED 2 SIED!" or "DEW IT UP ND DON!", you're wrong. He does it the way he does it, you do it the way you do it. So, to the threadstarter, do what you want.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Steve The Plank
He asked for help.

Sand in the vagina?
I gave him help. I told him to do what he wants.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Alright fellas! Stop bickering like lil' kids! I actually feel embarrased for you guys! Make love and not war! Anyways to the TS, the high e is a bit of a bitch 'cos you have to, if you do your vibratos with an up- down motion, bend it upwards more than when you do with the 5 other strings. You could do it side to side but if you do do the upward- downward motion, there's honestly no other way then sheer hardwork and determination. You've gotta start off slow and get the motion down before you think about speed! Good luck with it!

Cheers
Current Rig:

Ibanez GRG270dx
DOD 40watt amp (don't know the model)
Dunlop Crybaby (moded)

I know it's sad but it'll do for now.

Member of the Nasi Lemak Appreciation Club!
Quote by Ibanez20th
Push to the middle rather than off the fretboard.

Excellent advise. I went over to my guitar to check and see how I do it. It seems I unconsciously push it toward the middle, and when I do the low E I pull toward the middle. Never really thought about it.
Push to the middle

That's how I do it, and I still have to be careful...

I also do a vibrato with my index finger, by twisting the wrist side to side quickly and letting the index finger "wobble" along with it. Doing this you have to keep the other fingers out, away from the neck. It's tricky on the high E, but can be done, and I still slip off the fretboard now and then.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...