So, firstoff, i'd like to apologize if im being a "Froob", "Noob", or "Fagz0r" by posting this in the wrong place.

Anyways

So, I usually never turn the "Master" of my Spider III up past 4, right?

Its loud enough, it sounds good. Way to go.

Well....

Over the weekend, I maxed it out.

(Dumb, Yes, Dont remind me)

And now it rattles at low-frequencies, and will randomly make a whining-popping noise.

A guitar-repair guy I talked to said that it may be something about "Cones" and how I could "Probobly fix it by hand, if I was REALLY careful and REALLY dedicated".

So, Could anyone guide me through/ Show me instruction as to how to take my amp apart and get rid of that damn rattle?

Im fairly good with electronics - IF I know what im doing. But therein lies the problem - I dont.

Thanks!
Quote by grimreaper65
I'm not racist, I love black people.

I think everybody should own one...

*runs*

prepare for flaming on ur spider.
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

The speaker is damaged if I interpret the cones correctly as speaker cones. Either replace it if you are good with electronics, know what to get and are prepared to void the warrenty.

Or use the warrenty and get it repaired or pay if you are out of warrenty.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Try and use the warranty, if not, you can recone your speaker (I don't know how to do this) or buy another one.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
How long is the warranty for?
I've had it for about two years (Got it on my 15th Birthday)

Isnt the warranty only for a year?
Quote by grimreaper65

*runs*

Check the booklets you got when you got the amp. If you binned them, you deserve to pay for it yourself.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Right. 4 things:

1.Dont flame this guy for having a spider. They are perfectly good practice amps.
2.The spider 3 has definitly not been out for two years.
3.Dont max out a practice amp.

4.If you really wanna re-cone a speaker, take it out, and look for small rips in the cone. If it shudders when the Bass is turned up, look at the edge of the cone. Look for little rips, and using THIN masking tape (make sure its ultra sticky) cover the rip with it. Dont let the edges of the tape curl up.

Thats what I did to an old Vox speaker, it sounds grand now.

But if its under warranty, send it away instead.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
^^Don't get that same amp, it is way overpriced.

Threadstarter, I think you're pretty much screwed if it's anything more than speakers or a loose screw, because if you take it apart you'll find it's all circuit boards, and those are a pain in the ass to fix. It's like working on a computer, because that's what it is.

How long have you had it? Because if it's only been a month or so, you should take it back and get a better amp. A good tube amp is meant to be cranked, and sounds much better when it is.

Oh, and this belongs in Guitar Gear and Accessories

PinkEdit: They might be good practice and beginners amps, but they're still way overpriced.
Quote by deathscyth76
How long is the warranty for?
I've had it for about two years (Got it on my 15th Birthday)

Isnt the warranty only for a year?

The Spider III series <b>definately</b> has not been out for two years.
Are you sure it isn't a Spider II?

Either way, the tape and speaker approach sounds like it should solve your problem, and if it doesn't, then unfortunately you probably ruined your amp.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
you say that guys, i did a similar thing to mine, and it's not the speaker in my case, tbh, I still don't know what it is and i cba to find out, just saying that it might not solve the problem by replacing the speaker
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Try to replace the speaker. Not many practice amps have speakers that can really handle the amp on "10." The electronics should be fine, there's probably just a rip in the speaker cone, as suggested by the guy you asked.
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Its defenitely a speaker cone.

I have no problem ripping it open - Electronics dont bother me.

I actually have a little computer-customizing buisness I do in my spare-time for friends. So im pretty damn tech-savvy

And yes, Im DAMN sure its a Spider 3 30-Watt. But I'll double-check.

Just for you fine people here at UG
Quote by grimreaper65

*runs*

Kind of off topic.
My crate B150, if I 'put it to ten' how would the speaker handle?
I'm considering buying a new speaker, but I have no clue about how much a speaker can take/how to tell how loud it'll go/ how much an amp will put out.
spiders suck
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
spiders suck

You can say what you want, and alot of people may agree with yah, but people can like what they want. It's their choice. If you ask me it's a great amp, but it truely is overpriced. Also flaming isn't a nice thing, If you don't like spiders why did you come into this forum?

Kk back to topic. Yup the tape plan should work pretty decently. I've also heard rumors that you can use a good adhesive superglue onto the tape to help out with it. I've never had this problem and nor' do i want to, but I hear stuff in the grape vine ^_^
^I wouldnt go putting adhesives or chemicals in my amp....

And threadstarter, for us "Fine people at UG" I can tell you that the Spider 3's have not been on the market for 3 years. Fact.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by WickedBeast666
You can say what you want, and alot of people may agree with yah, but people can like what they want. It's their choice. If you ask me it's a great amp, but it truely is overpriced. Also flaming isn't a nice thing, If you don't like spiders why did you come into this forum?

Kk back to topic. Yup the tape plan should work pretty decently. I've also heard rumors that you can use a good adhesive superglue onto the tape to help out with it. I've never had this problem and nor' do i want to, but I hear stuff in the grape vine ^_^

dude i have a spider, and they sound good for like 2 weeks then it starts to dull down and reality sets in and you realize you just blew 300 usd that could have been spent saving up for an original jmp that was 500 usd. also like the jack and everything on mine dont stay tight, none of the sounds have good bass response , pick up harmonics well. the tone controls dont do much either they are not sensitive at all. i wasn't flamming i was speacking from expirence. i have had mine for 4 years now and yes it is a spider 2 which is the spider 3 minus the presets that all sound the smaeish
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
Quote by t heff
dude i have a spider, and they sound good for like 2 weeks then it starts to dull down and reality sets in and you realize you just blew 300 usd that could have been spent saving up for an original jmp that was 500 usd. also like the jack and everything on mine dont stay tight, none of the sounds have good bass response , pick up harmonics well. the tone controls dont do much either they are not sensitive at all. i wasn't flamming i was speacking from expirence. i have had mine for 4 years now and yes it is a spider 2 which is the spider 3 minus the presets that all sound the smaeish

Lol, well you could of said from experience, but maybe you just got a bad one. I bought mine used a 75 watt 3 for about 120 bucks usd <-- cuz i agree with you on price but 120 bucks for a hardly used spider is hard to pass up --> and everything on it is as solid as a rock, It picks up my harmonics nicely, even for my crappy guitar, and has great responce. Also all my controls on it work great and even are sensitive. Even more so then my guitar. I've owned it for about a year now with out a single problem and it can still shake stuff off of my shelves. Just to be clear though They do not compare to tubes though....
Quote by WickedBeast666
Y If you ask me it's a great amp,

/QUOTE]1. Learn to spell
2. Spiders suck. They are way too digital sounding and have no low end.

Don't fake quote me please. I say this because I never, and I repeat NEVER use "Y" as a word in it'self.
1. learn to quote real things
2. If you hate spiders so much why are you clicking on a link to a thread that is obviously about them?
3. Re-read #1. before we have anymore conflics.
4. Read some reviews that are not by "Fanatics" or by "haters" go for mid range, that's where you'll get your truth about items. Or go from personal experience, but remember there are defects with-in product lines.

<edit> The real line
If you ask me it's a great amp
<-- an opinion and nothing more.
Last edited by WickedBeast666 at Sep 8, 2007,