Page 1 of 5
Hello there! My name is Wayne Johansen and i am 56 years of age. I started playing guitar (Aocustical) at the age of 15 and played on ever since!
As my profession i work at the Gibson Custom Shop factory and been doing that 18 years. Before that i worked at the, we can call it the "normal" Gibson factory.
So when it comes to guitars i am a Gibson man and i own plently and i mean plenty of Gibson, mainly Les Pauls. Including a original 58 and 59.
That should cover the most and i think i will enjoy staying here with my fellow musicians! Althought i suspect most people here are teenagers!
Howdy.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Wayne Johansen
Although i suspect most people here are teenagers!

yep, not all though
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Being a Gibson Custom Shop worker, have you ever built your own guitar, not a Les Paul or SG, but your own personal creation?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Can we get some discount??

EDIT: a more serious question. How much does it actually cost to build... let's say a $3000 guitar do you reckon?

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Incredible! Welcome aboard!

Any well known artists you've worked on guitars for?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by p.stick
a more serious question. How much does it actually cost to build... let's say a $3000 guitar do you reckon?

I think you mean what's the profit margin on say a Custom Gibson blah blah blah .

I'm guessing $2000 .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Wayne Johansen
Althought i suspect most people here are teenagers!

Ya, mostly. But I'm almost up there with ya! I'm at 50!

I'm not a big Les Paul fan, but I've got 3 Gibsons all from 74 (just coincidence).

IMO, the BEST solid body Gibson every produced was the L5S. One of the most
amazing guitars ever and the workmanship on the 70's models was top notch.
What happened to them!?

I've got 2 L5S's and a Super 400CES.
Quote by p.stick
EDIT: a more serious question. How much does it actually cost to build... let's say a $3000 guitar do you reckon?

lol He would be a FORMER Gibson employee if he were to publicly answer that question honestly.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by FacingUsAll
I think you mean what's the profit margin on say a Custom Gibson blah blah blah .

I'm guessing $2000 .

I bet it's a good bit less than that.
Welcome to the forums. What's your opinion on the Reverse V? Most people here seem not to like it, but I think it's sexy (I'm kind of a big glam/hair metal guy). So, how do you feel about it?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
LOL he can't spell acoustic.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Whatup man! You must have like the 'awesomest' job on the planet! Not saying that Gibsons or the guitars they produce are the best but you must be brilliant with your hands and anytime you feel those creative juices flowing, you can whip up your own creation! Lucky man!

Welcome to the forum mate!

Cheers
Current Rig:

Ibanez GRG270dx
DOD 40watt amp (don't know the model)
Dunlop Crybaby (moded)

I know it's sad but it'll do for now.

Member of the Nasi Lemak Appreciation Club!
I find it hard to believe that the Gibson custom shop would hire someone who can't spell Acoustic.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
I find it hard to believe that the Gibson custom shop would hire someone who can't spell Acoustic.

yet they hire lawyers who can't tell the difference between a PRS singlecut and a Les Paul...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You all realize he had only reversed two letters, right?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
yeah, but i wanted to get the cheap shot in.

Seriously, though, welcome to the forum!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all. I got a couple questions and ill do my best answering them

For doodleface: In my earlier days i made some straight out wicked guitars yes.

For P.Stick: That does depend on what model it is but i can honestly tell everybody that a 3000$+ Les Paul is overpriced. Simple reason beeing it is so popular and people are willing to pay for it. So naturally Gibson charges more for it.

For Bazilisck311: I have met Joe Perry a few times in our factory. We also had a talk about, not suprisingly music and guitars! Other than that several wisits from other guitar players to our factory with minor talking.

For SupremeACL: I think it is straight out horrible! It goes against the nature of how a Flying V is supposed to be but that is a matter of taste.
Why hello there. Nice to see some mature people coming on the forums. I really think you can help the newer people with their guitar choices. I look forward to seeing you around. Welcome to UG!
Do you believe the Epiphone brand are faithful reproductions of a Gibson model? Are there any models or areas you find Epiphone excels over Gibson? What do you think of the Epiphone brand overall?

Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Wayne Johansen
Hello there! My name is Wayne Johansen and i am 56 years of age. I started playing guitar (Aocustical) at the age of 15 and played on ever since!
As my profession i work at the Gibson Custom Shop factory and been doing that 18 years. Before that i worked at the, we can call it the "normal" Gibson factory.
So when it comes to guitars i am a Gibson man and i own plently and i mean plenty of Gibson, mainly Les Pauls. Including a original 58 and 59.
That should cover the most and i think i will enjoy staying here with my fellow musicians! Althought i suspect most people here are teenagers!

i just bought a explorer and the anchors in the bridge can be seen. it is partially covered on the other side. Is this bad or common? what discounts do you get on their guitars? How do you get a job there?
Welcome to the forum! First of all, I wanna tell you that you have my dream job! I'm going to the Roberto Venn School of Luthiery soon, and I hope to get a job at Gibson. Do you have any tips on how to get hired to a guitar company? Also, how long did you work at the "normal" factory before getting up to the custom shop?
Well I think that I speak for all of the Ultimate-Guitar.com community when I say WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!!! We would love to see some creations! Also, what section do you work in? Are you a paint guy, a fret filer, inlay guy etc? It seems like such a cool job to work for Gibson!
1.) Pics, or it didn't happen.

2.) Sorry for being sceptical, but a 56 year old who misses out on 'Acoustical' and 'Plenty', poor punctuation and bad grammar? Doesn't seem right, unless you've been in the factory for 18 years without writing so much as a sentence.

3.) If you are or you aren't who you say you are, a warm welcome.
Well i think the only part where Epiphone beats Gibson is Value. But i like Epiphone, theyr guitars has very good Value. And the quality is also great for what you pay.

Kai29 about your explorer i only work in the Custom shop so i dont have an eye on whats happening on the other factory. My discounts are awesome! I pay less than 600$ for a LP standard. I am only obligated to buy for myself, but i got very nice discounts. There are many jobs in Gibson but im guessing you want to build guitars. You will need a Luthier Diploma and after that ask for an apprentice place in the factory.

Green Sponge only tip i can give is to doo a good job! Atleast here in Gibson anybody that wants a job starts as an apprentice under supervision. I worked 13 years in the "normal" factory before i got a job at the Custom factory. Once i got to the Custom section i was under supervision at first.

r.s.v There are factory tour videos on the Gibson Website and photos! I mostly work with the necks. I do everything related to the neck. But it happends i do something with the body itself but i never paint the guitars! I have a few times for fun and it didnt go well.

Don humpador i dont type anything at my job. And aslong as you can read what im typing we have no problem!

As a side question have you people experienced an addiction to this wesbite? Because i am.
Wayne Johansen I must say it's nice to somebody like you here. First I was scared that you would be very biased towards Gibson, but that's not the case and it seems that you seem like a great guy!

Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^^ The addiction gets us all at one time or another.

I wish I could be a luthier, and infact I hope to be one some day. I just wish I knew how to get my foot in the door, but I'm 15 so I have plenty of time to figure that out! Well, what kind of colleges offer Luthier training? Which ones are the best and most esteemed?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Well, welcome to the forums, I'm fairly new here too and over 50 so you won't be the only "old fart" around here, and I know of a couple others so far.

LOL he can't spell acoustic.

For the record, I think it was an unintentional typo, not spelled wrong.

Les Pauls...I wish I could find one with a neck that doesn't play like a baseball bat. I think I've played one LP in 45 years as a guitarist that actually had a comfortable neck, that one was a '60 or '61 gold top. The guy refused to even think about selling it. And he could just barely play at all...

Why are those damn things made with such fat necks? I can't play them at all, 15 minutes and my arm hurts up to the elbow, due to a wrist injury and severed ring finger tendon I've dealt with since 1968. I have to play slimmer necks, like a lot of Fender guitars, Moserites etc. I've wanted a LP for years but can't find one with a slim enough neck. When I bought my first electric, Les Pauls were the first ones I picked up, ended up with a Moserite. The only LP's I have liked were off brand japanese or korean copies, a Lotus in particular that I once owned and like a dummy sold later.

Anyway, glad to have you with us, and since we seem to have someone here from Gibson, I wanted to put in a long standing complaint about those LP necks. Too fat...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Wilkommen, just asking, i have about 2000 dollars, whats the best way to get a jimmy page les paul? like how to mod a cheaper one? Atm is seems like il be ordering an edwards from japan, who make a relic'd model, any ideas?
Anykind of luthier education will do. You will learn to build guitars once you are an apprentice in the factory.

Paleo Pete the reason why the necks are fat is because the body in most Les Pauls are solid body and and heavy. So the necks also has to be strong, and therefore fat. Of course there is also the sound!

Minibrowny im afraid 2000$ isint enought to build a somewhat simular LP like the Jimmy Page Signature LP. Not a Gibson version that is. I admit the Signature LP is overpriced but nothing i can do about.

p.stick i will check that section!
Quote by Wayne Johansen
Sorry edg i missed your question. It simply went out of production!

Oh, I was just curious. Anything you know about the L5S you could share?

I bought my 1st around 1980 used. I think I read somewhere once, Gibson
considered it their ultra-fancy Les Paul (at the time). I considered it the best
solid body guitar I'd ever played (what a neck!) until I got an Alembic.

In terms of information about the L5S, most books I've seen don't even mention
its existance, those that do the info is very brief.

It's just such an awesome guitar, I'm surprised it never stuck around or was more
popular.
Welcome to the forums!

Can you convince Gibson to make more RDs? Or a some sort of RD reissue?
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
Well i do like Fender Stratocasters. Awesome guitars! I do prefer a Fender Stratocaster infront of a Gibson SG. Fender Strats feels nicer and have so much more versitality. They are great! For me nothing is better than a damn fine Gibson LP but a Fender Stratocaster is a well woarthy number 2. I dont have much experience with brands like Jackson or PRS but i know they are good also.

I do know it came into production 72 and it was a solid body version of Gibson L-5.
Thats up for the guys in costumes. But i can tell them you asked for that. I promise that! I am talking about the RDs
Last edited by Wayne Johansen at Sep 6, 2007,
So what is the deal when you want a guitar? do they let you make your own, then get it painted, or do you have to buy one after production for a discounted price. And yes, this site is very addicting
Page 1 of 5