hey UGers, I have an essay to write in school comparing two different books. I'm thinking of reading 1984 and was wondering; what's a good novel to compare it to? Or even, what are two other good novels to compare? Thanks!
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Sep 6, 2007,
Dr. Sues Green Eggs and Ham
UG Villians Club

DRACULA

Quote by James_Water2
I want to bring sexy back and then leave with it and when everyone is like holy crap where did sexy go I'd say I have Sexy and im bring it back again. But then Sexy will leave me and i will be homeless.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
hey UGers, I have an essay to write in school comparing two different books. I'm thinking of reading 1984 and was wondering; what's a good novel to compare it to? Or even, what are two other good novels to compare? Thanks!

Anything to do with controlling people.
Try "Never Let me Go" by kazuo Ishiguro
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Sorry man, I don't know a thing about "shool."

Sad to say I haven't read 1984, but from the plot summary I just read on wikipedia, maybe you can compare it to Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Sep 6, 2007,
1984, hmmmm, maybe Anthem, maybe Fareinheit(sp?) 451. i hate reading but both those books are actually good.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Brazil, trust me, its basically a similar plot , about a distopian society, but portrayed in a different way. Unless you're a tard. Then Hungry Caterpillar should be adequate
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
read animal farm, its another one by the same author
and wu be good to compare the different ways he approaches a fictional setting and one that is based on true events
idk what its about or who wrote it(from the top of my head it sounds like an H.G. Wells novel), but you can compare it to anything right? just pick anothe book u wanna read and do that, there are always gonna be similarities and differences between them
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
That's a good suggestion as well. Fahrenheit 451 explores the life of a man in the future, where books are illegal and are burned in his time. In fact, he is a firefighter who burns those books, but dares to read one and becomes addicted. You can draw lots of ties to other books with this one, methinks.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by SnakeByyt
Dr. Sues Green Eggs and Ham

haha
Quote by closertofreewil
I officially hate you SBLAKELELY.

PSN ID: blakerz92
add me
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Similar themes and whatnot.

Have a look, trust me.
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Anthem is almost exactly like 1984 except society went backward in time instead of forward. Should only take a day to read on and off, an hour if you power read. Author is Ann Raynd
thanks guys , I'll check these books out. Two of my friends are also reading 1984, but one is comparing it to Animal Farm and the other to Farenheit 451 (which seems like the perfect book to compare it to). I sorta want to have an original essay but I've wanted to read 1984 for a while now...
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Sep 6, 2007,
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned.

A Clockwork Orange. Even a film to help the lazy get the gist of the plot (the slang in the book had me confused to first time I read it) but it has a fairly similar situation to 1984 and both show forced conformity and (more A Clockwork Orange, but also 1984) raise to issue of morality and the government using torture to force its views upon people and obedience.

ACO has Alex being forced to feel ill with drugs while watching violent films so his body feels sick everytime he thinks about being violent (he enjoys ultraviolence (violence for the sake of violence), rape, drugs, (jailed for) murder and classical music). This way he is forced to go against his nature and conforms to society (won't spoil the ending).

1984 Mr. X (forgot the main character) is jailed for disibedience, and undergoes a regieme of torture to bend his mind to the governments views.

Differenced could include how Alex is consious of his changed state and longs for its reversal, while X was completely brainwashed into his new state of mind he is willing to die 'pure', so comparing the different approaches on morality, though in both cases, the reader is lead to feel appaled at what had hapened to the main characters, even though X enjoys the change and Alex would prefer to be increadibly violent, due to the forced change of their actions through their minds.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Harry Potter and the half-black chick
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I hated Anthem. Crap book with crap theme
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by John W
Harry Potter and the half-black chick

What about Harry Potter and the Stoned Sorcerer.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
What about Harry Potter and the Stoned Sorcerer.

phail...
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*