Basically my friend found two guys and got a band going, which has gone pretty well so far, waiting for some CD records we did at a course to be mixed etc, and played a pretty solid but small gig. It was at a music course where my friend met the other two players, the lead guitarist and the drummer, and I had planned on going but couldn't at the time, but filled in on bass when they were in limbo on that issue

Essentially yeah I can play a bit of bass, but the fact of the matter is, and one that they regard as true as well is that I am a better guitar player than both of them, and also have a lot more knowledge of musical theory etc. My desire is to get onto guitar, especially as I've spent quite a lot regarding equipment etc, but as I was last in, and didn't contribute to the writing of our first few songs it's been handed down I should play bass, however of late I've started to write a lot more material, started writing a lot more lyrics etc than everyone else

Is there any way to persuade one of the guitar players to switch to bass without seeming a prick? My initial idea was to get my friend who also does the vocals to move to bass, as especially as we get more technical in structure the guitar work is getting a lot more demanding and to juggle them both would be tough. The drummer thinks I should be on guitar, the other two do as well but not at the expense of themselves, I don't know tbh what the hell to do

I am not 100% against playing bass, but I find I can't write good complimentary basslines, as some of the riffs are just to tough to play like-for-like on bass than on guitar. It would be shame to ruin things between us because we are pretty good and there's no creative differences, which for the sort of stuff I like playing (metal/death metal of the more technical kind) is really hard to find kindred spirits in Belfast.
Play bass, maybe talk to your bandmates about switchin off.

The guys i've been jammin with, the three of us can all play guitar bass an drums to varying degress of efficiency, but fairly close to one another, and when we jam, we all trade off bits an parts an such. can be good fun if you do it right.
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
Discuss it between you and I'm sure you'll come up with another alternative. Also, don't think that playing bass is downgrading you because there's a hell of a lot you can do to shine as a bassist! Hope it all resolves itself.
signature
Oh believe me I'm not devaluing the bass as an instrument, it's just I can't really do the things I'd like with it, guitar on the other hand after 6 years of playing I have more of an affinity with it

As I said it's not one of those crucial things, and I'd rather be having a good time with guys who share my musical tastes, cheers for the advice
Iron Maiden seems to come to mind. Look at their bassist- he plays bass live but writes almost everything. Unfortunately, the situation will probably arise where one of them leaves, allowing you to take their spot. The other problem is that you're probably going to find more guitarists than bassists, so you might find yourself stuck. As DaveDaThrasha said, try trading off, and who knows, one of them might decide they like playing bass a whole lot better.
I used to play guitar only in my band... but our bassist quit on us, so we were without a bassist. I picked up the bass for the next practice and have been there ever since. It isn't a bad instrument to pick up. Plus, if you have music theory knowledge, you can create all sorts of parts that you couldn't do as a rhythm guitarist.
Quote by belialonmyback
Iron Maiden seems to come to mind. Look at their bassist- he plays bass live but writes almost everything. Unfortunately, the situation will probably arise where one of them leaves, allowing you to take their spot. The other problem is that you're probably going to find more guitarists than bassists, so you might find yourself stuck. As DaveDaThrasha said, try trading off, and who knows, one of them might decide they like playing bass a whole lot better.

Bassists and drummers are almost impossible to find. Easier to find a singer or guitarist... keep that in mind.