i've been playing guitar for three years and am now learning bass. i wanted to know if there are any habits i might have from guitarr playing i would want to avoid while learning. also for slap: i've got the pop right but what should i be doing with my hand for the slap. any help would be appreciated
MY BANDS

Phat Toosday and the Astro-Bus
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ptabmusic

Lets All Get Superpowers
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/lags

Hobstolopho
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
im kinda in the same situation as you, although i dnt yet have a bass, basically for slap keep your hand slightly open so ur ready to pop, but hit the string with a slight fisted shape to slap
thats what i do anyway, sounds orite, just frets i need to get used to, and playing finger style
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
smack the string near the bridge with your the outside edge of your thumb. that's what i do for the slap.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Quote by bite_the_bullet
smack the string near the bridge with your the outside edge of your thumb. that's what i do for the slap.

It's near the base neck, not the bridge.

Relax your wrist and bounce your thumb off the string and take it away to let the note sound.

Also try use all your left hand, alot of guitarists dont do that when they switch.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
yea. id say getting used to playing fingerstyle if u want would be a little hard. Idk wat kind of style u want to play, so its kinda hard to say what not to do. Going crazy, unless ur playing like Flea, generally sounds not too great. Just know wat ur doing and u should be fine.
I think you'll need to totally readapt your left hand to the bass. On guitar, slanted fingers and your thumb over the side of the fretboard is totally acceptable, if not encouraged. On the bass, if you want to be successful and play with easy, you need to keep the print of your thumb on the back of the neck while placing each finger by one fret. Make sure your fingers are parallel to the frets (i.e. don't play like John Mayer).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think you'll need to totally readapt your left hand to the bass. On guitar, slanted fingers and your thumb over the side of the fretboard is totally acceptable, if not encouraged. On the bass, if you want to be successful and play with easy, you need to keep the print of your thumb on the back of the neck while placing each finger by one fret. Make sure your fingers are parallel to the frets (i.e. don't play like John Mayer).

good advice!

slap and pop is a cool way to impress non-bassplayers, but unless your playing funk, or in a RCHP cover band, it is the least of important things to learn. bass is all about the groove. the bass and the drums lay down a foundation for the rest of the band to build on. think about scales, and modes. once your ears start hearing it, you'll find out that the bass, drives the bands sound. my only point in this rant is, there is way more to bass than just slap.
The three dudes above me have to covered completely. Heed their advice.