So, many of you may know our friend Stone Gossard from his work with Pearl Jam as a rhythm guitarist and frequently-contributing songwriter. However, he also was in a side project called Brad (and from what I have heard, they are pretty good), and also released a solo album called "Bayleaf" in 2001. I actually bought it off iTunes, and I was impressed. It kind of reminded me of John Frusciante (yes, RHCP fanboys, John Frusciante), and I thought it was a pretty big depart from Pearl Jam.

So, anyone else discovered either of these projects?
The.
You know he was also in Green river, motherlove bone, and Temple of the dog right?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
You know he was also in Green river, motherlove bone, and Temple of the dog right?

Ya, but I think there are threads for those already...somewhere...

There aren't any Brad threads or Stone Gossard threads, according to my search.
The.
haha alright just making sure

Bayleaf was pretty cool, but i never heard any brad. links?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I am yet to hear Stone's solo work. Is it very different to Pearl Jam? Is it all instrumental?
...Life Sucks Then You Die...
Quote by hunger_strike
I am yet to hear Stone's solo work. Is it very different to Pearl Jam? Is it all instrumental?

No, he sings on it. He has a pretty good voice, actually. It reminds me of Neil Young, but better. Also, a few other people sing on it, but I forget who.

I'd say it's a worthy pickup, but only if you're a hardcore Pearl Jam fan.
The.
I've only heard Mother Love Bone, I ****ing love some of their songs, but I'd have thought that was more Andrew Wood's doing than Stone's.

I always noticed that Stone was credited with writing the PJ song I liked the most, so I wouldn't be surprised if I like all of his work.
Brad is ok. The second album, Interiors, is a pretty good album. The very last album they released, Welcome to Discovery Park, is so-so. I will say that Brad is pretty much the baby of Shawn Smith. He is the vocalist (a falsetto), piano player, and principle song writer, and Brad is one of many groups he is a member of (the others being Satchel, which, as far as sound goes, is indistinguishable from Brad but with different personnel, and Pigeonhead, kind of a techno band I suppose).

I think Brad is worth a listen, but I don't think you will be wowed by Gossard's contributions, as Smith tends to dominate the band.

I have yet to acquire Bayleaf, but have read some good reviews of it, and listened to some clips on Amazon.
Discolored skin gives me away.
A little more about Shawn Smith, although I don't want to hi-jack this thread. Pulled this off his wiki page:

"From The North is Shawn's newest band with core members of Malfunkshun (Regan Hagar, Kevin Wood, Cory Kane) and the lyrics left by the late Andrew Wood. "

That would be Andrew Wood, of Mother Love Bone as well.
Discolored skin gives me away.
I'm not familiar with any of his work outside of Pearl Jam. I've always like PJ but I'm no PJ whiz either, more just a casual fan. But does this Brad side project have a song called Buttercup?
Most of the time when I want to check out a band I haven't heard too much of or a song I just go look for it on project playlist for quick reference and the only song I found on there by just "Brad" was called Buttercup and I gotta say it's pretty good.

If that is their song I'll be checking out more of them.

EDIT: Just googled it. Didn't take long to see that it is indeed their song lol. I guess I have a new band to get into, thanks. I'm also pretty eager to check out Stone Gossard's solo stuff now.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Last edited by Child Of Maiden at Sep 7, 2007,
great, you made me wanna spend more money

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009