It's not the same old "How can I palm mute and not anchor?" thing, don't worry.

The question is this: how should I be holding my hand to make sure all the lower strings are muted at high gain whilst still leaving my picking hand floating?

I recently made the change to playing un-anchored and now I find that a lot of the time the lower strings ring low after I've finished playing on them; so I'm going up a minor scale at speed and I get to the high E, only to find that the low E is ringing.

Does anyone have any tips or pictures or anything that might help?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I sometimes have this trouble, it is often to do with my left hand making it ring. I usually just play slowly then build up and it goes away. I have no idea how they do it at ridiculously fast speeds however...
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
At high gain, you have to mute the strings. You won't be able to keep your hand
floating. It's ok.

This issue seems to cause lots of confusion. The way I treat it is: not anchoring is
not so much a picking technnique as a development process. It's something
you do while developing your picking technique. Muting is a technique you need
(want) to use in certain situations. You can incorporate both into your practicing,
just not at the same time.
It takes a lot of practice. I went from anchored to unachored. I don't hold my pick the way most people do so I can play unachored and pm fine. But just work at it. Start slow build up speed. First play using one string (low e most likely) then do entire scales pm muted.

*note*
I don't use the side of my hand but the meaty part of the hand at the base of the right side of my hand for palm mutes. That may help you.