hey guys

I have an ibanez rg550

looking for a new tube amp. Dont want anything stupid like half stacks/spiders/mg's etc

looking for a new tube amp that with/without a pedal would allow me to play

Jimi Hendrix - little wing
Metallica - Orion/master puppets/and just for all/nothing else matters/seek and destory
pantera
buckethead mellow and heavier
Joe satriani - Starry night

so basically nice cleans upto some quite heavy gain

i guess with a budget of £500 / $1000
i need a nice clean amp, that with a pedal added i can hit the higher gain stuff

help etc welcomed

cheers
That's a huge range of tones you're asking for, I don't think any thing within your price range will do what you want, but you could buy my amp I'm selling; that should cover the Hendrix, Metallica and some of the Pantera, I'm not sure about buckethead or Satch.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
laney gh50 will sort you right out. Or if you can stretch to a vh100

edit:-i wouldnt buy that guys ashdown if i were you (no offence mate)
Quote by GtrCzarIII
laney gh50 will sort you right out. Or if you can stretch to a vh100

edit:-i wouldnt buy that guys ashdown if i were you (no offence mate)

Why not?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Why not?

because they suck?!? wooly inarticulate and not versatile.low grade amp.
I dont want to nail all their tones as such

Just be able to play along resonably well.

Ive been looking for a while now and cant seem to find the best option

Im considering, Epi Valve junior cab and head, Orange Tiny terror and cab, marshall dsl 401, Laney VC15
Quote by welshkid
I dont want to nail all their tones as such

Just be able to play along resonably well.

Ive been looking for a while now and cant seem to find the best option

Im considering, Epi Valve junior cab and head, Orange Tiny terror and cab, marshall dsl 401, Laney VC15

I thought you said you didn't want a halfstack

You could always get a Fender Blues Junior and get a pedal to give it a kick up the arse into some distortion/overdrive. The Orange Tiny Terror is pretty good in itself actually.
You should try out the new Sound City Amps, I hear Jimi used a Sound City for the clean tone on Little Wing. I have no idea how close to the originals these ones are, but the specs look good.

Edit: There's also the Fender Blues Deluxe and some Laney amps.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Last edited by add45 at Sep 7, 2007,
^ He sure did. He used a Sound City for the clean tones on the Axis, Bold As Love sessions (An L100 to be specific). He was known to have used them live to (and many pics back this up). Later on though, the Sound Cities were used live towards the end of the set when he used to destroy stuff
The L100 actually doesn't clean up as well as the later L120. The Sound City L100 is pretty much a Hiwatt DR103, but with some very subtle differences (mainly cosmetic anyway).
I have yet to try a new Sound City, though I doubt they compare to the originals.

Having said all this, I doubt a Sound City would fit your purposes, I just like talking about them
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
laney GH50L is most likely what you'd want to have a look at. As for the fallen angel I think it's a superb amp (only played briefly) and was really considering buying one until I played an ENGL Thunder (which is also in your price range so maybe check that out) only thing I can fault it for is it has a shared EQ
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD