im just wondering what you people think is the best cable for bass and also if cables like monsters bass cables actually make a noticeable difference, making it worth it to buy new cables. and also cables for effects loop and pedals.
Well I had about $100 of GC credit to blow one day so I got a Monster Cable which was between $50-60 that was specifically designed for bass guitar -> amplifier connection and I honestly think it makes a difference. Plus, you can't beat a lifetime warrenty. I wish I could afford more so all of my cables could be Monster, that's a world I someday hope to live in...
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Mogami Gold Cable, i tried the Monstrer bass cable, and the mogami is better, it comes with a life time, no questions asked, guarantee
i use Monster cables. i'm not sure if the other "high-end" cables are better, but i use to go through cheap cables like every month, now if it crackles once, it gets replaced.
even if they discontinue the type i bought, i get the upgraded cable, no questions. for me, the lifetime warranty(no receipt required) is money in the bank. i haven't spent a dime on cables in 3 years.
what about cables for the effects loop using pedals. if i used that specific cable for bass -> amp, then wouldnt it defeat the purpose if i didnt use the same cable within the effects loop?
patch cables are just as important! any weak connection will add noise. i don't use effects pedals because of the added noise they create, my effects are added at the soundboard. but yur rig is only as strong as it's weakest link. good cables are worth the money.
so then if i went with monster bass cables, could i just use a shorter version of that cable? like say 12 ft. for bass -> amp and then 1.5ft for each effects loop -> pedal and then pedal -> effects loop
exactly. i use Monster speaker cables to connect my amp, to the cab. i think it's a 3ft.
you spend more up front, but it will be the last time money is required for a replacment, even if you rip it out by accident. as long as you don't lose it. lol

Edit: I use a Monster from my bass to the amp, a Monster from my amp to the speaker cab, a Monster from my amp to the tuner(rackmount), and a Monster from my #1 amp to my #2 amp(Fender Bassman 200), and it is absolutely silent when i muffle the strings, even if my bass volumes are maxed.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Sep 6, 2007,
I've been looking for cables which come with a life-time guarantee so this couldn't have come at a better time! Just one (might be a silly question but I won't know if I don't ask) how do you get them replaced? At any store which sells them? Or some other way?
I use Venom and Fender cables and both I think are fantastic. I have one of those Fender ones that has the transparent coloured plastic coating it and have 2 of the standard Fender cables that you get with an MIA. Then I bought this Venom cable about 2 years ago and it has a lifetime guarantee, if it starts to go, I can just go get it replaced for free. It sounds great, I get absolutely no humming, buzzing or crackling at all. Not a bad cable for £13.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I have one of those Fender ones that has the transparent coloured plastic coating.

those things are ****e, mine broke 2 weeks after i got it.

i think i'm gonna get me some of this one day. Also this £130 mains cable i was reading about in a guitar magazine last week.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Tourtek, i'd never bee seen without them
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by DevilMayCare
I've been looking for cables which come with a life-time guarantee so this couldn't have come at a better time! Just one (might be a silly question but I won't know if I don't ask) how do you get them replaced? At any store which sells them? Or some other way?

you simply take it back to the store where you purchased it, and they swap it for a new one. easy!
Every cable I come across comes with life time warranty. Even the cheap no name brand from the local store offers it. I was gonna look into monster cables, but later I realized half of what you pay for goes to their lawyers to protect their name. Either way, 40 dollars is way more than I'm willing to pay for my cables. For me, I'm using bayou cables. All cables are custom made with high grade material at half what you pay for monster cables.

http://www.bayoucables.com/store/catalog/index.php
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you simply take it back to the store where you purchased it, and they swap it for a new one. easy!

So if you were to purchase one new online...how would you go about that? Or is it only possible if you buy it instore? Or can you just take any cable with a lifetime guarantee to any store which sells those cables?
Im a fan of Piranha cables atm.

I've used Venom, Control (SoundControl's own brand) and I dont think you can beat Piranha Classics. Well shielded, durable, loads of protection for the cores, and in glorious colours!

I have a green and blue one, all the new ones come with genuine neutrik connectors too so you are getting quality. And the price is outstanding - £12 for a luminous blue 18ft jack to angled jack.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by DevilMayCare
So if you were to purchase one new online...how would you go about that? Or is it only possible if you buy it instore? Or can you just take any cable with a lifetime guarantee to any store which sells those cables?

online purchases require freight costs, that you must pay. as far their return policy, you should ask them. i purchase my cables at Guitar Center, they keep a database of their customers, so i can go to any GC, and swap cables. my favorite little music shop is where i make major purchases, but they require a receipt, for exchanges. so i buy my cables and strings, at GC. living in a major music market helps. there are three GC's with-in 30 minutes drive of my house.
Quote by myearshurt
i don't reckon there's a difference, besides from the quality.

i reckon it helps to read the thread, before posting. besides the quality...doh!
I just got some Monster Prolink Standard 100s, but they seem to lose some of the bottom end...but who knows, that might just be other things going on too. But they were rather quiet...just hope they last. My AXL cables were awesome, and came with a lifetime warranty, which I have to go enforce on Wednesday, haha.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Planet Waves cable for me comes with a lifetime garuntee and I have the right angle version which supossedly will make it last even longer than me.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
online purchases require freight costs, that you must pay. as far their return policy, you should ask them. i purchase my cables at Guitar Center, they keep a database of their customers, so i can go to any GC, and swap cables. my favorite little music shop is where i make major purchases, but they require a receipt, for exchanges. so i buy my cables and strings, at GC. living in a major music market helps. there are three GC's with-in 30 minutes drive of my house.

Thank you very much! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it. I'll have to go wandering around Stoke-on-Trent when I get up there and see what I can find!
Quote by mhylands
I just got some Monster Prolink Standard 100s, but they seem to lose some of the bottom end

haha no wonder they make bass cables then
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."