When playing fast solos with whole step bends etc. how do you go about not letting the other strings ring from being hit? If I were to palm mute it would limit the freeness of my hand and would lock it on the bridge causing it to be more uncomfortable to play.
mute the other strings with your picking hand.
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Practise. Lots of it, make sure that when you pull your fingers off the fret board that you're not making a pull-off, make sure it's a clean, noiseless cut
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Like when I bend fast it hits the other strings above and causes them to ring. I am not doing any unwanted pull offs when I take my fingers off the strings.
you mean, for example you're bending the 2nd string, the 1st string rings?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
like i said, mute the other strings with your picking hand. the other strings i'm talking about are the ones that are unwantedly ringing out when you bend up.
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

Quote by nick11link
mute the other strings with your picking hand.

That would lock my hand on the strings and limit the freeness of my picking. And the strings I have muted with my palm I need to play the split second I play an unmuted string
just out of curiousity, then, is this a general problem or is there a specific song you're trying to play here.
Stromberg Montreux
Death By Audio Fuzz War

While i bend a string, i use my index, middle finger and ring finger to bend.

Example:

If i need to bend on the 12th fret on the B string, i put my ring finger in fret 12, middle in 11 and index in 10, then i bend with all three, and making sure my fingers are a little flat so the block the strings under
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Ok say your pulling off a 15b13p11 (pre-bend) on the 2nd string (B string). You will have your index finger on the 11th fret, make sure the index finger is barely touching the G string, and pull straight off avoiding the High E string completely.

Hope that makes sense

EDIT: And do what the guy above you says bending with three fingers, You'll get a stronger sounding bend.
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Last edited by jd44 at Sep 6, 2007,
This is a general problem. If I would bend the B strings up at fast tempos then that would cause the g and d strings to ring from being touched. I am trying to play the sweet child o mine solo and I do have a lot of experience at bending etc. it is just this problem I cannot fix. I see slash play this in concerts and his hand is so freely moving and I have no idea how he does not create unwanted noise from all of his fast bending. Trust me he is not palm muting either cuz I see his hand is not even hardly on the bridge or strings
Quote by jd44
Ok say your pulling off a 15b13p11 (pre-bend) on the 2nd string (B string). You will have your index finger on the 11th fret, make sure the index finger is barely touching the G string, and pull straight off avoiding the High E string completely.

Hope that makes sense

yes but the d string occasionally rings from whole step bends
Quote by Unreal T
yes but the d string occasionally rings from whole step bends

Hmmm Doesn't for me when I do it, Try backing off the string on the bend slowly or something... Just play around with different techniques and see what will work for you. (I don't really know what I do so it doesn't do that sorry mate)
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
ok here, when you bend an accurate whole step doesnt the lower strings get pushed up as well? Well when they come back DOWN they ring because of the small vibration they have from coming back down. its just like if you touch a string with your finger lightly it makes a small noise
Alright well i just played aroun, and i think i figured out your problem. While you bend, you probably use too close to the tip of your finger, try pulling your fingers back a little, relaxing them, and bending with about the center of your fingerpad
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Blue Zombie..bend the b string at the 8 th fret up a whole step. Now arent the g and d strings getting pushed up as well? Ok now if you let it back down those strings vibrate ...just from being PUSHED UP and being let down WITHOUT my fingertips touching them.

By the way I am using a metal zone pedal with distortion turned up at 1 o clock to boost my sustain and overall tone. Can it be because of too much distortion?
that's probably making your unwanted noise louder and more noticeable. But if your bending up far enough to move other strings, position your fingers differently so that you don't actually push the other strings down, but.... push em out of the way with the tips of your fingers so that they don't fret..... if that makes sense. and if your bending... like towards the high e side of the neck, lay your fingers sorta flat so that they mute the strings below.
Quote by Unreal T
Blue Zombie..bend the b string at the 8 th fret up a whole step. Now arent the g and d strings getting pushed up as well? Ok now if you let it back down those strings vibrate ...just from being PUSHED UP and being let down WITHOUT my fingertips touching them.

By the way I am using a metal zone pedal with distortion turned up at 1 o clock to boost my sustain and overall tone. Can it be because of too much distortion?

That's a possibility, i know that with my DOD Death metal i can hear every little imperfection in my playing. Try turning the gain down a notch and see what happens.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass