Page 1 of 2
I have an uncle (well, more like a second cousin or some such crap, but he's practically my uncle) who lives in Florida.
Now, I'm more than sure he'd sponsor me for an American citizenship should I want to do that after college, and I just wanted to know some stuff about life there.

So, what can y'all tell me about:
The music scene
Crime
Housing prices
Jobs
University (don't you yanks call this college?)
Stuff to do around the town
Bars
Jack Daniel's availability

Cheers fellers
Well I live in a small town, but it's close to Jacksonville.

Nothing to do here, Jacksonville however has a nice variety.

Oh and Jack Daniels is easy to get.
All I remember is this: it's hot as f*ck. Stay away!

Seriously, it's so hot and humid. Ugh.
I've been there, pretty nice.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Its really hot, especially inland. Orlando has ALOT of stuff to do, but its rather expensive as well. Lots of jobs, especially in Summer and Christmas season. Disney's hiring. I'd love to live down there, but im over on the west coast. Also, Florida State and USF are great colleges, not in Orlando tho. We produced Trivium and UnderOath i believe. Music is great down here, but there rly arent alot of metalheads as opposed to Skaters and pop fans. i luv Orlando, and Florida in general, except for the temperature in mid-summer.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Sep 6, 2007,
there's a small metal scene in the gainesville area, and a HUGE punk/ska in the volusia county area. there's stetson university in my town, UCF, FSU, and Univesity of Florida as far as colleges go. im only 14, so i dont know about the other stuff. but everybody drinks down here, so jack daniels wont be that hard to come by.

but remember, i dont live near the beach, which is where all of you guys probably went. i live right next to a hick town, so there's a lot of rednecks.
**RIP In the Van on the Comeback Road**

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
The music scene - mostly hiphop from what ive seen
Crime - dont go to miami
Housing prices - from cheap to really expensive
Jobs - youll get work
University (don't you yanks call this college?) - there is a difference between a college and a university (also im not sure about colleges in florida)
Stuff to do around the town - youll find something to do in florida (DISNEYLAND ANYONE)
Bars - open
Jack Daniel's availability - need not worry
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by Retro Rocker
I have an uncle (well, more like a second cousin or some such crap, but he's practically my uncle) who lives in Florida.
Now, I'm more than sure he'd sponsor me for an American citizenship should I want to do that after college, and I just wanted to know some stuff about life there.

The music scene
Crime
Housing prices
Jobs
Bars

Cheers fellers

well i live in GA ive been down there a lot and it kinda varies... but all the places ive been too theyre are a lot of old people, but if you go to the bigger places like miami, panama city, orlando its like party time haah
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Orlando is the **** man.Theme Parks everywhere.If you run out of things to do in Orlando,then that means your dead.
Ok.
I'm from Canada, but from what I've heard...
The music scene - Gainsville is massive, all of florida is a big punk/ska/metalcore place.
Crime Miami and Tampe = massive crime
Housing prices - Expenisve, and largely retired frnech men from quebec.
Jobs - Must have alot.
University - from tv, I've heard some of the best are in florida.
Stuff to do around the town - It's florida man!
Bars - Must have alot
Jack Daniel's availability in North america, this stuff flows like water
oh yeah orlando is the **** lol
universal studios, sea world, disney world, not even like 30 minutes apart from eachother
Quote by Retro Rocker

The music scene
Crime
Housing prices
Jobs
Bars

Cheers fellers

Music Scene: I hope you like Hardcore.
Crime: Not too bad where I live (East Coast) Parts of Orlando are kinda bad, stay away from shady areas.
Housing: Very expensive on the beach but I don't think it is too bad inner city.
Jobs: don't know alot about that.
College: FSU, Florida State, FIT. Others out there I am sure. Pretty good colleges.
Around town: Orlando is a good place to hang around.
Bars: Orlando has no shortage of those
Jack Daniels: I am pretty sure that those are in good supply. My friend's dad uses it all the time in cooking.

Also, Go to the beach. Ladies are in good supply.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
I live in Florida and I love it. But the housing is hella expensive, lots of crime, and music scene is decent at best.

But you got some good colleges (FSU, UM, UF) tons of bars around the college towns, lots of places to hang out, and theres a liquor store around ever corner. Hope i helped.

I live in Fort Lauderdale btw.
Quote by utsapp89
CRUSHING
SLAMMING
BROCOLI!
Face it, t3h MG mini-stack pwns your face.
Quote by Retro Rocker

The music scene
Crime
Housing prices
Jobs
Bars

Cheers fellers

Okay listen, your 2nd uncle cannot sponsor you, nobody can sponsor you for a citizenship, they can sponsor you for a green card. only your immediate relatives can sponsor you. That means your parents, brother, and spouse. And California kicks Florida's ass, we don't get hurricanes and all that carribbean crap.
Last edited by .smudged. at Sep 6, 2007,
The only thing I don't like about FL. is the heat and humidity in the summer.
Land of the Mouse (Orlando) can be pricey.
Lots of great music.
And Jack is available anywhere in the U.S. (Ya even dry counties in TN and NC)
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
We used to have a villa there. It's good in small doses but things really get on your nerves like bugs, lizards etc. The weather is great but be prepared for a lot of thunder storms and I mean A LOT.

I can't tell you much about the culture and music scene as such as all I have really seen is the tourist attractions but Orlando does get its fair share of big bands performing there (I saw the Kings of Leon over there). Also if you plan on going to Miami be prepared nearly EVERYONE is hispanic.

From what I have seen there are a great deal of small houses in Orlando which suggests that well paid jobs aren't easy to come by and this is definately something you should check out before you go.

Ufortunately for you the legal drinking age is 21 so I doubt you will have much success in getting into bars but hey worth a shot!

Other than that not much more I can tell you but good luck and I hope it works out. Oh and a word of advice I don't think they appreciate being called Yanks.
disney sucks, go to busch gardens or universal.

Quote by confusius
You're going to have to go to the doctor. He is going to ram his finger up your ass and the rest you can imagine. It will be severly painful you are most likely to die in the process. Enjoy.
Quote by aleckillscobra
disney sucks, go to busch gardens or universal.

true... but disney is a place thats good for those family vacations once or twice but afterwards meh.. busch gardens... SHEIKRA FTW!!! universal studios is EPIC
I wouldn't really know...I'm only 14 the most I know is a bit of good death metal has come from here and we got a 1400 or so sq foot house for $164,000
Florida has everything, except snow, mountains, and great plains(who gives a shit about them anyways?) So yea go there unless you hate hot weather.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Florida has everything, except snow, mountains, and great plains(who gives a shit about them anyways?) So yea go there unless you hate hot weather.

seriously, we reached record highs during christmas. and i live inland.

Quote by confusius
Quote by Retro Rocker

The music scene
Crime
Housing prices
Jobs
Bars

Cheers fellers

The music scene is really good in Florida. There are all sorts of genres and underground bands there. Crime is a big problem however. The murder rates aren't very friendly.

Housing prices are outrageous. You'd have better luck getting a cheap apartment or townhouse. The hurricanes devalue the property.

Jobs are not widely available. Most tourists don't want to be there, so that means less jobs for Florida's most popular industry.

There are a ton of really good colleges in the state. Some include Bethune-Cookman, University of Florida, FSU, Miami, FAU, DBCC, and Embry Riddle. There's stuff to do everywhere, bars are plentyful.
Get off my lawn.
whatever you do dont come to live in Naples! its full of old people and wiggers. and it is a very rich town. you wont find a house under a million dollars, even trailers in parks are about half a million. and in season (when all the old people come, because it is a rich old person town) the prices go up for everything. i hate naples. the only good thing is the beach and the skateparks. oh and florida is cool because i have 2 year passes to universal, busch gardens, seaworld and like everything except disney.
EDIT: i forgot to tell you about the mexicans and cubans. EWW! they all speak spanish and sh!t, and they are all poor and short and fat and they take our jobs. i would kill all of them if i could.
Thanks for that

I'm split between 4 choices, once I've done college.
Stay here in England, go to Canada to live with my grandparents for a while before trying my luck in Vancouver, go to Australia with my dad, or try and make it in America. It's frustrating.
Threadstarter, it's really not worth moving there. As much as I love the state (and I love it to death), the place is going downhill fast. Fewer people every year are living there, and it's being overrun by old people more than it usually was.

Places are getting shutdown cause people are getting tired of paying high taxes for corruption. Move somewhere else dude.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by Retro Rocker
Thanks for that

I'm split between 4 choices, once I've done college.
Stay here in England, go to Canada to live with my grandparents for a while before trying my luck in Vancouver, go to Australia with my dad, or try and make it in America. It's frustrating.

definately come to america!
I'm more tempted to go to Aussie. Partly 'cos my dad rocks, but mainly because the culture, people and the land itself all seem awesome. I'm already going over for a year after college anyway, with a 12 month working VISA, but if I wanna stay I'l have to prove my worth to get a permenant one.
The music scene - Not good for metal. Not so good for really anything other than sxe hardcore, which I totally despise.
Crime - Probably not as bad as the more southern parts of England. Probably about the same as where you are.
Housing prices - Real estate is doing horrible here. You can probably get a house that someone wants to just get rid of for way cheap. In fact, my family is selling our current house lol. I doubt we'll sell though.
Jobs - In my area, they simply don't exist. Make sure you're in/near a "major" city.
University (don't you yanks call this college?) - Yes we do, and we have good ones in FL.
Stuff to do around the town - In my area, we like to walk around Wal-Mart. Thats the kind of stuff we have to do here.
Bars - In my area nothing but biker bars. I'm close to Ybor city though, but thats mainly just a crappy club scene.
Jack Daniel's availability - Just as available as anywhere else.

BTW I live in the Tampa Bay area. About 45 minutes North of the Bay, to be more exact.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention the weather. You won't be able to take it. Its the worst weather on Earth. Its been in the eighties this past week. This place doesn't have seasons. Theres 7 months that are hell-on-earth-hot, with rain everyday that makes the humidity simply oppressing. Then theres 5 months where its less humid and every once in awhile it gets towards 50 F - and MAYBE you'll see about 4 or 5 days that get closer to the thirties. Maybe.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Jan 1, 2008,
Floridians, I also have a question: How does it feel to have your team be losing to Michigan in the Capital One Bowl?
<Han> I love Hitler
The music scene: No good metal scene around here anymore, very very small, it was really good in the early 1990's though.I ****ing hate all the ****ty scene-core/metalcore/gay-core crap coming out of here, but then again there's good and bad metalcore and most of it its bad, there seems to be an uprising of blues/jazz here though, especially in St. Pete.

Crime: Meh, its not huge, but its not small either.

Housing prices: Dont come to Tampa, I'm not sure about anywhere else in FL, but honestly to get a decent house here, you have to pay over 150-200K in a slightly decent area.

Jobs: You can find em, there's no reason why you shouldnt be able to find one.

University: IADT (very expensive), USF, UF, UT, OM, bunch of em.

Stuff to do around the town: There's nightlife, there's clubs, There's GameWorks (big ol' arcade) etc,.

Bars: There's a couple round here.

Jack Daniel's availability: Everywhere

I live in Tampa btw.
Last edited by Eric 666 at Jan 1, 2008,
Quote by HaKattack
Floridians, I also have a question: How does it feel to have your team be losing to Michigan in the Capital One Bowl?

This is another no-no. Never ever ever ever ever ever insult a Florida football team in Florida, because you will be killed.

Quote by Martyr's Prayer
The music scene - Not good for metal. Not so good for really anything other than sxe hardcore, which I totally despise.
Crime - Probably not as bad as the more southern parts of England. Probably about the same as where you are.
Housing prices - Real estate is doing horrible here. You can probably get a house that someone wants to just get rid of for way cheap. In fact, my family is selling our current house lol. I doubt we'll sell though.
Jobs - In my area, they simply don't exist. Make sure you're in/near a "major" city.
University (don't you yanks call this college?) - Yes we do, and we have good ones in FL.
Stuff to do around the town - In my area, we like to walk around Wal-Mart. Thats the kind of stuff we have to do here.
Bars - In my area nothing but biker bars. I'm close to Ybor city though, but thats mainly just a crappy club scene.
Jack Daniel's availability - Just as available as anywhere else.

BTW I live in the Tampa Bay area. About 45 minutes North of the Bay, to be more exact.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention the weather. You won't be able to take it. Its the worst weather on Earth. Its been in the eighties this past week. This place doesn't have seasons. Theres 7 months that are hell-on-earth-hot, with rain everyday that makes the humidity simply oppressing. Then theres 5 months where its less humid and every once in awhile it gets towards 50 F - and MAYBE you'll see about 4 or 5 days that get closer to the thirties. Maybe.

Other coast is a little better. Try Flagler or Jacksonville.
Get off my lawn.
ahhhh florida. i shall eventually return to ye. i was never meant to live here. i WILL be back.

atlantic beach
#DTWD
Quote by HawkaLuigi
This is another no-no. Never ever ever ever ever ever insult a Florida football team in Florida, because you will be killed.

I'm glad I'm safely nestled in the tropical, 20-degree fahrenheit weather of Michigan, then.
<Han> I love Hitler
in miami a 3 room house out of the ghettos are about 350k. And a 4 room is 450- 600 k. They are similar looking and not really that big. Gas prices are about 3.50 where i live. Great underground scene. Hot latin girls everywhere. you will have to know how to dance and you are fine
underoath/the almost came form gainsville, the red jumpsuit apparatus came from a town near jacksonville, theres cubans in miami, i live near pensacola so i usually go there for fun with friends, theres 3 or 4 major universities, housing is ridiculous
Quote by mista cricket
Passive pickups? Are there such a thing as aggressive pickup s?

I use a Dvorak keyboard; put this in your sig if you do too.
Last edited by zeroprezens at Jan 6, 2008,
Page 1 of 2