No, it's just that they're not as good as the pre-CBS Fenders. Well, apparently the three-bolt Strats were utterly terrible, but other than that I think they tend to be decent.
They're good, but they aren't as good as the Pre-CBS Fenders. Their quality went down a lot, which made players switch out of Fender and into other guitars and amps (Gibson, Marshall, etc.), thus resulting into canceling production on almost all models of guitars and amps. The Jaguar and Jazzmaster were discontinued as well as the Tremolux and Bandmaster.

I think the Fenders today are better than the CBS Fenders, though.
Sent from my iPad.
Yup CBS models suck major balls.

any thing befor and after though are great and in many cases ( puts up flame barrier ) modern fenders are better than old fenders, the only difference being better wood in the older models because the wood has aged wich can actually be simulated by getting rid of hte mositure via setting the thing on fire....
I love 3 bolt Fenders with the oversized headstock

What are the differences in guitars? I've heard that the bridge was just one piece instead of 2 pieces being bolted together. That meant it was lighter and the tuning was not as stable. I really can't remember where I read that though..
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
All the CBS Fender products made in the sixties are great, but the quality of the guitars and some of the amps went down after that.

Remember, almost all blackface amps were made during the CBS period, and these are hardly mediocre.
my dad owns (and i play) a 72 stratocaster

nicest strat i played...

now i havent played any early 60s strats...but if you can get a 70s strat..go for it!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^and what tells you that?

vox did make guitars...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^and what tells you that?

vox did make guitars...

We're in the GG&A forum; and although Vox did make guitars, I don't very many UGers have played one.
lotsa noobs post about geetars in here

well, lets see what the threadstarter says...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by add45
I love 3 bolt Fenders with the oversized headstock

What are the differences in guitars? I've heard that the bridge was just one piece instead of 2 pieces being bolted together. That meant it was lighter and the tuning was not as stable. I really can't remember where I read that though..

3-bolt guitars don't have as great sustain as a 4-bolt.
Sent from my iPad.
they also signed Dylan by the way...so theyre not that bad

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^and they signed dylan

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^ Yeah, but they also signed....*checks vinyl collection for CBS records*...

...Springsteen (that's all I found).
they bought them in the mid 60s

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by paintITblack39
3-bolt guitars don't have as great sustain as a 4-bolt.

Fair enough, I guess if sustain isn't your biggest worry though, then it's ok.

Aaand, Simon & Garfunkel were signed by Columbia too
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by hendriko
they bought them in the mid 60s

1965, to be precise. They didn't change anything during the first year, so the 'CBS era' didn't actually start until 1966.
Quote by hendriko
lotsa noobs post about geetars in here

well, lets see what the threadstarter says...

I'm talking about amps

capiche?
Well, in that case: the amps aren't really referred to as 'pre-CBS' or not. They are divided up into silverface (late 60's and 70's) and blackface (mid 60's); and blonde, tweed and brownface, but they were made earlier.

Blackface amps are generally regarded as better than silverface, although some of the models are nearly identical. Reliability is pretty similar, I'd say.

I own a silverface and a blonde (made months before the blackface period), and I can't really say that one sounds 'better' than the other, although the blonde does have slightly better build quality.
Quote by mr_hankey
^ They signed loads of great artists.

including ray charles. woot.

mm i love ray charles.

but to TS, try it out, whatever it is. if you like it, great, if not, fine.
Quote by mr_hankey
Well, in that case: the amps aren't really referred to as 'pre-CBS' or not. They are divided up into silverface (late 60's and 70's) and blackface (mid 60's); and blonde, tweed and brownface, but they were made earlier.

Blackface amps are generally regarded as better than silverface, although some of the models are nearly identical. Reliability is pretty similar, I'd say.

I own a silverface and a blonde (made months before the blackface period), and I can't really say that one sounds 'better' than the other, although the blonde does have slightly better build quality.

thank you that was very helpful
Quote by .smudged.
I'm talking about amps

capiche?

well im ****in talking about geetars. ya know, it would help to specify in the FIRST post about what you want precisely. that or not being a bitch about it are your options here

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame