So, I was gonna restring my acoustic today but I forgot where I had left my extra set of strings. I searched all around my room and found them all except for the high e string.

Does it matter if I restring them and leave the high e string or should I go out and buy the string? In other words, will I notice significant sound difference between the new strings and the one old string?
well, it depends how long you have had them, and how much you've used that paticular string, and hot hard you hit it and what playing style you play

also depending on its guage it can last quite a while, usually 1 string in a set breaks and you just replace all 6 to 7 to 8 depending on your guitar

but for accoustic im sure you'll be allright, you'll mostly notice it's not as shiny and doesn't feel as nice but it would sound good enough
if it was the Low E string that you were missing, then there might be some fretbuzz, but i dont think the high e puts enough tension on the neck to mess it up very much, if at all.
Thanks a lot guys.
One more thing though.... I haven't changed my strings in over like 3-4 years. Will this make any difference?
I don't think it would matter much. But just go buy an extra pair of strings and check to see if your local store just sells single strings
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
Maybe get a refreshing tetnis shot after...
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
well strings lose strength over time naturally, tiny degree but when you play with them that wears them eventually at a faster rate, it all depends how many hours you put on it
most people tell you that you should replace strings every 100 hours of playing, but they still sound good then, but technically they arn't as good but not really noticeable

strings arn't expensive anyways

I replace mine every 3 months, but I play like what 12 hours a day lol
Money definitely isn't an issue, the issue is that the nearest guitar shop is 45 minutes away from where I live =/
Quote by Snowing
Money definitely isn't an issue, the issue is that the nearest guitar shop is 45 minutes away from where I live =/

use the Internet Tax Vrs Shipping hmmm evens out
Quote by hardcoredarrell
use the Internet Tax Vrs Shipping hmmm evens out

I don't have a credit card =/
ahh, well, theres always Debit, but you most likely do not have that, 45 minutes isn't all that far, I drive about 2 hours to work but odds are you don't have a vehicle, you could allways get your parents to buy it for you with their credit card and you pay them back with CASH
I have a car, but no debit or credit card (getting a debit in like a month, though). I'm just way too lazy to drive 45 minutes away for 1 string...
Quote by Snowing
I have a car, but no debit or credit card (getting a debit in like a month, though). I'm just way too lazy to drive 45 minutes away for 1 string...

well, wouldnt it make since to get 1 string, then get 2 different sets of 6 strings for your guitar ?? it does to me
Quote by hardcoredarrell
well, wouldnt it make since to get 1 string, then get 2 different sets of 6 strings for your guitar ?? it does to me

I could do that...
Then again I've been thinking about getting a new amp anyway, might as well get it all in one trip.
Quote by Snowing
I could do that...
Then again I've been thinking about getting a new amp anyway, might as well get it all in one trip.

Sure Nuff you'll save Gas money too

good luck