Hi everyone, I just got an acoustic guitar and I'm as new as can be and as bad as can be. I'm looking for some advice on a few things:

How do you suggest I go about learning guitar - I am attempting to teach myself.

How did you guys practice fretting chords precisely, i.e. with each finger going down and hitting the correct string at the same time?

Do you think i should look into real lessons?

And finally just any tidbit you might have to help, encouragement, a helpful book, ANYTHING!!

Thanks for any response, it's definitely appreciated.
Well Larry welcome to the world of Guitar. It's fustrating, amusing, and it feels good too.
There are a couple thing you can do to start you on your way to becoming a musician.
YOu must ask yourself:
1. Should I learn tabs, music notes, or both?ans: both, but tabs will do for now.
2. Online there are several site that offer "free" lessons, but these are very basic and only certain options are available.
3. Software ie; eMedia for beginners is pretty decent (you should be able to score a copy for about $10.00 or limeware it. With emedia you can learn both notes and tab. Try the demo.
4.start out with easy chord songs: "LaBamba", "House of the rising Sun"
5. YOu could get lessons if you are rich or have a rich uncle. Some lessons go for $300 - $450.
NOTE: Guitar playing can be fun if you make it tha way and it could suck if you get too frustrated. Be patienct with yourself, take your time, and in time you shold start to notice that you are getting better. When you hit a plateau, put your axe down for a few. Play a video game and come back to it.

Have Fun...if not it's going to start sucking really quick.
Yeah like he just said...If you're not enjoying yourself...you know...You wont be playing for long. So enjoy yourself. Lessons are good, I shouldn't be talking seeing as I ditched them after 8 months of lessons and now teach myself. I'm not a pro at guitar either...these dude are all...better...you know...but simple enough start off small, then go on to more complicated stuff :O you know, basics of everything
in my honest opinion, if your anything like me. lessons are the best way you can go about learning. theres no easier way than paying for someone you know knows what there doing. i've been playing for 'bout 1 1/2 to 2 years and in my first month of lessons, i've had more progress than i would with like 5 months by myself. but that's just if your like me. and by the way, i'm kinda lazy...sooo...ya
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
aha ya you guys make some good points...trust me I'm prepared for frustration and I don't care, because I've wanted to play guitar for a while now and I'm ready to finally take the plunge and apply myself. Just thinking of playing down the road skillfully drives me to practice even more...by the way thanks again for the comments especially so quickly after I started this thread
im self taught for a year and i've learned a lot by myself. eventually i do wanna have a teacher teach me theory and all that crap that u cant really learn by urself. i would like to have a teacher though to give me exercises and music to practice it's annoying having to find stuff to do everyday
Yeah, I started playing about 3 years ago, by myself, and I taught myself alot, but the downside to teaching yourself is that sometimes you miss out on the important things at the start (how to hold the pick properly etc.) and this can make things hard for you when you get into it more, IF lessons are out of the option, get a friend or reletive to help you out with the basics (picks, strings, tab, basic songs) then start doing more on your own, it'll be hard, frustrating and tonnes of other stuff, but in the long run, when your shredding a solo, you'll look back and laugh, smile...or cry

Good luck with it Larry

Led Zepper
Last edited by Led Zepper at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
im self taught for a year and i've learned a lot by myself. eventually i do wanna have a teacher teach me theory and all that crap that u cant really learn by urself. i would like to have a teacher though to give me exercises and music to practice it's annoying having to find stuff to do everyday

Actually it's not hard to learn music theory if you look around on the interweb or here on UG for it. I've been playing for about 5 years without ever taking a lesson and I learned a lot from here and other interweb locations.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.