what are some songs to learn fingerpicking on? i can already play most of slow cheetah and most of Road Trippin by RHCP what other songs would you reccomend? (i tried scar tissue but i have a problem gettin the rhythem down its a little strange and awkward for me for some reason not sure why)
ED REED BABY
blackbird - paul mccartney
more then sorry - ben harper

edit: more THAN sorry
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Capriche Arabe (tricky), Spanish Romance (generic, though), Classical Gas, Asturias (probably a lil too hard at the moment), Classical Soul (definitely too hard at the moment), Rondo Alla Turka (hard but doable...at a slow pace), Under the Bridge intro (maybe it's hybrid picking; I just fingerpick it), Moonlight Sonata (good piece to work on), Canon in D, Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, Tchaikovsky's Barcarolle, Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy (the arpeggio parts are hard), Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers, and Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker March (is that what it's called? Forgot...).

Ignore the hard ones for now...
Dust in the Wind, End of an Anchor by Dashboard Confessional (my favorite fingerpicked song to date).
Tears in Heaven as well.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
what are some songs to learn fingerpicking on?

Almost any song. I play mostly classic rock and blues, and have been playing since I was a kid, starting in 1960 at age 5, and have always tried to play all sorts of songs without a pick, just to see if I could. You may laugh, but...

Smoke on the Water finger picked and/or with a slide bar...even on an acoustic and in open G
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Madman Across the Water finger picked on acoustic
Several Chuck Berry tunes, Johhny B Goode, Maybelline, Little Queenie

More likely bets, or finger picked to begin with -
Penny For Your Thoughts - Peter Frampton (open G tuning)
Blackbird - Beatles already mentioned, but is also in open G
Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi is partially finger picked acoustic
Angel Eyes - Jeff Healley I don't think is originally finger picked, but works nicely
House of the Rising Sun (I'm sick of that one, but it's good for finger picking)
Every Rose Has Its Thorn (Can't stand the song but try making it sound good finger picked...)
Sweet Melissa - Allman Brothers
Hotel California - Eagles Several other Eagles tunes
Taxi or Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
Moonshadow, Wild World - Cat Stevens

Anything Dire Straits does, Knopfler finger picks everything. Sultans of Swing is one of the toughest leads around
Jeff Beck has started finger picking everything
I'm finger picking 3/4 of the time these days
Many professionals use partial finger picking along with a pick, Eric Johnson is great at it.

One of the best ways I know of to become a better guitar player is trying to do things people would say aren't done. Smoke on the Water is not finger picked or a slide song...I've tinkered with it on acoustic, open G and slide bar. It actually works. Madman Across the Water is primarily keyboards, but it works on one acoustic.

Also to improve in general, not just finger picking, try playing in complete darkness, so you can't see the guitar and have to KNOW where your fingers are. That's how I learned Penny For Your Thoughts, Blackbird, Sweet Melissa and several other songs in both standard and open G tuning. Once you can play a few songs in total darkness, your playing will be much more accurate and will start to sound a lot smoother. And onstage you don't have to look at the guitar neck all the time. Half the time you can't see it anyway...

And never pass up a chance to jam with a better player. It makes you work for it and you'll always learn something.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Sep 7, 2007,