So I was browsing a local Pawn Shop when I ran into a vintage Jackson Randy Rhoads EX Professional for about $160. The hardware's a little rusted, the pickups a little weak, big scratch on the front, and the neck is cracked. Is this guitar worth it with all of its cosmetic problems? Would it be worth replacing the hardware, pickups, and neck? Or just let someone else pick it up? Probably a stupid question, but whatever. It's always good to ask.
dang i'd buy it lol, pickups are maybe 200 bucks if that, and i'm not sure about cosmetics/a crack but that should definatly sell pretty high if you fix it up.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
I love rhoads guitars, so i'm gonna have to say take 'er and fix it up.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
i'd say if you've got the money and will still be able to eat for the next few weeks, why not?
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
yeah man, point out everything thats wrong, you will be able to talk him down ALOT. i got a peavey with a boughed neck and a dirty trem system with a scratchy pot for 40 bucks, it was posted for 200
i'd buy it, but i wouldnt really call it a vintage and as far as i can remember the EX series were only average when they came out (about on par with the X series rhoads?) of course thats just a bit of an estimation.
Quote by Diamond Dave
i'd buy it, but i wouldnt really call it a vintage and as far as i can remember the EX series were only average when they came out (about on par with the X series rhoads?) of course thats just a bit of an estimation.

Ooooh...Really? Wow. I guess older Jacksons really were better than the new ones because even with the crack in the neck, it still plays wonderfully, it's just the pickups are REALLY weak.

About replacing the neck...The neck is 22 frets, so would I be allowed to swap out the neck with a 24 fret neck?
Quote by Vittu0666
Ooooh...Really? Wow. I guess older Jacksons really were better than the new ones because even with the crack in the neck, it still plays wonderfully, it's just the pickups are REALLY weak.

About replacing the neck...The neck is 22 frets, so would I be allowed to swap out the neck with a 24 fret neck?

yeah well when i say average i mean in the grand scheme of things, ive got an X series dinky from 2005 and i reckon it plays great even though its still nothing compared to a USA select series guitar.

i think you can put a 24 fret neck on but the fretboard overhang will be greater and you probably wont be able to fit a neck pickup, or you may only be able to fit a single coil
I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input and I really appreciated it. So guess what happened today? I was wandering around in a local music store and they also had a Jackson Randy Rhoads V EX Professional. This one was in MUCH better condition and sounded a lot heavier. The price tag was $500, but I talked them down to $400. So now I'm a proud owner of a Jackson Rhoads V Professional. I'll pix up soon!