Page 1 of 2
well it was about a month ago i decided to format my hard drive, there was alot of junk on it and it took a rather long time to start up. so anyway i formatted it and it didnt take 10 minutes to boot up, but on the negative side EVERYTHING ELSE GOES SLOW AS SH*T!

that simply doesent make sense, it takes longer to do anything now than it did before i cleaned the hard drive, common sense would say that if your hard drive isnt full of programs/spyware ect. that it should be able to process information faster, yes? well apparently wrong, with very little stuff on this computer it has trouble doing anything, infact i spent probably 5 minutes getting from the UG homepage to the thread creating ineterface. Internet explorer frequently crashes, programs will take a very long time to start, hell even mousing over an icon it has takes up to 20 seconds to show that "highlited look to it" if you know what im talking about...

so is there a logical explanation to this or should i beat this thing in with a baseball bat?
my guess is a virus or trojan that you didnt get on the reformat. How much ram does your computer have, that has a lot to do with how quickly it opens up programs, functions, along with other things.. it would help if you posted some specs
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
theres 768 MB of ram, that wouldnt be the problem, otherwise it would have been lagging before too, same with a trojan, it wouldof been lagging my computer before the formatting
did you download the service packs?
Not the way I play guitar hero. I 5 stared free bird on the first try! Ima be a rock star..... as soon as my parents buy me a guitar.
your hard drive doesn't affect the speed of anything you described. I imagine you just have an application (s) that are using up your RAM. Do ctrl+alt+del and filter processes by Memory Usage and see what processes are using the most RAM, eliminate them if you can
Quote by Pernicano22
also try to defragment

it was reformatted, it wouldnt get fragmented that fast. plus ive done that anyway lol
yeah, thats pleanty of ram for just using the internet and whatnot , but i've never heard of that kindof problem occuring because you cleaned up your hard drive. If you use torrents, p2p file transfer like limewire, or look at a lot of dirty websites, you can obviously be putting yourself at a high risk for sluggish computing, but i'm kindof stumped
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
well acording to the ctrl alt delete menu thingy, limewire takes up 99% of my cpu usage, but none of this happened beforei formatted it, i dont think mr. gates could solve this one
uninstall and reinstall limewire, or just remove it completely

Edit: not sure if you'll lose all yer music
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Wylde14
well acording to the ctrl alt delete menu thingy, limewire takes up 99% of my cpu usage, but none of this happened beforei formatted it, i dont think mr. gates could solve this one

It's not Mr. Gates' problem. Uninstall Limewire and then do a reinstall, see if that fixes your problem.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i wasnt blaming him, im saying this is a dilly of a pickle; and its slow without limewire open aswell, so thats not an awnser, and i wont lose all my music, its not directly attached to limewire
limewire still runs in the background of your computer even after you close it, you have to go to the bottom right of your computer to the left of the clock and right click on the limewire symbol and close it there. or uninstall and reinstall which would probably solve the problem
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
reformat again. but this dont bother installing limewire. seriousley. dont. i said dont.

Limewire probaly contracted some malware when you downloaded it.
If you really want limewire that badly just get Frostwire. my friend said it's made by limewire but it doesn't have any spyware or other crap like that. or just give both of those up and use torrents to download music and whatever else you need.
or you could get bittorrent and all ur download needs would be filled minus the trojans/spyware/and virus's you get from limewire. but the choice is yours. if all else fails i say u go with your Plan B....

a baseball bat
I LIKE Josh Klinghoffer

"Mr. Lippman of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join."

Frusciante for President in '08
Do the following
reformat.
Install operating system.
Test system.
Now...one at a time..install stuff you use. After each installation. test.
Then maybe you can find the culprit.

Yeah its time consuming, but it usually works
^
also every test you do, make an image of the hard drive using Acronis or DriveImage . the latter one is free, but less features. so that you dont have to reformat all voer again once you find the culprit.
Check drive for errors.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Download driver's for hardware if you haven't already.
My Gear:
Gibson ES-335 (Dot)
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Spider III 75W
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Crybaby Wah
Epi Valve Junior Half stack
DS-1
Line 6 Floor Pod (FOR SALE!!!)
i think ive figured out the culprit, many times ive checked the processes and "vsmon.exe" is causing 97-99% of the cpu to be used... does anyone know what this is and if its suposed to be there?

edit: it also wont let me end the process
go to start > run > type "msconfig"

you can then disable unwanted startup items. Cool, huh?

PS> As far as I can recall, VSMON is an exe file related to Zone Alarm security.

I'm 99.999% sure it's either that or a legit piece of the OS.
but what if its an important thingy to run the operating system or something?
You should also run checkdisk (sometimes seen as chkdsk) every month or so, it's a good piece of software.

You can usually spot things on the loadup menu that can be disabled, because they'll have the actual program names, or similar.
alright ill try it but if it messes up my computer im gunna flame yo ass:P
Just don't disable anything that you don't know what it is.

As long as you follow that simple precept, you have my ass. And permission to flame it.
Vtmon is an important part of Zonealarm that monitors your internet traffic and finds and alerts you of threats.

As far as I can imagine this shouldn't be taking up so much of your CPU. I can only imagine that something is piggy-backing on it, some spyware or something.

Have a look in the task manager and see where the file is located. Eg is it in C:\Windows etc. What is its location.

Edit: Disabling it essentially opens the gate to spyware and viruses. You could have the best protection in the world but disabling that operation (providing its real) opens the front door and invites everything in.

So what I told you, find the location, it might tell you why its taking up so much CPU.
its located in SYSTEM, which is an unlikely place for spyware to be hanging out
I don't know, these creepy crawlies like to hang around there, alright.

It really shouldn't use that much cpu power though, I think ClaptonWannabe is onto something.
Might not be spyware.

But aren't the files in the systems registry windows files only?

I don't see why Zonealarm would be in the windows system files.

A little theory I have is that you have a cookie or a temporary file somewhere on your computer that is sending out loads of messages to websites in order to essentially inundate you with pop-ups and downloads. I reckon your zonealarm is doing a great job at protecting you from all this crap thats coming your way but in turn its working its arse off and slowing everything right down. Try this. Turn off your PC, turn off the modem (if you know how to do so, obviously I accept no responsibility if you break something) then restart the PC so there is no internet connection. Then delete all of your cookies, temporary internet files, and do every scan you have, especially a Malware scan.

Hopefully without the internet connection Zonealarm won't be active and it'll run fine. Would narrow it down anyway.

Edit: Tbh all it'd show is that is IS zonealarm, but hopefully after doing all that the nasty thing will be gone and when you reconnect to the internet things will be fine again.

Just a stab in the dark really.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Sep 17, 2007,
My guess would be that the way it operates, it needs to have a root in the reg files. On my computer, at least, I know that it tends to boot on start around the same time windows components do, whereas things like norton a and msn messenger open later...

That said, I'm not the computer expert people claim me to be, so that's just an uninformed, if somewhat logical, guess.
Tom Tucker:I cant figure out how to acces my email from home
Ollieidyou activate CPA?
Tom Tucker:Yes Ollie
Ollie:Enable Cookies?
Tom Tucker:Yes Ollie
Ollie:You want this dog?
Tom Tucker:No thank you ollie

CALL GEEK SQUAD
?!
Last edited by grenade24 at Sep 17, 2007,
Quote by BrianApocalypse
My guess would be that the way it operates, it needs to have a root in the reg files. On my computer, at least, I know that it tends to boot on start around the same time windows components do, whereas things like norton a and msn messenger open later...

That said, I'm not the computer expert people claim me to be, so that's just an uninformed, if somewhat logical, guess.

Thats true but I don't think it'd be directly in Systems.

Check my post above, I edited it, see what you think.
That's what I figured, that's why I said "root", as opposed to "it's in there".

Better way to disable the internet would be to open the control panel > my connections, or w/e and disable them that way. 0% chance of mechanical failure.

A lot of these bugs aren't like human bugs. If you imprison a living bug, it'll die. if you isolate a computer one, chances are it'll start back up again... unless the filepaths change by whatever...
more liek your hard drive could be dead. mine did that my whole system was slow and it keept getting slower untill the point where it would take forever just to boot windows.. last time it actually booted up it took like an hour. so i would look into your hard drive buddy. most likely need a new one
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by cyclobs
more liek your hard drive could be dead. mine did that my whole system was slow and it keept getting slower untill the point where it would take forever just to boot windows.. last time it actually booted up it took like an hour. so i would look into your hard drive buddy. most likely need a new one

No. Thats very unlikely since we've already established that Zonealarm is eating his CPU like nothing else.

You're absolutely right Brianapocalypse. That is an easier way of doing it and you're right about the root as well. I'm weird in that I know some stuff but not simple bits like that.

Also, I agree you with you on the bug bit as well, but I don't have nearly enough knowledge to find out whats wrong and get rid of it except by scaning the living daylights out of your computer lol.
what sort of CPU has he got into his pc..lol.. he told us ram but not cpu speed
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
ok yes what cpu do you have moden nuber and everything, then go to device manager and make sure thats exactly what it shows under proccesor, dunno how it woulnt be but its an option
edit if you need help finding ur proccesor specs google for a program like pc wizard or something theres planty of them and they can tell you what it is, or cantact ur oem.
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Page 1 of 2