ok so im asking this on behalf of my bro he needs to upgrades from a 100 watt roland cube
he plays a warwick double buck and plays heaps of slap stuff funk and rock from Flea to Victor Wooten he has a very up front role in his band creating most of melodies with tapping and what not so if any one could help that would rock
thanks
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

oh and i forgot to mention he is play large gigs and competeing with 2 100 watt half stacks
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Maybe a 4x10 and a 1x15 to get both the lows and highs... Or even a 4x12 might be good - they've got both punch and definition, or so I'm told.

As for a head, I'd prob say a GK, because you can pretty much dial it to any tone you want, and I believe Flea uses it too if that means anything.
ok sweet is there a particular type of GK you had in mind also what are mark bass like and david eden i think that what they are called

mark bass and eden amps are bloody expensive, that's what they are. For good reason too.

Anyways, a GK 600 backline stack will set you back about £370 from thomann.de. It's 300watts into a 2x10 and a 1x15, which should do you well against 100 watts of guitar amps. However, I'm a bit skeptical. 100 watts for large gigs? Not enough IMO.
well guitar wise thats 100 watts tube miced up as well

sweet and soo any other suggestions on brands as money isnt an issue

Look at the ABM series from Ashdown, fantastic amps (I have one).
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
cool are they tube or SS and i know tube and SS are a huge issue in the world of guitar how about in bass i always figured tube bass amps would be really warm and wouldnt suit an in ya face funk rock sound but i dont know jack about bass so if someone could enlighten me that would be awesome

It's got an SS power amp and two different pre-amp stages, one if SS and the other one has 2 tubes in. You can blend the signal of the tubes into the SS signal to make your tone warmer or more aggressive, or you can turn the tube preamp off completely.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by angusslashdime
cool are they tube or SS and i know tube and SS are a huge issue in the world of guitar how about in bass i always figured tube bass amps would be really warm and wouldnt suit an in ya face funk rock sound but i dont know jack about bass so if someone could enlighten me that would be awesome

To be honest I love the awesome tube crunch with slap. It sounds very unique.

Plus, if your freind has enough expendable income for a ****ING NICE Warwic, he should try bi-amping it. Get a nice warm tube for the low and and a sharp hard SS amp for the highs!
ok sweet could you suggest 2 amps

thousands of austalian dollars not quite sure he wont tell me but hes been saving up for years

so are ampeg good for tube warmth

Personally I'd run those babies through a Ampeg 410HLF on top of an Ampeg 118E with an Ampeg Pro 3 head (Say hello to my future rig), all together it'd run you about 2 grand, but dear sweet unholy god would it sound beautiful...

Other than that, SWR would probably be my second choice (The groove and power behind those things are orgasmic) or a Mesa Boogie (Expensive, but I hear they're worth it)
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
thanks man and cabs what speaker size?

If he does a lot of Slap Pop then I would suggest a 4x10. It will have the clarity you need, but it won't project as much as a 1x15. A 1x15 will probably be to unresponsive for the style he's playing, especially with that low-end monster of a bass. For a 4x10 I would strongly suggest the SWR Goliath III, it's by far the best 4x10 I've ever played out of.

Higher end amps, such as Ampeg and SWR (my personal favorite, such a warm sound) will have direct XLR output jacks, allowing you to directly line-in to a PA without having to cut the sound from your speakers.
Well, a good amp to suit a Warwick $$ is a bass amp. I wouldn't get a guitar amp.

Anyway, if competing with two 100W stacks, you'll want at LEAST 400W. I think a good ~800W stack would be great. Mesa and Marshall make 400W tube heads, and you should be able to get away with a 300W Ampeg Tube head. I'd look into SWR SM900 or Ampeg SVT4PRO if you want solid state, too.

For cabs, you're going to want a full stack. If both of the guitar players have full stacks, you'll definitely need one. You should look into 810's and 410's with a 115/118. Those solid-state heads I recommended are stereo rigs, so you may be able to benefit from the 2 cabs as opposed to the 810.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
so a good 4,10 miced up would do well for heaps of slap pop

ya a good one would do fine, Eden, Trace-Elliot, Mesa, and Ampeg are my favorite more expensive brands(especially Mesa) so if he's got the money have him try some out.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by thefitz
Well, a good amp to suit a Warwick $$ is a bass amp. I wouldn't get a guitar amp.

Anyway, if competing with two 100W stacks, you'll want at LEAST 400W. I think a good ~800W stack would be great. Mesa and Marshall make 400W tube heads, and you should be able to get away with a 300W Ampeg Tube head. I'd look into SWR SM900 or Ampeg SVT4PRO if you want solid state, too.

For cabs, you're going to want a full stack. If both of the guitar players have full stacks, you'll definitely need one. You should look into 810's and 410's with a 115/118. Those solid-state heads I recommended are stereo rigs, so you may be able to benefit from the 2 cabs as opposed to the 810.

Not necessarily dude.
I play a 300watt laney 4x10, and it can match my guitarists 180watt all tube Diezel 'Herbert' stack (about £2300, thats about $5000 US, thats LOTS of australian dollars! haha)
And soundwise I can match it. I can even match it at the last open air festival we played. The Laney is about £400, which is about $800 US, but since everything is cheaper in America, you'll probably find it for alot less than that!
^Well, see, this dude is competing with 2 100W amps. When a guitar amp is over 100W tube, it's sole purpose is for high-gain. The reason there is so much power is simply for headroom. That amp allows for the preamp section to distort to holy high hell while leaving the power amp section running rather cool. This is because tube amps sound like absolute garbage when the preamp is severly overdriven while the power amp is overdriven as well. Unless your guitar player's tone sounds like crap, his volume isn't louder, or may even be lower, than a 100W guitar amp without a high-gain preamp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..