Poll Options
View poll results: Do you collect CDs?
Yes
87 76%
No
27 23%
Voters: 115.
Page 1 of 2
I do, I am obsessed with buying CDs. I prefer them to mp3s purely for the fact that I own the physical album over just the audio. I'm very proud of my CD rack!

I've also got a small vinyl collection, about 20 or so. They were all my parents'.

By the way, in order to classify as a collector, you've got to have a relatively decent amount of CDs with no intent of stopping buying CDs!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I just started this summer. I'm at 26 CD now. I think I'll hit 100 before the end of Spring quarter in 08.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by MakinLattes
yeah.. I have 400-500 CDs, some vinyl and tapes..

How long have you been collecting CDs!? I've got about 120 or so and I've been collecting since about 2003ish.
Quote by Kartman

How long have you been collecting CDs!? I've got about 120 or so and I've been collecting since about 2003ish.

since I was about six or seven. I prowl the used section.
ive got about 300 cds, and if you think thats a crazy amount my dad has like 6000 cds... yea this is the house that music built
My plan is to slowly acquire the discographies of my favorite bands and the bands that I'm currently into now that will soon get added to my list of favorites.

Taking Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, and Guardian alone, that's at about 50 CDs to collect, taking just the studio albums of each band.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
CDs and vinyl for me, I try not to download
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeah i actually love having the physical cd. Its just that i usually dont have enough money to trow around on them.

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Quote by yeahyeah
CDs and vinyl for me, I try not to download

I'm the same way. I only download bootlegs and unreleased material. If it's relatively easy to obtain on CD, I'd much prefer to buy the CD.
I'm actually trying to rebuild my collection. I used to have a few hundred. I'm back up to about 60 or so right now.
I ONLY buy CDs, I hate downloading. You don't get the packaging, and all of my CDs are perfectly placed in alphabetical order. It will be a sad day (and it will come soon) when album covers and album artwork are no more.
I would, but there's no record store where I live and the only other place to get them is ****ing Borders where they charge like $20 for a CD... ($25 if it's a double album.)
I never bought CDs till this summer. There's no greater satisfaction in life than buying a good band's CD, ripping apart the plastic, reading through the booklet and blasting the CD in your car. Everyone agrees?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I've got probably 50 or 60 CD's, and I don't intend to quit buying them anytime soon. So I guess that would make me a CD collector ...
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Quote by Kartman
I'm the same way. I only download bootlegs and unreleased material.

I thought i was the only one here on UG!!! i hate illegal downloading, mainly because most of my fav bands still have day jobs
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
I ONLY buy CDs, I hate downloading. You don't get the packaging, and all of my CDs are perfectly placed in alphabetical order. It will be a sad day (and it will come soon) when album covers and album artwork are no more.
Agreed. I love my DVDs too.

Oh and great av - that's my desktop wallpaper right now.
Quote by Rengori
I would, but there's no record store where I live and the only other place to get them is ****ing Borders where they charge like $20 for a CD... ($25 if it's a double album.)

thats pretty cheap for a cd in AUS... borders here are more like $30 to $40
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
I have a decent CD collection. Probably close to 70. What I do is download albums on OiNK, give them a listen, and then decide if I want to buy them. I love OiNK and use it more for previewing rather than obtaining. But sometimes I'll put off buying albums if I'm saving up for new gear because that's more important to me. Most of the CD's I buy are from artists who are dead anyways, so I don't feel guilty about waiting on feeding the label.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Never ever buy CDs from Borders. You might as well just give your bank account to them while you're at it, if you buy your CDs there.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I never bought CDs till this summer. There's no greater satisfaction in life than buying a good band's CD, ripping apart the plastic, reading through the booklet and blasting the CD in your car. Everyone agrees?

yeah, now try that with a 7 or 12 inch, its like that x 50 (minus the blasting in your car part ) You really grow to appreciate good album art with vinyl as well
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I have about 400 or so, I haven't been getting much lately though due to money problems. I only download when it's unreleased/demo stuff; but sometimes I like to download an album before I buy it to make sure it's good if it's a band I've never heard of before(I think downloading a lot of random crap is a good way to get into bands you don't know about before you start buying their cds.).

Nothing beats actually having the cd/tape/vinyl though. I like it when a band thanks the fans in their "Thank You"'s.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
Quote by yeahyeah
yeah, now try that with a 7 or 12 inch, its like that x 50 (minus the blasting in your car part ) You really grow to appreciate good album art with vinyl as well

Yea, I agree. CD album art is too small to genuinely appreciate, but you can get some good-sized artwork with records. I'm gonna start collecting records soon too.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
I did, but I've got no money

Once I get a job I'll start getting them again.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by groll01
thats pretty cheap for a cd in AUS... borders here are more like $30 to $40
$20 USD is about $33 AUS, so lets just agree that Borders is a ripoff anywhere.

I actually do have a lot of old CD's, but I lost all the CD's that were in them because there was I time when I didn't have an iPod and the ****ing airline lost all the CD's. -_- I still have the cases though.
I love buying CD's, I usually end up buying a couple everytime I'm in the town centre, even when I'm short on cash, it's like an addiction

I've got about 110 from the past year or so, I'm sort of really just buying the discography's of my favourite bands, which is like another 50 or 60 there, and then just random CD's that I think I'd like/want.

CD's are well better than MP3 downloading aswell, legally or illegaly, I much prefer to have the case and the actual CD and then little book and things. Although getting a new 'W' CD and having to move all the upper ones on my rack is a pain.
I'd never buy a song as a download, unless I maybe liked one song by an otherwise awful band.

I;ve got about 400CDs, not bought any for a while (skint!)
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
I got like 75-80 CDs, and a couple of LPs
Rolling StonesNeil YoungBob MarleyGram ParsonsAC/DCThe beatlesChuck BerryThe WhoCreedence Clearwater Revival
i have quite a lot of cds but i dont collect them, however i started collecting Vinyls a few months ago.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Dowloading is great, on limewire i can find some really obscure metal which i would be searching for years to find. But Cds are so much better, having the physical value of the disc, its artwork and seeing a whole stack of them in my bedreoom is awesome.

And I've always found better sounds from a cd player instead of a pc or an ipod player.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I have quite a large CD collection and I love buying them. Usually I buy stuff which is on sale as they can usually be about 4 or 5 quid though now that I am listening to more obscure music, it is harder to find it and then it is more expensive.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
I like to buy my CDs, but I don't own many, since most of them are high-jacked by my dad since we both like the same type of music. My dad has a record collection, he has been at it since 1950-something so you can imagine how many he has got. I have been dropping hints as to a few I want for myself.
I buy CDs when I find the stuff I want on them, but all the shops around me have no jazz CDs so I end up having to download them.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Yeah, I try and buy CD's as often as possible. But when it boils down to it, paying 40 bucks for some imported Metal CD is just lame.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
I used to collect CDs, but I recently moved on to Vinyls because I realized you could get a lot of really awesome stuff for a cheap price and also because I enjoy going to the second hand record shops here. I got about 30 of them now, and about 100 CDs.
Page 1 of 2