i wish i had one to record with.. does anybody know of anyplace that i could buy a sitar?
how much would it cost?
is it really THAT different than playing a guitar?

if i could, id record an awesome sounding middle eastern indian thingy.. using the harmonic minor scale of course.

any help is appreciated
Quote by jimmysaint
using the harmonic minor scale of course.

I hate you.

But yea, the Sitar is a totally different instrument. The style of playing a sitar vs. a guitar is vastly different. Just do some research on how the instrument is built and how the tuning and playing style differs from a guitar. If you really want one, you could probably order one from India, but it would cost you up the ass.

Quote by burn the stars

That's no Sitar....
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It's very different from playing a guitar. You use a little claw on your index finger to play it, and it has around 20 strings. Some of them are drone strings that must be tuned differently for each song. You only really use two fingers on the left hand and you only play on one string usually. It has these weird curved frets too.
Quote by Cpt.Bones
Classical music stores, they probably cost a ton though.

Well unless you buy a Squier Sitar, but I hear the actions high on those.

action is adjustable.
Quote by Cpt.Bones
Classical music stores, they probably cost a ton though.

Well unless you buy a Squier Sitar, but I hear the actions high on those.

Do not think of the sitar as being similar to guitar, because it isn't. The action is set up completely differently. The sitar isn't meant to be blazing through scales, it's really difficult to even play a simple melody accurately and cleanly. Edit: Unless you're Ravi Shankar.

Note: Electric sitars are only guitars that are made to sound like sitars. They are completely different than traditional sitars.
Last edited by Chaingarden at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by burn the stars

I want one..... anyone know were u can get one in aus?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
I've seen someone play a sitar, and I must say it looks crazy different from playing a guitar. Right from the way they tend to hold it.

But they are very cool.
Quote by nosushi4you
It doesn't. I like jerking off, but I'm sure as hell not gonna do it with my Dad.
Quote by punkrocker10115
I <3 you!
Yes it is!
Second one to me

Kids, drugs are dangerous. Stay safe.
MATT i totally have that pedalboard and setting, but it does NOT sound like a sitar at all.

man, i cant wait to mAKE a psychedelic jam track with a sitar run on it