OK title says it all. Not sure how the hell do i stop this. We have a mixer, when i plug it in i keep getting shocked if i put my elbow on the strings or on the pickups and what not. Also sometimes when i touch the mic.

Needless to say i turned it off. Any idea what i can do about this?
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
equipment as in the wire itself or a whole new mixer ?b Ok this might sound stupid but in my friend's house we really never shocked from the mixer. So what is it, the wire, my plug? i mean could it be something else thats stopping it at his place that i dont have some sort of conductor or what not. Also, the mixer is on a wooden table and on a carpet, just thought id let you guys know before you say it might be the surface.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

You've got a short somewhere, might not even be in the mixer, best solution is to send all your equipment to me and start over.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Well you could try buying an RCD to plug into the wall then plug your mixer into that, it will just make sure that there is no residual current and should stop you getting a shock. If not then I would buy new equipment or get a replacement from the company if it's still in warranty because that's quite dangerous lol.
seems to me like a divide and conquer situation. ill try out differnt stuff. Ill try it in a different electricity socket, then ill try it with another wire. HOW much does an rcd usually cost . Excuse my ignorance, i miss kissing my mic while singing, my lips got burnt so bad.
Quote by greendayguitar

It could be a grounding problem if it's only a problem in your house.
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
what do you mean by grounding problem?, As in solution would be?

You guys gotta excuse my ignorance .
Quote by greendayguitar

Quote by Marwanbaki
what do you mean by grounding problem?, As in solution would be?

You guys gotta excuse my ignorance .

I mean if one of the phases in the powersupply or cable is touching the chassis of your mixer, the chassis and the grounded parts of the equipment connected to it could get a potential of 132 volts in 230 volts systems or 69 volts in 120 volt systems. I'm sorry for the bad explanation, english is my second language.
Quote by p o e

^ I would have said the same thing.

Seems like your the new earth when you pick up a guitar or a mic. FFS, I hope youve got an ELCB or trip on your mains. You could get a nasty burn if you arent.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
ok so do we all agree that a RCD should be able to fix this?
Quote by greendayguitar

Quote by Marwanbaki
equipment as in the wire itself or a whole new mixer ?b Ok this might sound stupid but in my friend's house we really never shocked from the mixer. So what is it, the wire, my plug? i mean could it be something else thats stopping it at his place that i dont have some sort of conductor or what not. Also, the mixer is on a wooden table and on a carpet, just thought id let you guys know before you say it might be the surface.
Doesn't sound stupid at all. It sounds like the grounding system in your house is poor. The ground is probably tied to the neutral and there is too much resistance between the ground connection of outlet and true ground. when current flows through the neutral, it causes a voltage drop across the resistance. so your mixer's ground is several volts from being grounded.

You don't have this problem at your friends house. His wiring isn't stuffed.

Have an electrician check your house wiring. This does not sound good.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Marwanbaki
OK title says it all. Not sure how the hell do i stop this. We have a mixer, when i plug it in i keep getting shocked if i put my elbow on the strings or on the pickups and what not. Also sometimes when i touch the mic.

Needless to say i turned it off. Any idea what i can do about this?

1 - get an outlet tester at home depot and see if the wiring at your outlets are good.
get a better surge strip if you are using a cheap one already...(I use a good computer grade unit and run a cheap power strip off that).

sounds like a missing ground and I suggest having your equipment and house wiring checked.

edit
so it never happens out of your house
then that is easy, its your house wiring...you have an open ground and plugging in an outlet tester will confirm this.
call an electrician to find and fix the problem ASAP.
it is dangerous using an ungrounded outlet and it may hurt your equipment.

while your at it, check all the outlets in your house...it could be a problem at the power panel making the grounds open all throughout the house which really isnt good at all...
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Have an electrician check your house wiring. This does not sound good.

+1. I forgot that he didn't have this problem at his friends house. If there's a ground loop in the electrical system, it can cause damage to the electrical system, and even a fire. Buying an RCD plug won't fix the problem.
Quote by p o e

Thank alot guys , will keep you updated
Quote by greendayguitar

ok guys heres an update, i live in an apartment and i tried the mixer in all different parts of the house and i still get those weird shocks. Let me point out that we do get very very very minor shocks at my friend's place too, but we barely feel them. Yet when its off and we touch its base we get a big one. But in his place we use an extension cable and some type of weird plug, thats why i dont really think its my house, i think its the mixer maybe?

Anyway heres another thing which makes me doubt its the wiring. My friends and i dont really know THAT much about mixers. Theres a switch called phantom switch. It cant be turned on after the mixer is turned on, only before. I have no idea what this thing does i just know that it somehow adds some power, ill read its description like it is in the manual.

"The phantom switch activates the phantom power(necassary to operate condenser microphones) on the XLR sockets of the mono channels. The red +48 v led illuminates when the phantom power is on. As a rule , dynamic microphones can still be used with phantom power, provieded they are wired in a balanced configuration. "

So anyway, i tried the mixer without this phantom power thing and guess what, no more shocks, all good. So thing is whats wrong there, why is that happening when its on and i really COULD live without it but my drummer has an acoustic set that has mics connected to it, how do we know if his mics are dynamic or condensed and why is the phantom causing this, im taking it back to the store next week cause thats when my friend who works there will be back, just thought id give it a shot before that you know.

Sorry im bothering you guys, but hey if u can help, why not.

Thanks
Quote by greendayguitar

Last edited by Marwanbaki at Sep 10, 2007,