since i have a few concerns...

1 what'll happen if i plug a bass into a guitar amp and vice versa?
2 could i use a distorion pedal on a bass?
3 what are some basic bass techniques?
4 on a bass, when should i change strings?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
1. Can cause minor to serious damage. Won't sound that great either.

2. Yes, but there are bass-specific distortion pedals. For example though, you can plug a Boss Delay DD-6 into a keyboard.

3. Finger playing, pick playing, slapping, popping, walking bass line (for 12 bar for example).

4. When one breaks (meh?) or when you feel they sound ultra dead or they start deteriorating onto the fretboard.

- Hope that helps mate.
Oh. I thought I answered the questions okay.

Leave it to the bass forum Jackolas. *cries*
Quote by Jackolas
1. Can cause minor to serious damage. Won't sound that great either.

2. Yes, but there are bass-specific distortion pedals. For example though, you can plug a Boss Delay DD-6 into a keyboard.

3. Finger playing, pick playing, slapping, popping, walking bass line (for 12 bar for example).

4. When one breaks (meh?) or when you feel they sound ultra dead or they start deteriorating onto the fretboard.

- Hope that helps mate.

You break a bass string, it takes out your eye. You usually only replace them when they go dead (as you suggested)
Quote by bearded_monkey
You break a bass string, it takes out your eye. You usually only replace them when they go dead (as you suggested)

You break a double bass string, it takes out your neck.
golden rule: guitar + bass amp = ok....bass + guitar amp = children die
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
will the distorion sound good though?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
What sort of damage can bass guitar in a guitar amp do?

And in my experience it seems to sound fine, provided you use a clean channel.
If you have the bass frequency too high you run the risk of blowing the amp altogether. Even if you don't, there's usually a horrendous rattle or buzzing sound. Kit yourself up with a decent bass amp, it's well worth the money if you're serious about the instrument. If you're just practicing, however, put it through an amp with the volume and bass pretty low.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
noone answered my question

WILL THE DISTORTION SOUND GOOD OR ****TY
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
since i have a few concerns...

1 what'll happen if i plug a bass into a guitar amp and vice versa?
2 could i use a distorion pedal on a bass?
3 what are some basic bass techniques?
4 on a bass, when should i change strings?

1. I used to play a bass in a guitar amp a bit and had no problems, didn't sound bad either (not sure if it affects anything, but it was only a 10W practise amp).

I do play my guitar in my bass amp now, and it actually sounds pretty good, I like it - but I have a processor that I use most of the time and just run my guitar through my hifi and/or laptop. If the batteries on the processor die then I use my bass amp, but obviously can only play on clean. Still like it.

2. I run my bass through a guitar effects processor/pedal I have and it works fine, there is a bass specific processor, but I got mine for guitar and have no problems with my bass through it, so... Yeah.

3. How basic?

4. I honestly have no idea [unless you break one]. I know my bass strings need changing though.

EDIT: Whether or not a distorted bass sounds good is opinion.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club