I wonder if it's possible to put a floyd rose on a telecaster...
it will **** up the tone an sound of the guitar???
A common misconception is that Tom Morello uses a lot of effects. He really doesn't. He just knows how to use them and his guitar better than your average player.
I don't know if you can buy it with the floyd rose in a store, but maybe you can ask someone to put in on your tele, or try to contact the fender guys and let them make a custom telecaster. I think the first option is better affordable, but maybe you can buy them in a store. I'm not really an expert in fender guitars
buy a tele body, route for a FR then buy all new parts.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i think the tele body is too thin for a FR

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I used to have one, they made them in the early 90's, they were called hmt's (heavy metal telecasters)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by hendriko
i think the tele body is too thin for a FR

No way, I've seen some pretty thick telecasters and some pretty thin guitars with Floyd Roses on them.

Putting a Floyd Rose on a Telecaster is sacrilege, much like putting Floyd Rose on a Les Paul.

I think it'd be cool to see though, just like it was cool to see the "Floyd Paul" (Floyd Rose and Les Paul) build thread.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Don't put a Floyd on a tele if you like the tele sound. Part of the tele sound lies in the bridge.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
^Thats true. But, If you're the sort of person who wants a floyd rose on your guitar, you probably wont want the "tele" sound. :P:
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12

Fender HMT.. Probably one of Fender's sillier ideas.

It can be done to a normal tele but as with putting a FR on any guitar, it's a difficult job and best left to a professional unless you can afford to completely ruin a few guitars while you make mistakes.
kahler FTW
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
Quote by TheDev01dOne

I think it looks good, and would be good for me, maybe not for heavy metal seeing as it seems to be thinline style and there would be feedback issues but it'd be good for the stuff I play none-the-less.
Its only semi hollow so there would be no feedback problems really.

I dunno, I'd probably buy one if I had the change just because it's so different and I'm a tele-addict. But if I was seriously after a shred/metal guitar that would be the last thing I think of buying.

Kramer used to make Telecaster shape guitars with FRs and reverse Jackson headstocks too, I'll look for a pic

Maybe it was Charvel with the Jackson-esque headstocks.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by Ippon
Fender Japan made a limited edition of FRTeles:

Were these not the absolutely frigging horrible System I, II & III Trems?

They were awful for tuning stability.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Were these not the absolutely frigging horrible System I, II & III Trems?

They were awful for tuning stability.

Dunno! I have an '87 MIJ Strat with the Fender-branded FR ... which a lot of noobs bash as unstable. I suspect these are the same noobulicious noobulets who regurgitate what they've read and have absolutely no experience or haven't even touched one. I think they just don't know how to properly set them up. How complicated can a simple mechanical piece like a bridge or a tuning peg get?

Quote by Ippon
Dunno! I have an '87 MIJ Strat with the Fender-branded FR ... which a lot of noobs bash as unstable. I suspect these are the same noobulicious noobulets who regurgitate what they've read and have absolutely no experience or haven't even touched one. I think they just don't know how to properly set them up. How complicated can a simple mechanical piece like a bridge or a tuning peg get?

appreantly pretty complicated.
this is true with practice comes mistakes, with mistakes comes experience, with experience comes skill...
This thread actually upset me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I actually went and picked up my telecaster, hugged her, admired the string-through ferules on the back of the body and promised never to hack a hole through her for any reason.

A tele is a string through instrument, it's that other fender that actually has sustain and tuning stability. Once you go cutting holes in it, it's not a telecaster anymore. I don't even like the idea of a top-loading bridge.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
This thread actually upset me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I actually went and picked up my telecaster, hugged her, admired the string-through ferules on the back of the body and promised never to hack a hole through her for any reason.

A tele is a string through instrument, it's that other fender that actually has sustain and tuning stability. Once you go cutting holes in it, it's not a telecaster anymore. I don't even like the idea of a top-loading bridge.

I agree that I prefer it to other Tele mods/tweaks/limited editions. I used to think that the Strat with a bridge Humbucker and/or (gasp) a FR was blasphemy. The variety makes it all interesting, though.

And the stringthrough is a major requirement for a Tele.
Quote by Ippon

I have a MIJ Strat too, the tuning on it isn't to good really, but again it's not really absolute **** either.
I've never used the HM-teles myself, but I was told they have really bad tuning stability for the System Trems, again, I don't know, I've never used one and going by word of mouth, so please, don't act like a prick.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by TheDev01dOne

It can be done to a normal tele but as with putting a FR on any guitar, it's a difficult job and best left to a professional unless you can afford to completely ruin a few guitars while you make mistakes.

bet u wouldn't think it was silly if it said ESP on the headstock! I guess it's a bit silly to have a guitar like that semi acoustic but you would be surprised how metallic of a sound you can get out of even a gibson ES-335 shape guitar. Anywho, you must have seen the GnR "sweet child o' mine" vid? well the "other" guitarrist was playing a telecaster shape guitar with a floyd rose and 2 humbuckers. I think it's a charvel. But yeah i'm sure you could get a floyd rose in a standard fender tho. And in answer to ur original question, yes it would **** up the tone but if you want a floyd rose then maybe that's not the tone for you? Although having said that some metal bands do like to have that twang for some solos. maybe then you should look at getting a bigsby and locking tuners/graphite/roller nut? you can buy a combination bridge/trem kit for a tele and it would be much easier to install than a floyd rose 'cos it's just putting in a few screws.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 9, 2007,
The hmt i used to have actually played amazing, but yes had bad tuning stability.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
This is a quasi perfect tele. Just lacks the ashtray bridge.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
I have a MIJ Strat too, the tuning on it isn't to good really, but again it's not really absolute **** either.
I've never used the HM-teles myself, but I was told they have really bad tuning stability for the System Trems, again, I don't know, I've never used one and going by word of mouth, so please, don't act like a prick.

I don't see how I was acting like a prick. It was an observation:

Quote by Ippon

Quote by jmag

BOING!!! Set neck too, not sure about the EMG's though...Duncan's please!
Quote by jmag

Must have....
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
There is no rule stating that a telecaster cannot have a Floyd bridge. The body is thick enough for it, so go for it. Warmoth sells tele bodies that are already routed for various vibrato bridge systems, and you can get just about any wood you want.
Quote by TwoString
There is no rule stating that a telecaster cannot have a Floyd bridge. The body is thick enough for it, so go for it. Warmoth sells tele bodies that are already routed for various vibrato bridge systems, and you can get just about any wood you want.

Well no there's no rule, but if you're going to take away its essential telecasterishness, in favour of modern toys, you may as well have a deep doublecut shape and a 24 fret superfast neck. Once you've fitted the FR, you might as well have bought the Ibanez to begin with.

On the other hand it is kind of cool having a modern metal guitar that pays tribute to the first ever solid body electric shape. It's the guitar equivalent of a PT cruiser or new Beetle.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by jmag

Lol ESP put too many strings on it! Nice QC they have there

I'm kind of growing on the idea of an FR tele.

You could probably leave the metal plate and slant single coil bridge pickup, but like make it shorter without the back saddle part and then put the FR on there and it would retain a lot of it's twang.

Someone should build one now so we can see how it sounds!
Quote by jmag

Awesome. I think it's good they left out the ashtray since it probably wouldn't look great with 7 strings, and Tune-o-Matic FTW!

I've been desiging a guitar for about 3 months now that is basically the child from a 3 way between a tele, a les paul custom, and a fender performer...Needless to say, my first drawing was really awkward. My current design is close to what I'd love to build someday.
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti

Did the word "overreacting" come to mind for anybody else?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by jmag

As a telecaster owner I feel violated.

Though mine's not much less absurd (see sig).
Quote by *kas
Did the word "overreacting" come to mind for anybody else?

Yeah it was a bit of an over-reaction, but it was late at night, and the over-tiredness was making me really sensitive. You know when you get into a mood where the sad bits of Disney movies upset you? Well that trem routing was like the end of All Dogs go to Heaven.

Out of character for me actually, I have a reputation for being really desensitised to most things.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Well no there's no rule, but if you're going to take away its essential telecasterishness, in favour of modern toys, you may as well have a deep doublecut shape and a 24 fret superfast neck. Once you've fitted the FR, you might as well have bought the Ibanez to begin with.

On the other hand it is kind of cool having a modern metal guitar that pays tribute to the first ever solid body electric shape. It's the guitar equivalent of a PT cruiser or new Beetle.

If you're like me, you hate Ibanez solid bodies and don't need 24 frets. A telecaster body with a big baseball bat neck and a nice tremolo (not necessarily locking) is what I'm looking for...I'll build one of these eventually. The telecaster has a lot more going for it than just twang...to me, it's one of the best guitars for metal because of it's high end response.

EDIT - on the subject of All Dogs Go To Heaven...I feel your pain.
Quote by Ippon
Fender Japan made a limited edition of FRTeles:

my fingers feel gruby just looking at that thing lol

and what the hell is that chunk of metal they call a bridge???
floyds have evidently REALLY evolved since then lol
Quote by Tom_Morello_jr
I wonder if it's possible to put a floyd rose on a telecaster...
it will **** up the tone an sound of the guitar???

A floyd rose has got so much mass and so many moving parts that it sucks all the strings energy.