Can't figure this out.
My friends round my house with his laptop. We're both connected using my modem to the internet.
How do I connect to his laptop and access his stuff and vice versa?
you need a router and need to set one of the comps as a server, match the IP address's...ect not hard just alot of teious work.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
Tell him to put the files he wants to share in his "shared folders".

Then you go to Start --> My Network Places, then "Shared Docs on *Friend's Laptop*".

EDIT: Wait, both the computers are on the same network, right?
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by denizenz
Have him share the folder(s) you want to access, find out his IP address by typing ipconfig in a command window, and then go to Start, Run, and type \\(his IP address)

with no parenthesis of course.

that works to...
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
If you are both connected to the same connection all you need to do is create a network and share folders. To create a network go to control panel and dubbel click network connections, on the left you should see "set up a home or small network office", make one and have your friend make one too, use the same settings for both and give them the same EXACT name, that's important.

Once that's done you'll need to share some folders just right click on one and select Properties, then click on sharing and tick "share this folder on the network". Then go to My Network Places, click microsoft windows network, "name of network" and then you should see all the folders you've shared and your friend have shared.

This is for XP, vista should be similar. And I think you'll need admin rights to your pc.