hey dudes,
Im haveing a nightmare chooseing a new amp. I had the Roland cube 60 and really didnt like any of the models/tones. What is the best all tube amp up to £350 max?

I like to play all kinds of styles, not sure if i really want solid state again. I was thinking about the Fender Blues Junior or the Vox Ac15.

Bascially i want a nice clean tube sound with good overdrive, nothing else.

many thanks!
Thats really strange that you didn't like any of the tones on the Roland cube. I played it after I played a Bogner amp and thought it sounded great for the price.

What tone (band or artist) do you like?

Just switching to a tube amp isn't going to cure your tone search; the cube is a great amp for the money...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Vox has a few models out where the pre-amp is tubed. i own the 100 watt and it is amazing! i paid $550 USD
Quote by MESAexplorer
Thats really strange that you didn't like any of the tones on the Roland cube. I played it after I played a Bogner amp and thought it sounded great for the price.

What tone (band or artist) do you like?

Just switching to a tube amp isn't going to cure your tone search; the cube is a great amp for the money...

My faveiroute artists are Buckethead and Paul Gilbert. But i like to play rock, blues, shred all sorts really!
Laney VC15 or 30, Peavey Classic, there's loads more.

The Blues Jr and AC15 are great amps, but won't overdrive until you turn them up.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Laney VC30. Best tone for your er..bone (Cash..?).

Blues Jr's OD is bleurgh, IMO. I've got one and while it excels at clean and lower gain, you won't get a great OD out of it. Mind you, with a nice OD pedal....

Oops, sorry, drifted off there. The VC30 sounds perfect. I want one myself
Yea with a nice OD you will. I use a Fulltone OCD with mine, and it defines perfection.
Don't be afraid to care"

Thanks for your response guys much appreciated. I was originally going to buy a Laney VC30 but the man told me it wasnt a very good amp!

The Fender Blues Junior sounds lovely to me when i listen to it on youtube. But im worried i wont be able to do any shred techniques on it.....
The blues Junior is best for well, blues, country twang, mild od. Sure you can hook up a Metal distortion pedal but it's going to be ultra treble based.

Those Laney VC30's are good, I've never used an OD with one but as similar as they are to the Mesa F series with a bit of OD they should put you in shredville.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^The blues Jr does that stuff with no pedals, but if you use it with a good OD pedal then you'll get some great rock tones.
Don't be afraid to care"

Sounds like the Laney is a good amp. Does it sound "tubey" on cleans? I love that glassy sound!
Quote by R_H_C_P
^The blues Jr does that stuff with no pedals, but if you use it with a good OD pedal then you'll get some great rock tones.

Yes, thats what I said

But if you're into shred and metal, a Blues Jr. and Distortion pedal will not be what he's looking for.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by crispychicken
Sounds like the Laney is a good amp. Does it sound "tubey" on cleans? I love that glassy sound!

Yes, good clean channel, with proper EQing you can take it from fat jazz to a glassy bluesy tone and with some more EQing you can get a dark hallow tone.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Im not a huge metal fan, i just absolutely love bucketheads playing/techniques. My practice routine consists of alternate picking, legato, sweep arpeggios, blusey rock/pentatonics, you name it i play it
Go and try one out for yourself, you might like it.
Don't be afraid to care"

Unfortuanlty there are no good music shops for many many miles! damn this chooseing is hard work!
Quote by crispychicken
hey man,
i considered it. But i did a search on here and everyone was slating it big time

It's an ALRIGHT valve amp for it's price, but there are many other, better amps out there.
The cleans aren't that good on it imo.
I'd say that the Laney is your best bet, unless you'd prefer the Blues Jnr. The guy in the shop who told you that the VC30 isn't a good amp doesn't have a clue what he's talking about
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I think id rather have good cleans, and add pedals to get various OD's/distortions
I havent seen anyone slate the laney or Fender on UG so either cant be half bad

My new amp wont be gigged, its for bedroom practice only! If i did go for the fender blues junior and a good OD pedal, would it cope with shred techniques?

thanks again
Quote by crispychicken
I think id rather have good cleans, and add pedals to get various OD's/distortions
I havent seen anyone slate the laney or Fender on UG so either cant be half bad

My new amp wont be gigged, its for bedroom practice only! If i did go for the fender blues junior and a good OD pedal, would it cope with shred techniques?

thanks again

Good for you man the Valveking is a poor tube amp for what you pay. The guy in the store who told you the VC30 was a bad amp - did he try and recommend you a Spider 3 by any chance? If he did, or an MG, go back to the store, slap him, stamp your feet and cry

"GIVE ME A VC30. NOW!!!"

And yes, the Blues Junior is a good amp for pedals, with good quality ones, you could get pretty much anything you want. Just, for me, I do prefer the onboard OD to anything. Even an OCD, R_H_C_P, much as I'm GASing for one
Quote by crispychicken
thanks man. would the Vox AC15 be on par for clean channels for use with pedals also?

Yeah, Vox AC's always have nice clean tones, arguably some of the best (on one or two of the bigger models), I don't really know how well they break up, you'd have to ask someone who owns one (slatsmania?).

So I would go for the VC30, I think it breaks up reasonably well and it's value for money.
Quote by Don_Humpador

And yes, the Blues Junior is a good amp for pedals, with good quality ones, you could get pretty much anything you want. Just, for me, I do prefer the onboard OD to anything. Even an OCD, R_H_C_P, much as I'm GASing for one

Oh man, buy one and it'll change your world around.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Oh man, buy one and it'll change your world around.

Now now, patience is a virtue, etc. I want to swap my BJ for a VC, then I'll get one. And then I can bask in it's beauty and show it to attractive women.

Oh, GAS....
Buy the OCD first, it'll make you think differently about getting a new amp! It's like having a Fender and a Marshall in one amp+pedal.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Buy the OCD first, it'll make you think differently about getting a new amp! It's like having a Fender and a Marshall in one amp+pedal.

Stop it!
Fine

oops
Don't be afraid to care"

Bout the valveking , i was going for the opposite.
I wanted a nice driven tone so i dont have to use any additional pedals (except delay,wah and chorus) and dont realy care about the cleans.
Sorry but have to spurt!

Just bought a VC30 half an hour ago, now got to bloody await delivery.

I am old and crap, but thank god for windfall from moving house.