currently I have my fender hotrodded deville. Its a very nice amp, but when I bought it over a year ago I just did not know enough about amps and sad to say it but I jumped at the fender name.

Right now i have the amp at college tucked by my wall and my desk, and its just big and heavy. So after making some phone calls, I got an offer for 250$ at this used music store which sells and buys everything used, nothing new. This offer is also a lot higher then the guys at the guitar center offered me...

but anywayz, my styles of playing are mainly hard rock, metal, and the occasional blues. But this amp just doesnt really cut it with my playing styles. I have my metal muff on it which I use on the clean channel to get my that hard rock and metal sound but the tone of it just isnt right....

So what I really want is an amp that can handle metal and hard rock gain on its own without a pedal, a smaller amp, like a 1x12, and of course all tube. I also dont really have a lot of money so something under 500$ seems like it would suit me perfectly. And the only amp I found to match this criteria is a B-52. Although I guess saving up some money for a used JCM combo is a possibility, I just dont have any money and no job.

So i guess it comes down to me asking for yalls opinions. The b-52's seem like really nice amps made in the USA, with high gain, and all tube for that price range. And I never see any used so people must keep them. Anywayz i hope this wasnt to long, and I appreciate any opinions
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
They are assembled (not made) in the USA from Chinese components (chassis, circuit boards, speakers, tubes, etc.) In my opinion the B52 112 will not do metal without a pedal. For that you are looking at higher priced amps.
I suggest to try a B-52 out in a store. I tried one, I'm not really sure if it could handle metal, but I would think it could. I'm considering saving up for the AT-100 head.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
really? in yalls opinion do you think it can do hard rock on it own? For instance I dont know if anyone has heard the most recent AC/DC live album, but they use much more distortion then in their original soundtracks. Id be happy if it could do this level on its own, and then I could use my distortion pedal, or maybe look into an OD pedal to push it to metal
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I think it could do AC/DC ok, but at high volumes I would think it may need a speaker upgrade. I have owned two of them. They are slightly more than mid-range gain, as opposed to high gain.
what kind of speaker do you think would go well for a metal, hard rock sound
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
what kind of speaker do you think would go well for a metal, hard rock sound
B-52 AT 112
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Repost your question about speakers. I would be glad to help you but that's not an area I have knowledge in. Slats or EC or Dave_Mc may come along and advise. You could post in the Gear Building and Customizing thread. Good luck.