Hey Team, been playing a few months shy of two years now, but been teaching myself the whole go. Now, kindly refrain from Sh*tting on me here, but i've never brought myself around to learning scales and the theory behind the guitar, i just plop down, fire open GP5 open a song and go hard.

Anyways, what i've been doing is playing songs WAY over my skill level, but slowing them down tons and gradually speeding them up when i feel comfortable. Anyways, songs i've managed to 'stumble' through, or play in sections consist of Master of Puppets, Cliffs of Dover, Canon Rock, and Wishful thinking to list a few. But is this a decent way of improving or am i just setting myself up for a wicked fall when it comes crunch time?

Duerk.
you should definitly learn some scales try playing with some backing music of a song you dont know and you will realize how much you suk.....dont fret im in the same boat and i know some scales music is not an easy road if you want to get paid for it hence why they teach it in college but you have to be able to write your own songs to get to the next level....just my 2 cents good luck!
Last edited by stevecallahan at Sep 7, 2007,
if its working for you, its working. if you want to learn scales pickup a cheep lesson book and learn them that way. once you get everything in their down look into lessons, they really can help if only for the reason that youll be regularly playing with someone over your skill level.
^What he said. Also, you might wanna learn some music theory and how it adapts to the guitar, it will help you improve SO much. Arpeggios are a nice thing to learn, too.
i suggest you learn how to play the blues. you just need to know a little theory; such as the pentatonic, relative minor, and a few other things. you learn to solo also :thumbs up:

cyberfret.com is a great place to learn a lot.
Quote by blind nate
i suggest you learn how to play the blues. you just need to know a little theory; such as the pentatonic, relative minor, and a few other things. you learn to solo also :thumbs up:

cyberfret.com is a great place to learn a lot.

+1 great site taught me quite a bit for my short 2 months :P I reccomend it
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."