Poll: Did the change help your playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Did the change help your playing?
Yes
68 71%
No
6 6%
My playing is the same as before
22 23%
Voters: 96.
Page 1 of 2
Im still working on stopping myself anchoring cause it was making my pinky sore so Ive not noticed a difference yet but I assume my playing will improve eventually
@-}-}-}-
isnt anchoring a personal preference?

if not, i guess i anchor the side of my hand across the trem.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
i stopped, it helped. my accuracy is way better than it was when i was anchoring and my hand is tension free.
Yeah it helped - check out some of the old threads on it to hear me saying again and again it's all preference and it won't hold you back - I was wrong. It can and shall hold you back.
Definitely.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
call me athick twat if you want but what is guitar anchoring?
upon discussing Shay Laren..

Originally Posted by FloyDZeD
I googled her, and now I have a boner. Thanks a lot.

and horny things we done as youngsters, this one involving involving poo..

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
Isn't "no" and "my playing is the same as before" basically the same answer.
I still play anchored. Been trying to change, but I can't seem to do it. Any help guys? How did you guys stop playing anchored?
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
yeah i while ago stopped anchoring...when i pick alot constantly...this tension used to build up in my BICEP...it would hurt abit...so i stopped anchoring...helped quite abit..just had to get used to it,
I never anchored before...don't know why I would change...
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Yep.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
To be honest, I can't tell if it helped. I mean, sure I'm a better player now, but that could've been due to a number of reasons. Mainly because at the time I stopped anchoring I was analyzing my picking technique as a whole, and fixing lots of little small problems here and there.

Physics does go to prove that it does help though. And I usually trust laws of physics. =)
The person who said "No" lied.

EDIT Yes, it made a significant difference in my playing.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Last edited by Caressing Death at Sep 8, 2007,
Anchoring is when you rest your pinky on the guitar or your hand on the guitar ( some people think forearm counts, some don't ). What this does is create unnecessary tension as you are subconsciously pushing down against the guitar, therefore using more muscles than you need to. This can slow you down due to tension, can limit your movement since your hand has a "pivot point" and could also limit what type of sounds you're getting ( always picking near the bridge ).

How to stop anchoring is simply play the 1-2-3-4 exercise on each string, with every finger unanchored. You'll soon get more comfortable doing it and you'll naturally anchor your hand/pinky less and less.
i used to anchor the side of my palm against the bridge but it created to much tention, no just part of my pinky rests on my pickgaurd sometimes and no where , depeniding on what exactly im playing...buy that switch did help me
Yea it does help a lot... Do it!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
I think it's helped me, I started the switch about a month ago and it's helped my control. The speed is almost back up to where it was before too.
Quote by Stratwizard
I had to stop anchoring 'cause it wore off the gold color on my JEM's trem.

be happy you have a jem
ah, in that case i probably dont count, i rest my forearm on the edge of the head of my guitar
upon discussing Shay Laren..

Originally Posted by FloyDZeD
I googled her, and now I have a boner. Thanks a lot.

and horny things we done as youngsters, this one involving involving poo..

Quote by meh17
1 Toddler 1 Cup

epic
If you play unanchored and with your fingers in should you feel tension from keeping the fingers in?
I stopped anchoring and I found that I play more accurately. Also, string skipping has become easier for me without anchoring.
Ok, own up. Who're the noobs who voted "no" and "same"? I bet you didn't try not anchoring for more than a few minutes.

Anyway I've only been playing unanchored for a few days, and I'm already up to my anchored speed, and it's a lot cleaner, plus I have much less tension in my right hand.
hard to say for sure, and i wonder if a lot of other people don't fall into the same category: when i started unanchoring is when i started to take guitar more seriously and practice better in general, so it's difficult to attribute my improved playing to unanchoring.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I tried but didn't work for me. Maybe because i use my thumb and some wrist motion to pick, so anchoring or not, doesn't make too much difference.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i think some things are better picked anchored, while others are not, do both
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by Galvanise69
This may seem silly, but what do you guys mean by unanchored, as in none of your picking hand touching, resting, ect on the gutiar?

anchoring is basically applying your finger/s or side of your hand to your guitar in such a way as to hold your hand in place as a reference point for playing. oftentimes people do this because when they initially start picking and strumming, your hand gets resistance back when picking through the string. anchoring helps absorb and disperse that resistance and makes it more "comfortable" and "easier" to push through the string (i know thats why i started doing it) it also makes it easier initially to play without looking at the fret board (when you anchor your hand your "muscle memory" remembers all the strings location relative to where your hand is planted)

although initially it may seem good/natural/alright i personally believe its better to go slower and learn how to play unanchored (mainly cuz i've done both and i know which one feels better in the end)

Quote by El Cumanés
I tried but didn't work for me. Maybe because i use my thumb and some wrist motion to pick, so anchoring or not, doesn't make too much difference.

well if you're playing anchored give it about 5-8 more years, you'll definately notice it when your hands, elbows and shoulders start hurting because carpal tunnel starts to set in (i have a VERY mild form of carpal tunnel, due mainly i believe to playing at high speed for hours while anchoring)
Definitely helped me, though I'm not totally converted yet. Working on it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by z4twenny

well if you're playing anchored give it about 5-8 more years, you'll definately notice it when your hands, elbows and shoulders start hurting because carpal tunnel starts to set in (i have a VERY mild form of carpal tunnel, due mainly i believe to playing at high speed for hours while anchoring)

Well, i anchor my pinky on the pickguard but without putting pressure on it. And it doesn't stay there forever, only when i'm playing the higher strings. Another thing is that i'm not thinking to reach more than approximately 12nps.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Hi, my name's Adam and I anchor (feel like I'm in an AA meeting (anchorers anonymous ...sorry), but I've been trying to change (hallaluja!). I'm in college playin' the classical and almost my attention goes to it. So, when I do play the electric I really focus on my right hand technique (instead of mindlessly jackin' like a coked up monkey). So far I've seen no results, which is to be expected since, if I'm lucky, I only get to play it for 20 minutes a day.But I'm confident it will pay off in the end (it better anyway ). There was supposed to be a point to this post, but I don't remember what it was.
I quit anchoring 'cause my picking hand used to hurt a lot when I used to play anchored. I don't know what the others talk about the benefits of anchoring concerning speed, though. I just find that it makes my guitar playing a lot more comfortable, and my picking hand free to pick anywhere, so I can get a varied range of dynamics.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Page 1 of 2