G'day, I don't, play a bass myself but I've come seeking knowledge from those of you who do.

I help out with a band (I'd like to say manage, but right now I'm getting 10% of nothing) and I can't help but notice that the largest item I have to deal with is the bass cab, a rental 8X10 "fridge". Damn thing takes two or three of us to lift into a van, and takes up most of the available load space.

Now I don't mind moving the thing, but I'd like to know what the science is in making the whole stack in one piece, rather than dividing it into two quadboxes like a guitar stack, which would go into my van so much easier. Is their an accoustic reason why all 8 speakers need to be in one unit?

Not that I'm complaining mind, I'd just like to know that the PITA design pays off in fatter bass.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
It's mostly because an 8x10 is much cheaper than two 4x10s
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
i agree with you but it is alot more expensive for seperate cabs
Epiphone Custom Shop Thunderbird IV-->Cry Baby 105Q bass wah-->MXR blowtorch bass distortion-->Ampeg B2R Head and 2x12 cab
it's not that it's cheaper, but that is a good side effect.

in a 8x10 box, you have a lot more air inside for those speakers to work. you get a thicker, bassier sound with smaller speakers. if you do a 4x10, those 10's sound tinnier, thinner, and weaker, because they don't have enough air to work with. they're both good options for the right situations, but an 8x10 is going to have more resonance and a deeper, bassier sound.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
^ Yeah that makes sense Doug, hopefully the improved bass response will be worth the strain on the crew (ok just me we can't afford a crew).

I got a much nicer gig tonight, no heavy lifting of anything. I was supposed to be doing loadout for the Screaming Jets tonight, which two of my housemates got paid some extra cash for. They tour with about three tonnes of gear, and it all had to be carried up and down a couple of flights of stairs. Anyway the manager decided they didn't need an extra person after all, so I got cut loose.

Anyway, I went for a beer elsewhere and ran into another friend of mine whose band I'd said I was going to do some photos for a couple of weeks ago and he was like "we're playing tonight, where's your camera bitch?". I rushed home and got my gear together, made it to the gig with time to film the previous band as well.

All in all I ended up with photos from three bands sets, and the organizer is going to love me when I hand him a bunch of nice live pics. Good thing too cos he's the manager of a radio station up here and I may need a few favours

Ah, an evening spent with a Nikon in hand, and I didn't have to pack up anything except my camera and lenses afterwards. Paul and Todd came home at like three in the morning absolutely exhausted after loading up a truckload of PA gear.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
A single 810 cab has a much narrower frequency response than separate 410's (this is very bad) and 810's tend not to have tweeters, which 410's do.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
with bass, mass is important. screw a bunch of frequency response numbers! the mass gives you a kick in the chest. i keep my high freq. horn at -6, or off, most of the time. for me it just adds fretboard noise. bass frequencies need heavy cabs to resonate the lows. the pros that use 8x10's do it for a reason. Heavy Duty Bass!!
thefiz is wrong, sorry to say, the 810 has wider frequency response and (atleast GK) has tweeters in both
Quote by treebranch13
thefiz is wrong, sorry to say, the 810 has wider frequency response and (atleast GK) has tweeters in both

Ampeg, arguably the name in bass amplification, has it just like I said it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I tend to think 8x10 massages the bass player's ego. Most situations do not call for an 8x10. And there are other solutions for situations where they may be needed.

I'd much prefer a 2x 4x10 solution. Give the roadies a chance.

Besides, most of the sound should in practise be pushed by the PA, not backline (which should be used purely for band monitoring). Eliminates hotspots in the venue.
^Agreed. Unless you have an amplifier that pumps out the 800-1000W at 4 ohms the 810 can support, they're really redundant.

And as big as an ego boost as it is, it still looks like a wee baby beside 2 412's like guitar Gods use.
Quote by Cody_Grey102