4 24%
BBE granda booste
5 29%
EHX LBP-1
7 41%
EHX lpb 2ube ??
1 6%
Voters: 17.
i'm having trouble to decide on a clean boost.
true bypass is a big plus...
and i'd like it if it doesn't add any colour aswell.

thanks
A clean boost shouldn't colour your tone, it should add 'clear gain', to add more volume for solos, etc. I think BBE make a decent one, don't quote me on that though

EDIT : The poll came after I posted. I vote BBE.
All those pedals will colour your tone. I do like the the LPB-1 though, because it makes the sound a bit fatter (boosts the bass and attenuates the highs a little bit). And it's really cheap.

The most transparent boost I've ever heard is the Zvex Super Hard On, and even that isn't completely transparent.
Micro Amp. sparkle clean, but gives a big boost. no problem of tone-sucking and more like a mid/bass boost like the LPBs either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mr_hankey
All those pedals will colour your tone. I do like the the LPB-1 though, because it makes the sound a bit fatter (boosts the bass and attenuates the highs a little bit). And it's really cheap.

The most transparent boost I've ever heard is the Zvex Super Hard On, and even that isn't completely transparent.

really ? they all claim not to
but i think the lpb1 isn't true bypass...
so tone sucking...
could i mod it to true bypass easily ?
^ Depends on whether the switch is pcb mounted or not, which I really don't know. Either way, it can be done, but it will be whole lot harder if you have to start cutting up the pcb.
Fulltone fat boost

true bypass, amazing pedal......plus its fulltone so thats that.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
^Unlike the other pedals, that one's not even meant to be transparent. You might like the way it colours your tone, though.
Quote by The red Strat.
really ? they all claim not to
but i think the lpb1 isn't true bypass...
so tone sucking...
could i mod it to true bypass easily ?

I wouldn't be surprised if it does have TB (not tuberculosis ), seeing as EHX makes their own 3PDTs.
^yea. but it might be lpb2 that has TB. lpb1 is that nano thing right? those enclosures are small... i won't be suprised if they had the taiwanese x-wing dpdts lol
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by cokeisbetter
I wouldn't be surprised if it does have TB (not tuberculosis ), seeing as EHX makes their own 3PDTs.

are you sure ? it's about 30 bucks, for that price it won't have TB ...
they probably make their 3PDT's for the more expensive pedals.

Quote by Whole Lotta Led
The EHX LPB-1 is indeed true bypass, I own one. I bought one before I learned to build pedals

musiciansfriend and such don't mension anything about TB so are you absolutely sure ??

Quote by mr_hankey
^Unlike the other pedals, that one's not even meant to be transparent. You might like the way it colours your tone, though.

ah ok, could you tell me how it colours the tone then ? for example, 'it makes the amp sound more like a vox, it sound a bit british' or something.
but if it isn't transparent, then is the purpose of that pedal to be a clean boost
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 8, 2007,
^whole lotta led can count to 9. 9 lugs on the switch means ture bypass.

and 3PDTs are $4 each. for them, they manufacture it, so should be less than $1.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^whole lotta led can count to 9. 9 lugs on the switch means ture bypass.

and 3PDTs are $4 each. for them, they manufacture it, so should be less than $1.

really ? then how come only most of the more expensive pedals have 3PDT's ?? like fulltone,... ??
^most of EHX come with 3PDTs too.

btw, fyi, EHX make their own 3PDTs, so do Fulltone. other companies don't, so they have to stick with DPDT, or even cheaper SPDTs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^most of EHX come with 3PDTs too.

btw, fyi, EHX make their own 3PDTs, so do Fulltone. other companies don't, so they have to stick with DPDT, or even cheaper SPDTs.

oh yeah that explains. but it's strange that it's never mensioned on the specifications on the sites that sell the pedal...
^dunno. but u have it confirmed though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^dunno. but u have it confirmed though.

yeahb but just to be sure my last question, does the lpb-1 have a 3PDT bypass, or another type of true bypass ?
(i'm definitely no expert on bypasses)
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 8, 2007,
The sort of switch used with true bypass doesn't really matter all that much, just as long as it is indeed true bypass. A Millenium Bypass (fairly clever way of true bypassing with an LED using a DPDT switch) or a DPDT without LED bypass will sound the same.
Are the jacks and the switch pcb-mounted? Are the components smd or not?
^ Just going by how EHX has done things in other pedals, I'd say PC mount jacks, switch, and pot, but regular-size components.