Page 1 of 2
WTF ?? No replies at all, lmao..

I love these guys, I saw them live, they owned so hard.. I own every album they have released, episode is EPIC....
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
I like Elements Pt. 1. "Find Your Own Voice" has such cool bass lines.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
I'm a big power-metalhead and I have yet to check out Stratovarius. What's a good album to start out with?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Destiny was always my favorite. Can't beat Anthem of the World... so epic!
The first metal band I heard, and saw them live 3 times.

I don't think Elements pt.I and pt.II good enough, like other albums:
- Visions
- Infinite (great keyboard lines)
- Destiny
If you're just starting out with the band, get Episode first. If you still like them, get Visions. By this point they had turned into just a regular power metal band, so you can't go too wrong with any albums released after '96. They're all 'safe'.

BUT!, if you discover that you really like them, be daring and get Dreamspace – it's their best ever. Has Tolkki on vox, and sounds more prog metal than straight-ahead power. Very dark, too. The title track could send shivers down your spine!

I own all 12 of their studio CDs. Been a huge fan for four years now. Easily one of my Top 5 bands of all time. Still yet to see them live, though.
I only have Visions - I got it because I loved Black Diamond so much - but I never really got around to listening to the rest.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by DaFjory
If you're just starting out with the band, get Episode first. If you still like them, get Visions. By this point they had turned into just a regular power metal band, so you can't go too wrong with any albums released after '96. They're all 'safe'.

BUT!, if you discover that you really like them, be daring and get Dreamspace – it's their best ever. Has Tolkki on vox, and sounds more prog metal than straight-ahead power. Very dark, too. The title track could send shivers down your spine!

I own all 12 of their studio CDs. Been a huge fan for four years now. Easily one of my Top 5 bands of all time. Still yet to see them live, though.

Thanks for the rec. I'll go look for Episode.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Saw them live last summer at Tuska Festival

they're pretty good band and got some killer tunes but at least in Finland, overrated
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Tolkki = Priceless..there are very few that can replace him.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Can anyone tell me what album their cover of Greensleeves is off of? I have the song, but for the life of me I cannot find out what album it is from. It's driving me crazy.
"Ultimate"-Guitar is the worst website on the internet. Polluted with unintelligent mongoloids.
Good band.

Not one I've been seriously into for awhile, though. Personally into the folkier side of Power Metal .
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
The first song I ever heard by them was Hunting High and Low. After that I started to listen some of their other stuff. Damn good band.
Quote by Minkaro
So it's going to be Stratovarius without Tolkki?

Well, I'm interested in who (if anyone) they get as a replacement guitarist, but I think having Jens will be a great start.

I believe his name is Matias Kupianen or something..
When all hope is lost, crawl into a corner and die.
Quote by darkstar2466
I'm a big power-metalhead and I have yet to check out Stratovarius. What's a good album to start out with?

thats like saying you like thrash and don't listen to Testament!

nah all good. Visions is ok.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
The new album is bloody fantastic. A really solid return to form IMO, after a disappointing decade (Infinity being a '90s album, since 2000 wasn't part of the new millenium ).

So what does everyone think? It seems as though all the guys have some fresh, new ideas to contribute and it shows in the music - perhaps Tolkki's dictatorship was rightly ended. I don't like the Revolution Renaissance stuff much, anyway. Strato wins.
Quote by Night_Lights

Whats wrong with that?
Oh, I forgot about the new album.

I should probably head down and get it just now, I'm seeing them live on Sunday.

EDIT:
Just listened to Polaris, and it is fantastic.

It looks like Tolkki's departure is just what the band needed.
Last edited by buckethead_jr at May 15, 2009,
Quote by buckethead_jr
Oh, I forgot about the new album.

I should probably head down and get it just now, I'm seeing them live on Sunday.

EDIT:
Just listened to Polaris, and it is fantastic.

It looks like Tolkki's departure is just what the band needed.

Yass another for the Glasgow gig. I won a competition on the official forums, and I get to meet the band after the show.

And yes I agree, Stratovarius with Tolkki just wasn't working anymore (self-titled anyone?).
My Last.FM

"The more you think, the better you're going to play. That should be a quote somewhere."
- Marty Friedman
Quote by COBGage
Yass another for the Glasgow gig. I won a competition on the official forums, and I get to meet the band after the show.

Lucky you!

I met Gus G the last time Firewind played, so hopefully the Strato guys will be out there as well this time.

But you'll help us back there right? >__>
Getting rid of Tolkki was exactly what Stratovarius needed. Polaris is the best thing they've done since Visions (I don't think Destiny is as good as people say, but it's definitely not better than Visions). It's amazing.
I think it's the best thing they've done since Infinite. I wasn't a huge fan of Elements 1 & 2 like some were (so-called 'favourites' like Eagleheart and Find Your Own Song bored the hell out of me), and self-titled was obviously quite crap without any double-kick and whatnot.

Polaris is just REFRESHING! It sounds like they're all breathing again, instead of tiredly plodding along.
Quote by Night_Lights

Or like saying you like traditional metal but not Saxon.
Quote by Sabbath89
Can anyone tell me what album their cover of Greensleeves is off of? I have the song, but for the life of me I cannot find out what album it is from. It's driving me crazy.

A bit late, but it's not a Stratovarius album at all. It's from Tolkki's first solo album, Classical Variations And Themes.

Ah well, a year later you've probably found that out by now anyway. Besides, the thread needed a bump. Polaris is just fuckin wicked.
Kotipelto (sp?) is a great singer - one of my favourite vocalists, alongside Michael Kiske and Geoff Tate. Granted, they both have far wider ranges than Kotipleto, but he's still great .

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Page 1 of 2