I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
How much money do you have and what's your amp and current guitar?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I would get an G-400, I've played it and lived it.

I'm not a fan of the faded.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
Quote by hamish5178
How much money do you have and what's your amp and current guitar?

+1

I'm inclined to say neither
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Gibson SG faded, it's an awesome guitar for the price and the neck feels smooth as silk because of the finish.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by FacingUsAll
+1

I'm inclined to say neither

I got an AD50VT and I have a Fender Strat and a Les Paul 100.

EDIT: I got a max of 650 dollars.
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Right, thank you.

Do you really need a new guitar? It's going to be very similar to your Les Paul.

Still, I recommend the Epi.
Last edited by CanCan at Sep 7, 2007,
U could a) buy the Epi and switch the pickups or b) Buy the Gibson. I would buy the Gibson, an American made guitar for $580 is an awesome deal, especially the sound those pickups have.
What music do you play?

I'd take a look at the Michael Kelly guitars in that price range; they beat the pants off of any Epis and lower end Gibsons that I've played.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get the gibson. with gear like that, you'd be buying new guita which is not as good as those you already own. That said, the epiphone isn't a really bad choice either. But it depends. If you have to scrape pennies and beg for the gibson, just go with the Epiphone.
Well your amp is pretty good, after this guitar I'd recommend saving up around 1000 USD and getting a tube amp.

Alright, well listen to this. I am a die-hard Gibson SG fan, and I think the faded is a great guitar.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, order one online, make sure you play it first, many of them have bad fret-work, but many are great, just find a good one.

If you can find a used one on ebay or locally with the crescent moon fretboard markers get that, they are nicer than the current ones.

Yes the Faded has a cheaper finish than the standard, but it's still better than the plastic crap on the G-400, and the pickups, wiring and wood are all much better as well.

I used to hate on the Fadeds as well, and endorse the G-400 but after playing several of both of them some more I realised something, which is that even if the Faded is a cheap Gibson, it is still a Gibson, and it has a Gibson soul that you can feel when you play it, compared to the faded the G-400 feels a like a very neck heavy toy.

PM if you want more info.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by FacingUsAll
What music do you play?

I'd take a look at the Michael Kelly guitars in that price range; they beat the pants off of any Epis and lower end Gibsons that I've played.

Um... I like a thick sound of a guitar when you play a power chord and variety of bassy neck pickup sounding soloing (e.g. Slash) and treble modern solo with the bridgey....

As another guy said before, I could change the pickups on the Epi.

Yet THe problem i see is the weird feeling neck of the Epi, unlike the GIbson where it is smooth.

EDIT: What do you say of replacing the bridge pickup of the GIbson with a 498t? Is the 498t much different from the 490t?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Last edited by Prodigy999 at Sep 7, 2007,
The 498T is slightly more wound (power) to compensate for the fact that the strings at the bridge are a little farther away from the pickup than they are from the neck pickup (490R) and the strings don't tend to vibrate as strongly at the bridge. It's basically to balance the output. Gibson used to put this combination on the SG Standards (490R and 498T) but it seems lately they have gone to 490's in both positions. I'm not sure how much audible difference it makes, especially if you have a low action and keep the pickups high.
Quote by uldhppi
The 498T is slightly more wound (power) to compensate for the fact that the strings at the bridge are a little farther away from the pickup than they are from the neck pickup (490R) and the strings don't tend to vibrate as strongly at the bridge. It's basically to balance the output. Gibson used to put this combination on the SG Standards (490R and 498T) but it seems lately they have gone to 490's in both positions. I'm not sure how much audible difference it makes, especially if you have a low action and keep the pickups high.

No, the Standards still have 490 and 498, it's the faded specials that have two 490s.

You can compensate some for the lower power bridge pickup by raising it some, but anyway TS, you probably won't need new pickups, it's really quite the fad around to here I understand, but a stock SG Faded is a great guitar.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178
No, the Standards still have 490 and 498, it's the faded specials that have two 490s.

You can compensate some for the lower power bridge pickup by raising it some, but anyway TS, you probably won't need new pickups, it's really quite the fad around to here I understand, but a stock SG Faded is a great guitar.

Yeah, if you get lucky. Standard Gibsons have bad enough quality control nowadays. The quality control on the Specials are horrible. You might have to look for ages to find a nice one.

And, the Faded SGs are hideous, IMO.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Hamish you're right. They still come with the 498T. I probably was looking at the Faded's.
Quote by deluxity
the gibson, it's just the same thing, but with better quality

sure do, the faded sucks ass dude. get the epi
the faded is a really good guitar, it just has really shifty quallity control... make sure you throughly examine it if you get it.