Page 1 of 2
now i'm sure most of u have seen this or even done this. When playing the guitar infront of people who dont play any instrument get amazed! i mean u can play 1-2-3-4 on all six stings, they'll be impressed. Why do u think so? is it cause they've seen so much Crap MTV, they think any1 who plays guitar is a really really good! ? any1 care to discuss their stories or anything
LOL
I think basic double-handed tapping impresses 'em the most.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I think they just don't understand what it really takes to do awesome stuff so anything will impress them
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Yeah, although I do love the ego-boost it gives me. But whenever you find someone miles better then you, it just drains your confidence, at least for me it does.
its because its a skill and it takes dedication they admire that dedication

not really people just think its cool
Quote by Spay
Yeah, although I do love the ego-boost it gives me. But whenever you find someone miles better then you, it just drains your confidence, at least for me it does.

+1
Quote by ShaunFrusciante
bignuts20 the name says it all

Quote by SailorJeff
You can sig me all you want but I still have a small penis.

R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
It irritates me how you can do the simple things on guitar and people think you're really good, but try something technical and they think it's bad.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
It's the same with anyone who isn't experienced with the subject at hand. If you didn't play guitar and knew next to nothing about it, you'd be impressed by it. Just like most people who know nothing about skating or biking, find someone amazing who does the most simple stuff.
Quote by Spay

You shouldn't be like that. Learn from them. Don't be jealous. And, if you're gonna be jealous, at least use that jealousy to drive yourself to become better. In most cases, they will have worked a lot harder and a lot longer than you have to get where they are.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by the agony scene
its because its a skill and it takes dedication they admire that dedication

not really people just think its cool

If only it was true.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Don't knock the chromatic scale! It can be used very effectively indeed.

But yeah TS I see what you are getting at.
You could say they are the best people to judge. Guitarists always have bias over over guitar players.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
You shouldn't be like that. Learn from them. Don't be jealous. And, if you're gonna be jealous, at least use that jealousy to drive yourself to become better. In most cases, they will have worked a lot harder and a lot longer than you have to get where they are.

Actually, that's how it worked for me. My band leader...is a dick...but he put me as lead guitar for the band when I only had 5 months of serious experience with the guitar. So basically, I had to either learn how to be that good soon, or I'd be replaced. Safe to say, his crack of the whip technique made me a better player...but I still think he's an asshole.

Anyways, it's my guitar teacher that really gets me. I'll be practicing at school and some kids will think I'm really good and crap, but then I go to lessons and I'm like "Oh ****..." because there's that much I haven't learned yet. But I know I'll be that good in time, after all, there's a 20 year difference in experience
Quote by Jackolas
Don't knock the chromatic scale! It can be used very effectively indeed.

But yeah TS I see what you are getting at.

nah i mean straight using it, no improvising off of it, ive seen people do that so many times.
LOL
Quote by monkeyboyjr
It irritates me how you can do the simple things on guitar and people think you're really good, but try something technical and they think it's bad.

QFT

It seems that when you become a musician, your range increases.
But as a non musician your sort of narrowed, if it's simple they like it, but the technical stuff, they don't understand as well.
I can listen to a nice long instrumental and enjoy it, but the average listener would probably want something simple and nice to listen to. This obviously doesn't pretain to everyone, just form one or two things I notice...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by zeppelinpage4
QFT

It seems that when you become a musician, your range increases to great stuff. But as a non musician your sort of narrowed, if it's simple they like it, but the technical stuff, they don't understand as well.
I can listen to a nice long instrumental and enjoy it, but the average listener would probably want something simple and nice to listen to.

Also, when you try to play more complicated things, you have more of a tendency to screw up while playing it. And your listener most likely doesn't understand the difficulty associated with that riff, they're just listening to see if it sounds good.
Quote by monkeyboyjr

maybe you're just not doing it right If it doesn't sound any good, mean?
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Last edited by Velvet_Craig at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by SiKh22
what happen to +5 !????????

I was doing the math on it all...we skip 5 dammit!

+1+2+3+4+6=16
Quote by Spay

Nope. I'm only 16, got ages to figure stuff out. Yep, there are tons of better guitar players. I don't care, because I find as a rule, guitarists (apart from the lol-posers) are pretty cool about sharing tips to improve people who aren't at their level. I know I'm pretty nice irl if some guy asks 'how are you doing that?'. I show them.

It's about improving your own playing.

Wow, that was a long speech for me.
It's because non musicians don't understand what is hard and what isn't.
For example, tapping = god; power chord = god; sweeping = ghey; fast runs in the harmonic minor scale all the neck through at 16th notes in a 180 tempo = dog...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Spay

Not for me. I just copy what they do, because they must be doing something right
Quote by zeppelinpage4
QFT

It seems that when you become a musician, your range increases.
But as a non musician your sort of narrowed, if it's simple they like it, but the technical stuff, they don't understand as well.
I can listen to a nice long instrumental and enjoy it, but the average listener would probably want something simple and nice to listen to. This obviously doesn't pretain to everyone, just form one or two things I notice...

i agree with you 100%

but also, alot of GUITARISTS especially on this forum, cant appreciate classical music, or instrumental music, or jazz, or blues or that stuff.
hell i reckon people thinkin ure cools half the reason people get into guitar...
a walking talking advertisement for population control
Its because guitarists will usually judge skill, and the average joe will just judge what he hears, and see if he likes it.

Thats why I appreciate the opinion of non musicians on my songs just as much as I appreciate the one of musicians.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by original=punk
i agree with you 100%

but also, alot of GUITARISTS especially on this forum, cant appreciate classical music, or instrumental music, or jazz, or blues or that stuff.

Hey man, I'm in jazz band for bass and I love it. My band teacher is actually nice to me now.

Here's an actual thing that happened.

At school I was playing enter sandman (yes I like everything, from metal to jazz to hip-hop to 90s) and these came up to me and said "wow man, play that riff again". I play the riff again and go through the song. I play the solo, which was probably one of my better ones with some nice tapping and speed runs, and finish the song. When it was over, they were like "wow man, its so cool you can play that riff. that is so cool." Didn't even bring up the solo whatsoever.

LAME!!!
Quote by fly fly fly
Hey man, I'm in jazz band for bass and I love it. My band teacher is actually nice to me now.

Here's an actual thing that happened.

At school I was playing enter sandman (yes I like everything, from metal to jazz to hip-hop to 90s) and these came up to me and said "wow man, play that riff again". I play the riff again and go through the song. I play the solo, which was probably one of my better ones with some nice tapping and speed runs, and finish the song. When it was over, they were like "wow man, its so cool you can play that riff. that is so cool." Didn't even bring up the solo whatsoever.

LAME!!!

i said alot, didnt mean you. i personally, love punk rock, like its one of my favorite genres. but i freaking love jazz to death, its mind blowing the musicianship, and the sound, man! the sound!! its just so freaking cool.
i hate how i play cool metal riffs and girls will be like play that smoke on the water one and im like -_- another time i played the intro to stairway on an acoustic in class and this girl was like WOW UR A GENIUS U MADE THAT ITS SO AWESOME and i was like -_-? and had to explain to her
ive found although people will be impressed by simple ****, most people can appreciate speed and theyll go "whoa your so fast". But it has to sound good. As I play the sort of standard hair metal hard rock style of lead guitar people like how it sounds and can then appreciate the speed aswell. Most classical sounding stuff is not as well liked.

And with chicks open chords go down well lol
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i hate how i play cool metal riffs and girls will be like play that smoke on the water one and im like -_- another time i played the intro to stairway on an acoustic in class and this girl was like WOW UR A GENIUS U MADE THAT ITS SO AWESOME and i was like -_-? and had to explain to her

It's called pulling. Capitalize.
oh and id like to add, if you get annoyed about being complemented on your playing (especially by chicks), just because its not hard stuff your playing, then theres something wrong with you. Seriously playing Guitar=Chicks (most of the time). If that means you have to interrupt your fret wanking then do it, or youll end up being stuck with wanking forever!
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Haha it's so funny when people say something like "yo d00d play some nirvana!" and then they're like z0mg you're so good! xD
Quote by monkeyboyjr

Quote by Spay

+1.

Ah well. Sometimes, technical stuff doesn't necessarily sound pleasant, and that's where just some Joe Shmoe comes in handy.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
yeah its a great feeling when you can just do random tapping thats like totally not in key and there just all like O_O zomg... then a better guitarist comes up and your like **** =/
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Page 1 of 2