I've found these two amps in my price range:

EB 12-180 Combo

and

EB 15-180 Combo

the only thing is that except for the dimensions, the size of the speaker and the visuals the specs are the same yet the EB 15-180 is around £40 more than the other, does anyone know why this is?
Because a 15" speaker on it's own tends to be more audiable, and push more bass frequencies out, than a 12" speaker on it's own. In my experience, of course. 2x12 cabinets seem very popular, but in single speaker combo's, most people tend to agree that 1x15 is the way to go. Simply pushes more air.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 7, 2007,
No worries. Just saying what I know.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by theWallofYAWN
what about a 1x12 with a tweeter vs a 1x15 with no tweeter

Wouldn't make a vast difference to me. It's still a 1x12. A 1x15 will still push more air. It's the same logic that makes cabs with several speakers often sound louder than single speaker cabs.

While I've softened to 2x12's and above and can see their use... I'd still favour a 1x15 over a 1x12, tweeter or no. And most 1x15's come with tweeters nowadays anyhow. On the level of combo's that provide 1x15, 1x12 or 2x10, I'd go for 1x15 or 2x10 depending on the sound you want.
Last edited by Caustic at Sep 8, 2007,
I've gigged and practiced with that 1x15 EB combo and it is a fantastic amp. I've tried the 12" one since and it just wasn't as good, in my opinion when buying cheaper combos 12" speakers are sort of like "nothing" speakers, they're a bit of a compromise between a 15" and a 10", they're ok at everything but don't excel in any particular area. When you get to higher end gear 12" speakers can be great and offer you fantastic sounds but in lower end combos definitely go for a 1x15 or a 2x10.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
What about 4x10s? Could they handle being gigged with a 5 string?
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Perfectly well. The science behind speakers is bloody confusing to me to say the least, but a 4x10 cab will have plenty of low end response to handle a low B string. Someone more well educated than me will have to explain why, but rest assured if x by 10 speakers couldn't handle low end, nobody would play them.
i was asking about the comparison of 1x12 with tweeter and 1x15 without tweeter because thats what i was deciding between. i just wasnt sure how the 1x15 would sound, if it would only be solid for low end sound or all-around variety. i figured the 1x12 SWR would be really good all around with its features plus the reviews and things ive heard make it seem very good. but the ashdown has the 15" speaker (without tweeter) and is a little bit cheaper. i dont know if ill get a chance to play them both before buying .. i told the guy to order the SWR but i could probably back out on that when it comes in (he said its a hot piece selling like crazy over there) and tell him to order the ashdown, but i dont think hed be happy if i backed out of the ashdown when it came in and decided to go back with the SWR.
I'd honestly advise trying both if possible. You would get plenty of high end out of the 1x15, though. I find on my 1x15 combo, I virtually never use the tweeter horn because I get much more pleasant highs out of EQing. I couldn't ever imagine needing one on anything smaller than a 15" speaker, and have no idea why they fit them to 2x10 and 4x10's.
either way that Is a Fantastic amp. I'd try to get your hands on a new model oh. The 07 ones have a compressor too.

Actually nvm. It seems they decided not to do so and went back to the models without the compressors.
Unless you'r in a band with FOH and 15+horn monitors you need the 15", the 12" version is inadequate for real live gigging.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
4, 6, and 8x10"s work the way they do because they're fitted to a soundboard. It's not merely a sheet of 15-ply, it's a part of the whole. Remember, the cab's a big soundbox, much like accoustic instruments; and it's why some people swear by open-backed, and some by closed-backed cabs. Most bass cabs are closed-back, so that the internal resonations and sound pressure level (spl) make the soundboard move!
Personally tho', it's gotta be the 15". It just feels better!

BTW, Mr Swift; was that your pic in this month's Guitar + Bass mag? If so, kudos! Like the matching suits!
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Sep 18, 2007,
Quote by creepingjesus73
4, 6, and 8x10"s work the way they do because they're fitted to a soundboard. It's not merely a sheet of 15-ply, it's a part of the whole. Remember, the cab's a big soundbox, much like accoustic instruments; and it's why some people swear by open-backed, and some by closed-backed cabs. Most bass cabs are closed-back, so that the internal resonations and sound pressure level (spl) make the soundboard move!
Personally tho', it's gotta be the 15". It just feels better!

BTW, Mr Swift; was that your pic in this month's Guitar + Bass mag? If so, kudos! Like the matching suits!

Which month is it in? please tell me, I only sent it in out of curiosity to see if they would print it.
Thanks in anticipation John S
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by creepingjesus73
The pic of the Locarno in 64 I assume? It's in this months one (it has "100 greatest moments in Guitar History" on the cover). November's issue - vol18, no10.

That's the one, I was playing my Burns 6 string Bass through a Vox AC30, the lead guitar is a Gretsch Double Anniversary, believe it or not we're all meeting up at my home this weekend as it is possibly the last time we will be able to get together as I'm moving abroad soon and the Drummer is very ill.

Many thanks John S
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
That's the one, I was playing my Burns 6 string Bass through a Vox AC30, the lead guitar is a Gretsch Double Anniversary, believe it or not we're all meeting up at my home this weekend as it is possibly the last time we will be able to get together as I'm moving abroad soon and the Drummer is very ill.

Many thanks John S

Woah, thats great.

Hope you have a good time and stuff, if you need anyone to take some of those basses off your hands, i'd be ore than happy to help :P

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by John Swift

Many thanks John S

John, you have to have some of the best life stories of anyone I know. As I have said before, you should write a book.

So you're moving on to a new local?--Stateside perhaps--nudge, nudge ?(she asks hopefully....).
Quote by anarkee
John, you have to have some of the best life stories of anyone I know. As I have said before, you should write a book.

So you're moving on to a new local?--Stateside perhaps--nudge, nudge ?(she asks hopefully....).

Hi anarkee this is the shot of me and Russ Dennet at the jam session on Tuesday, I'm using the Burns 6 string Bass
Attachments:
Image4.jpg
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Hi anarkee this is the shot of me and Russ Dennet at the jam session on Tuesday, I'm using the Burns 6 string Bass

Thanks John! And best wishes on all of your upcoming life adventures!