Poll: Alright, so we're basically down to three. So, choose the one you think is best.
Poll Options
View poll results: Alright, so we're basically down to three. So, choose the one you think is best.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
7 28%
Peavey Valveking 112
9 36%
Laney VC30 - 212
14 56%
Voters: 25.
I'm looking for a new amp and want to get a good quality 30-50 watt Marshall amp. I was originally considering an MG30 but a lot of people don't like it. So, any suggestions?
^ because he either likes the marshall tone or else he thinks marshall is the best because big names use it?

in the pricerange of the MG30 just forget about marshall. Vox AD15VT has a marshall model that out marshalls the MG and AVT series so take a look at that.

doy o uwant an amp for metal or for lower gain genres?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Any reason in particular you want to get a Marshall? If you're looking for 30-50 watts solid state then I'm not sure there are any good Marshall amps in that category. What's your budget and what styles of music do you play?
Good quality Marshall?

early 80's JCM800 or 1967-1968 Plexi.

Really the MG is horrible. What do you play? Get a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix instead.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Good quality Marshall?

early 80's JCM800 or 1967-1968 Plexi.

Really the MG is horrible. What do you play? Get a Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix instead.

+1
Doesn't need to be a Marshall, I suppose. Far as what I play goes, anything from Blues to Metal. I'm looking at getting a Line 6 POD XT Live, so I'm not worried about effects. A nice gain would be good, though. Budget: around 500-600 Australian dollars (roughly 413 - 495.50 US or 204 - 244 Pounds) Looking for a single amp, not a stack. Maybe a nice valve amp.
a multi effects will ruin a tube amps tone. get a blues junior, then an od pedal, and down the line whatever else you feel you need
Quote by s.r.v.
a multi effects will ruin a tube amps tone. get a blues junior, then an od pedal, and down the line whatever else you feel you need

not if he uses just the effects and not the amp models
^^^
He's right. Perfect really. Tube amps are best 99% of the time. Multi effects generally are shoddy and not worth it.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
Nah, gotta get the POD. I use a Variax and it's designed to be utilized through a POD XT Live.
Quote by s.r.v.

Well... Use the amps Distortion and run the Effects through a loop. Easiest way I can think of.
Marshall make awesome boxes of valve driven awesomeness, JCM2000 series aside, anything valve driven by Marshall will make you like 11 times more awesome than you would have been otherwise.

However they can't make a decent solid state, and quite frankly can't be assed trying, they just stick their name on horrible Park amps and rip off kids who want to sound like Slash, but don't quite understand how to get that sound yet.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Marshall make awesome boxes of valve driven awesomeness, JCM2000 series aside, anything valve driven by Marshall will make you like 11 times more awesome than you would have been otherwise.

However they can't make a decent solid state, and quite frankly can't be assed trying, they just stick their name on horrible Park amps and rip off kids who want to sound like Slash, but don't quite understand how to get that sound yet.

So what would you suggest then?
Alright, here's 3 that's caught my eye:

AVT50X - Marshall

Hot Rod Deluxe - Fender

FM65R - Fender
Quote by kdownes

AVT50X - Marshall

Hot Rod Deluxe - Fender

FM65R - Fender

My mate got a Fender Frontman 100w 2x12 for $600 new.
Quote by kdownes

AVT50X - Marshall

Hot Rod Deluxe - Fender

FM65R - Fender

AVT is just a slightly better MG.

Hot Rod is a good amp, but will not get as much gain as you want by itself, it's a pretty mellow amp

FMs are almost as bad as an MG.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So the Hot Rod would be the best out of the three? I've already got effects and distortion and gain so I'm more worried about quality of amp rather than effects.
Quote by kdownes
So the Hot Rod would be the best out of the three? I've already got effects and distortion and gain so I'm more worried about quality of amp rather than effects.

I'm not quite sure you'd like it if you play Metal a lot. It's not really voiced for it, the Hot Rod is more of a clean/blues amp at best.

If I were you, I'd go with the Peaveys others suggested (Classic 30, Windsor or Valveking). Not sure if you guys get Laney fairly cheap there, but you might also want to look into those if they're not too high.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
id go for the hotrod deluxe but i dnt think ull get one for 600 aussie bucks. we get ripped off over here but if u can definately go with that
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
As far as Metal goes, I don't play it that much, but my pedal has a hell of a lot of pre-amp. As for getting in that price range, meh. The guys up here are great and I'm sure I could probably get it close. So, the Hot Rods got the votes? Toss up between the Peavey on E-bay (not if it goes above 700 though) and the Hot Rod. Unless someone else has a suggestion? This thread will shut down in a week or so.
get a new guitar, and a used Peavey 5150. that's my suggestion.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
If I had enough money to buy a new guitar, I'd get a f*cking stack, not a 30-50 watt amp. As for Laney, I'm not sure if we even get them down here.
Quote by kdownes
If I had enough money to buy a new guitar, I'd get a f*cking stack, not a 30-50 watt amp. As for Laney, I'm not sure if we even get them down here.

Stacks are pretty much pointless, expecially since it'd probably be solid state, in which case, that 30-50 watt tube combo amp will completely destroy it.

Yeah, you could go for the 5150 as well, but if you need really good cleans, I wouldn't suggest it. I'd go for a Classic 30 if I were you.

And for you Laney question, I'd look into the VC-30 probably, not very familiar with Laneys, but I did own the VC-30 and liked it a lot for what it did.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Sep 8, 2007,
Yeah, for Laney:

VC30-212
LX35R

The LX35R has got a great look and a kick-ass distortion. Must find prices.
The LX is pretty lame, the the VC30 is an awesome amp though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well the Hot Rod nor the Laney will be great for metal, but the Laey will sound better than the Hot Rod for metal.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Out of those three, and seeing as you want metal, I'd go with the Valveking even though I'm not much of a fan - with a valve and speaker change it sounds totally revolutionised and has more gain stock then the Laney and Hot Rod. The Hot Rod's distortion is icky and there ain't much of it. The Laney sounds awesome but again at MAX gain it barely scrapes Led Zeppelin..
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^Yeah.

I'd go with the Valveking. A used Peavey 5150 would be ideal.

Can you get a Marshall DSL401? That's a much better choice.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I'm not to worried about the amps natural gain. If I was going to use the natural gain, it would be fore low-gain Tom Petty kinda songs. I've got my pedal if I want to do sh*t heavy metal. Or even Maiden or Zeppelin overdrive.