I'm pretty new to electric guitars, and looking for a good quality and good sounding guitar around $400...what do you think a good guitar would be for a beginner like me?
What kind of music are you looking into playing?

Do you want a guitar for versatility, or an axe with a warm heavy tone, or something with good clean sounds? There's a lot of different types of guitars out there. Give me an example of an artist you'd like to sound, or just describe the sound you're looking for.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
HSS strat for versatility
Epi LP or SSS Strat are other options

what are you playing though

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I've got an Ibanez RG2EX1, it's only about $270 off guitarcenter, comes with "designed by EMG" neck and bridge pickups (Means they're made based on EMG's but not made BY EMG, which means they sound similar but not as expensive/not as high quality.) and it looks pretty sweet.

Only problems I've had are with the input jack coming a little loose, but that's a real easy fix.

Edit; btw, it's a good rock guitar. Not made for soft clean stuff, it's all about fuzz. Stuff like Seether or Ozzy, but not quite as nice sounding (At $270, no guitar will.)
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Ibanez RG321MH
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
fender standard stratocaster is a good idea right at $400.00
Member #30 of the Fender Armada

60th anniversery American strat
Ibanez RG 370
MIM strat with ceramic humbucker in bridge
Squeir affinity strat
Fender blues deluxe
fender fm 15g
Boss DS-1
Vox V847
Epiphone SG Special. Good for any style. It's what I started out with and I couldn't have asked form any better.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
i started out with a cheap Ibanez GAX30, and it was a good guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez GAX30
B.C. Rich Bich Masterpiece
Peavy Millinium Bass