Page 1 of 2
I love refinishing. Simple mods and repairs along with some custom airbrushing I get to be pretty creative. So anyway I picked up this BC Rich NJ Virgin and decided to play with it a little. It's a long way from finished but I figured I'd start a thread now instead waiting until I lost pics or miss taking them in progession.

BEFORE:

Had some pretty good dings it it to start. None horrible and all of which were fillable with CA and sanded smooth. I had to do a couple of minor repairs on the horns as well. I shot primer and a flat black basecoat with a mini HVLP. I then taped off a few metal plate lines and sprayed with a color I mixed in Createx Auto Air. It is a med. grain aluminum base with a pearl black and a pearl yellow to get a pretty cool gunmetal gray with a slight green tint.

up next will be some shading in the plates and rivets added with the airbrush. I will also most likely ass some battle scars (painted not relic'd). I may even make the horn tip a little more Steel colored with a touch of blood spatter...not sure.

The neck got a makeover too. I used frisket to cover and save the original logo and serial number. I am doing everything I can to maintain the original integrity of the guitar like logos and electronics. It got a nice satin black finish and is now 90% complete. Though I may add some hash marks in the back of the headstock somewhere.

More to follow...
Don't drink water, fish #@$! in it.
Looks awesome!

Looking forward to seeing it finished.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

execelent job bud
where are you located
europe?/USA?
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
B.C. Rich warlock w/ zakk wylde bullseye
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Indy, US. Thanks for the props guys. I just got home from work and I'm off to throw a little more paint on it....
Cali, US
what paint did you use for the gunmetal grey
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Update: I am working on some rivets not wanting to go overboard and turn it into a "rivet" guitar." So that may be all I add to the front. The back I will keep quiet as a surprise. There are rivets however all the way around the sides. I have shaded a little on the metal and added a few stress fractures/scratches. For this I used a slightly pearlized black. For the rivets I used frisket film, a hole punch, the pearlized black mixed with a translucent base, and white mixed with a translucent base.

Keep in mind this isn't cleared at all yet, so it still looks kind of flat and dull. Clear will cause more 'pop' and render a little more depth.

New Castle, it is Createx Auto Air paint. It is designed for airbrush use on cars and can be cleared with just about anything.
Okay the first pic I thought this would be n00bish, great idea and I didn't think you'd pull it off well..

Now I will apologise, because that looks awesome! Exactly how I hoped it should look.

You seem pretty handy with the airbrush man, great talent you got there. Do you have any pics of other guitars you've refinished?
thanks for the paint tip
execelent job so far
i like the charvels yellow/black construction design
execelent work
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Last body update, before clear. I hit the plate lines with a little candy black to darken them up and age it a bit. I also finished up the rivets around the perimeter.

Next up will be neck updates. I am actually surprised myself that I was able to save to original logo and serial number. Frisket is a beautiful thing. Satin black with satin nitro finish.

coming soon...
I am considering doing the hazard stripes in the Floyd Rose cavity like I did on the Charvel. I won't show the back until it's all done. I should be able to get neck pics posted tomorrow sometime. It has come a long way too and is actually one of the finest necks I've played. Even I am getting excited to get this one done....

R-
dude that thing is so bad ass! Man I wish I had the materials and space and money to do something like that! I want to build a guitar so badly I cannot explain it!
Finally an update.... The neck is finished and assembled. Again it's a satin black nitro and all original hardware cleaned up. I basically just masked the logo and serial number on back with frisket then when I shot the satin nitro I had to build it up a bit. But I managed to keep it all original. The hardware is in great shape showing a little age that looks good in the gunmetal black.

The body has been sanded again and is ready for it's final clear. I'll have it done soon....

R-
Looks great. Just one thing. That neck is bolt-on, so it can never be an NJ.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Green Jelly, check your sources dood.... They are bolt ons, the mockingbirds however are set neck. Heck, just do a google image search. Thanks for keeping my on my toes though.

edit: here I did the legwork for you heres a link:
http://www.epinions.com/inst-Guitars-All-BC_Rich_NJ_Series_Virgin_Acoustic_Guitars
read the specs...

Frisket, is a low tack clear sheet of acetate. Think of it like a thin page protector with a very slight sticky side. It is used by airbrush and paint geeks for making stencils. It comes in sheets or rolls and is relatively cheap. Basically I put frisket on the headstock front and back and cut with an x-acto knife around the logos. Then I shot the neck with the satin lacquer and removed the frisket. Undet the frisket was still a gloss, so when I removed the frisket and sprayed the neck with satin lacquer it is all a nice satin clear.

Thanks for the props guys...

I finished all te other airbrush work in the body and it is getting a final clear today.

R-

edited: to add link for the Jelly dude.
Last edited by sumphead at Sep 27, 2007,
Pickups! For those that doubt the BC Rich BDSM Humbuckers they put in the NJ SERIES.....here's a before:

I cleaned it up and gave it new screws and a new pup ring along with the EMG-type black solid cover....check out the resistance. This is the neck pup!

The bridge measured in at 18.42K resistance and look like a dream. I have actually thought about doing a little airbrush on them too, but as of now I am loving the black.
Virgins look awesome. Virgos look good too. Virgos are more expensive.

Great paint job. i luv it. this should look great when its done. Pickups look good too.
Thanks guys...

godisasniper, yeah it will be for sale and/or trade when I finish it. I actually already have quite a bit of interest. Price will depend on the total hours in the paint I have and any other add ons. So I am not quite sure yet. Generally I just use the money for the next project or trade to add to my collection. I am actually not much of a shredder guitar guy, but they are indeed the most fun to refinish. I get to be a little more creative.

I'll have another update tomorrow. I decided on a few more body additions like a little airbrushed battle wound on the front, I also brightened up the horns with a little more silver flake give it more of a weapon's edge, and the back has yet to be unveiled.

I will shoot my last inter coat clear tonight and have it ready for a mock-up before final clear tomorrow.

I would guess no more than a week before she's all wrapped up.

many many thanks again guys....

R-
Time for a Mock-up!

First off full frontal. OK before we start a disclaimer: The body id elevated so NO the headstock is NOT touching the concrete! Heheh, I could hear the flames starting up. As you can see I gave it a little battle scar on the front. And a little color under the floyd, as requested, with some dirty hazard lines. I think it's a nice touch. At this point I have a sealer between paint layers and this joker still has to be sanded and a final clear added. So if it looks a little dull it's because it isn't finished. This is just a mock up and I can remove anything still at this point.

a little closer...

OK I'll finally show the back, even though I am not very happy with it (I am my own largest critic). There seems to have been a little fire in the electronics cavity...

OK a little closer...

The angle of the flames is that they are up when playing. I wish I would have practiced a little more before going at it, but I think it'll do for now.....thoughts?

R-
Nice man... trying for a tru fire effect? and You did the airbrushing yourself? Looks pretty good. Also the rule I like to follow with airbrush artist is. If they don't like their own work. They must be good!, due to the fact that they are always trying to improve themselfs. Instead of the arigent ones who think they are the best and think there is no need to practice.
Thanks man, Yeah I struggle a little at times. I am completely self taught just as a hobby. I was going for a little tru-fire effect. Obviously I need a little work. This was actually my first attempt on a project....*shrugs*

R-
swwweeeetttt
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
That thing looks so mean! Great job dude, I love how the paint matches the guitar shape.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by sumphead
Time for a Mock-up!

First off full frontal. OK before we start a disclaimer: The body id elevated so NO the headstock is NOT touching the concrete! Heheh, I could hear the flames starting up. As you can see I gave it a little battle scar on the front. And a little color under the floyd, as requested, with some dirty hazard lines. I think it's a nice touch. At this point I have a sealer between paint layers and this joker still has to be sanded and a final clear added. So if it looks a little dull it's because it isn't finished. This is just a mock up and I can remove anything still at this point.

a little closer...

OK I'll finally show the back, even though I am not very happy with it (I am my own largest critic). There seems to have been a little fire in the electronics cavity...

OK a little closer...

The angle of the flames is that they are up when playing. I wish I would have practiced a little more before going at it, but I think it'll do for now.....thoughts?

R-

"i think i just filled the cup"
If you need man I got a tru-fire video a buddy of mine shot. He's one of the best ab'rs in myliasia
Thanks guys...I am sure I have seen the video vatos80, i think is his name, is a cool guy.

I like it to the point where I think I am gonna call it done and move on to the next. I'll have over 10 hours in it after setup. Thanks for the all the props guys. I'll get a final pic once completed.

You guys Rock! Seriously if it weren't for the feedback I'd never post this stuff, thanks a million. I get PMs with suggestions and even criticism, it's all great feedback. Thanks again.

R-
Page 1 of 2