Okay i admit i have the addiction and it is very costly and can ruin lives. Interested to hear peoples tone chasing stories..amp whoring etc. I went from marshall jcm to 6505 to dual recto now to rack setup in a couple of years. I think the search is never ending.
GAS and tone addiction are chronic lifetime conditions. There are currently no vaccines or treatments available. Ongoing research suggests that afflicted individuals have relationship disruptions, financial problems and seemingly random attention lapses, except when engaged in the problematic behavior (playing guitar) when they seem to have a laser-like focus.
I, had a FM 212R. I saved and saved and saved for a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50. After getting about $100, I said screw this and traded in the FM 212R for a Epi VJ. I like my tone with one of my guitars, but not the other, so I'm getting pickups swapped eventually. Right now I'm waiting for a speaker to arrive in the mail. After this ordeal, I hope to get a few pedals and quit looking for gear. I need to focus more on playing
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
hm, waiting on my new amp now, and it should suit me well for the next few years. especially compared to the crate halfstack and my half-broken vj.

then, a tele would complete my tone for guitars. i dunno, is it weird to have such short goals? i think my quest for tone will keep going as time goes on though...
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
you just don't want to now eh?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
hm, waiting on my new amp now, and it should suit me well for the next few years. especially compared to the crate halfstack and my half-broken vj.

then, a tele would complete my tone for guitars. i dunno, is it weird to have such short goals? i think my quest for tone will keep going as time goes on though...

yeah but when you first start out you are like..i need that squier strat to make my life complete. now im like 'yeah i fancied buying a dual recto so i did'.

tone is a funny thing because its relative to your overall personality..eg bb king playing a superstrat woudnt be right. a lot of guitarists dont realise they need to have their own sound like Adam Jones or Eric Johnson. I think too many bands sound generic because they are all using rectos.
ha, true. when i started, all i thought i needed was a decent guitar and a not fancy amp. i thought that tubes amps were uneccessary and went ahead and bought a second crate ss amp.
after playing many others, ah, i think i found the tone i need
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by uldhppi
GAS and tone addiction are chronic lifetime conditions. There are currently no vaccines or treatments available. Ongoing research suggests that afflicted individuals have relationship disruptions, financial problems and seemingly random attention lapses, except when engaged in the problematic behavior (playing guitar) when they seem to have a laser-like focus.

o.o

It's like you personally know me...
^

More stories; in May this year this one neighborhood was having their annual garage sale, and man this thing was huge. There were probably 50 homes in on this, and cars were parked bumper-to-bumper on every street for a couple miles all around.

Anyway, there was this one house where a guy who used to run a guitar repair shop lived. He had accessories like you wouldn't believe, a garage full of them, also two guitars (a handmade acoustic and a Tele thinline with EMGs :eek, two cheap basses, and an amp.

So I went in there and I saw a Rocktron chorus pedal, for $40 bucks. I tried it through the amp (Sunn T50C) for about half an hour and bought the pedal.
The rest of my family wasn't done looking around yet, so I just waited in the car, but then I got to thinking; that amp was really nice, and I've been looking to upgrade from a Spider. So when my Mom got back I talked to her, and I went and tried the amp for about another half an hour.

I ended up buying it for $500. The thing has brutal distortion and awesome Fender cleans (Sunns are made by Fender after all), and I couldn't have gotten luckier. I was looking to get a Blues Jr + Metal Muff, but this thing surpasses it in all ways.

And this was an impulse buy. Irresponsible and risky, but I got lucky. But I was still out $500.
I actually used to have GAS but not anymore. I started with a Squire bullet and a Frontman 25r amp and then upgraded to an Epi Flying V guitar. Then I traded that in and got a Highway 1 Tele with greasebucket circuits. After that I got a Peavey Windsor halfstack. Then I finally traded that thing in and got a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 212.

My quest for tone is over

My pedal quest hasn't begun yet though
I am the Infantry.
Guess I got lucky. I buy new gear maybe twice a year. And it's just a list of things I'm buying little by little. I'll be done in a year or two. Got the right amp and guitar in the first shot and I'm content.