So, as we all know the chances of being rich and famous through music are pretty slim, but how is the music business world, as in record producing? I really want to go to a music school for college, but the risk of not ever making money really scared me, and then I saw the business side of it and thought it might be a good career choice.

So can anyone give me the odds of becoming a moderately successful record producer, and how much the average salary is?

EDIT: THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME GETTING SIGNED TO A RECORD LABEL. IT'S ABOUT PRODUCING AND WORKING IN THE RECORD BUSINESS.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Sep 7, 2007,
That's a good point. There is an aspect to the music industry, namely the business side, that is there for you if the actual musical side falls through... i.e. you get your arm cut off by a lawn ninja gnome.
I'm not qualified to answer this question, but I would love to hear somebody that can.

---------------------------
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Dunlop Crybaby Original Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Own an Ibanez RG series guitar? Join the group.
Quote by KileManA7X
There is already a thread about this.

I searched and didn't find anything within 2 pages, link?

Quote by Black_Fender
That's a good point. There is an aspect to the music industry, namely the business side, that is there for you if the actual musical side falls through... i.e. you get your arm cut off by a lawn ninja gnome.
I'm not qualified to answer this question, but I would love to hear somebody that can.

I've already got something to fall back on, I'm taking an architecture course in BOCES this year and I interned at an architectural firm so I've got that, I just don't have high hopes for a major record deal.
Dickless.
The chances of being a rock star won't grow by going to some music high school/college. Look at all bands in the past and in the modern days.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
The chances of being a rock star won't grow by going to some music high school/college. Look at all bands in the past and in the modern days.

Reread the post. I said nothing about becoming a signed musician. I don't really want to get signed, I'd be more into the idea of teaching anyway.
Dickless.
I think the major thing to note is that skill is only part of the path to getting a record deal. In fact, it may not even be necessary at all. Just look at bands like Fall Out Boy. It's really about the image, because your image determines whether or not your albums will sell, thus whether or not record companies will want to pick you up. Skill can be the basis for that image, though, like Satch or Vai.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Quote by MetalMilitia212
So, as we all know the chances of being rich and famous through music are pretty slim, but how is the music business world, as in record producing? I really want to go to a music school for college, but the risk of not ever making money really scared me, and then I saw the business side of it and thought it might be a good career choice.

So can anyone give me the odds of becoming a moderately successful record producer, and how much the average salary is?

Well, it all depends on how hard you are willing to work for it. But more importantly, who you know. You know the old adage, "It's not what you know, but who you know...", well that applies big time in an industry like this. Having good connections is the key to making it big in the industry.

It's still pretty hard to get in it though, considering the fact that you are competing with a ton of people for a spot, and the fact that downloading has become so popular. So, you can make it, but you really do have to work for it. Also, if you do make it in, then you should easily make a good bit of money.....
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Hultan

I think I'd have to disagree with that. Music theory, the kind you learn in school, is invaluable if, like i said in the above post, you want your image to be based on your skill as a guitarist. The greatest rockstars all knew/know music theory; you just can't be a great guitarist without it. So if you base your image on skill, it definitely will help.

My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Ibanez SM7 Smash Box
Boss RC-2 Loop Station

Quote by Metal-X
Well, it all depends on how hard you are willing to work for it. But more importantly, who you know. You know the old adage, "It's not what you know, but who you know...", well that applies big time in an industry like this. Having good connections is the key to making it big in the industry.

It's still pretty hard to get in it though, considering the fact that you are competing with a ton of people for a spot, and the fact that downloading has become so popular. So, you can make it, but you really do have to work for it. Also, if you do make it in, then you should easily make a good bit of money.....

I do know the money end of it, anyone else watch MTV Cribs last night?

I do actually know a few signed musicians in a few different genres, and my girlfriend has a sponsorship so I'm sure she could introduce me to a few people.
Dickless.
Quote by Black_Fender
I think I'd have to disagree with that. Music theory, the kind you learn in school, is invaluable if, like i said in the above post, you want your image to be based on your skill as a guitarist. The greatest rockstars all knew/know music theory; you just can't be a great guitarist without it. So if you base your image on skill, it definitely will help.

i dont think hendrix, clapton, page, slash, knows how to read music
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I do know the money end of it, anyone else watch MTV Cribs last night?

I do actually know a few signed musicians in a few different genres, and my girlfriend has a sponsorship so I'm sure she could introduce me to a few people.

It's a good start man.

I'm in the middle of studying to become a sound engineer, and the best thing you can do is to go out there and meet some people.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by acersucks

Quote by acersucks
Well my question is how much money do average musicians make? what are the chances of even getting signed by a label? the music i want to write would probably sound something like frank zappa-steve vai: you know mostly virtuoso stuff (im not looking to start arguments between playing fast or slow - which isn't even what virtuoso means as well) and it's not very mainstreem so i don't really think it would be "money-making" music, you know like rap or pop/rock.

Quote by MetalMilitia212
EDIT: THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME GETTING SIGNED TO A RECORD LABEL. IT'S ABOUT PRODUCING AND WORKING IN THE RECORD BUSINESS.

Quote by lpmarshall
i dont think hendrix, clapton, page, slash, knows how to read music

Page was a studio musician so yes he does, as does Slash.

Quote by Metal-X
It's a good start man.

I'm in the middle of studying to become a sound engineer, and the best thing you can do is to go out there and meet some people.

Godd luck with that too

I'm not only looking to produce though, just a good paying job that I can support myself with that deals with music.
Dickless.
It's just meeting the right guy at the right time. Some manager at Sony quit his job and started working in our local leisure centre and got one of the guys in my band in contact with some guys he knew and got him work experience for a month or so up at Sony and Columbia records a while back. Just network, man, call around and see if you can get a job making tea for a week or something somewhere just to meet people
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by MetalMilitia212

Godd luck with that too

I'm not only looking to produce though, just a good paying job that I can support myself with that deals with music.

Thanks man

Yeah, I know. But what I said goes for just about every part of the music industry. There are tons of jobs in the industry that deal with music like, production, managing, talent agent, A&R (well not so much A&R, downloading stopped that...). Anyways, there are tons of jobs available, they'll tell you all about it in school though.
Random Metal-X fact:

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

Quote by Yakult
It's just meeting the right guy at the right time. Some manager at Sony quit his job and started working in our local leisure centre and got one of the guys in my band in contact with some guys he knew and got him work experience for a month or so up at Sony and Columbia records a while back. Just network, man, call around and see if you can get a job making tea for a week or something somewhere just to meet people

i think you need to dump your singer. he sounds like a weak generic indie singer (and he has a lisp) while you guys are playing 90s style pop punk
Not being able to read music doesn't mean your theory is ****. Thats only one part of theory, albeit quite an advantageous one if you can nail it. There's so much more theory out there that is just as important if not more important than being able to read music. Judging a persons theoretical knowledge based on whether or not they can read music is just ridiculous.
Get on top of my coffin woman.
Quote by GtrCzarIII
i think you need to dump your singer. he sounds like a weak generic indie singer (and he has a lisp) while you guys are playing 90s style pop punk

Cheers, he had a stroke a couple of years ago and it's affected his ability to speak properly and he's only just got through the physiotherapy and get enough co-ordination to walk and do things like use a knife and fork, or use a keyboard.

I'll pass your regards onto him though, because it's fair enough I suppose, what's he playing at.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Cheers, he had a stroke a couple of years ago and it's affected his ability to speak properly and he's only just managed to get up out of his wheel chair and get enough co-ordination to use a knife and fork. I'll pass your regards onto him though, because it's fair enough, he really ruins the whole thing.

well if you are taking it seriously as a band thats what any label would say. your competition in that genre can sing melodically or do the shouting stuff..that guy just narrates his generic self indulgent english indie pop mixed metaphors and uncatchy vocal lines rather than sings.
I think it's a good idea because if you decide to make your own music later on you will be in a better position to start from. There are quite a few really famous musicians who started off as producers (Timbaland, Mark Ronson etc) as well as songwriters and backing singers. Even that Carmit chick (red head one from Pussycat Dolls) used to be a back up dancer. Of course everyone thinks of these people as "sell outs" but they show it IS possible.
Quote by GtrCzarIII
well if you are taking it seriously as a band thats what any label would say. your competition in that genre can sing melodically or do the shouting stuff..that guy just narrates his generic self indulgent english indie pop mixed metaphors and uncatchy vocal lines rather than sings.

Damn, not even a grain of sympathy for my completely fabricated lie? Heartless bastard. Seriously though, I'm going to eat your ears as punishment for having an opinion. I'm the singer and your words sting like lemon juice in a paper cut.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by GtrCzarIII

If you want to insult his music, which is most likely superior to anytihng you've done by the way, do it through profiles or PMs.

Quote by Rhitard
I think it's a good idea because if you decide to make your own music later on you will be in a better position to start from. There are quite a few really famous musicians who started off as producers (Timbaland, Mark Ronson etc) as well as songwriters and backing singers. Even that Carmit chick (red head one from Pussycat Dolls) used to be a back up dancer. Of course everyone thinks of these people as "sell outs" but they show it IS possible.

I considered that too, I'm sure meeting some producers and just happening to have demos on me might get me somewhere .
Dickless.
Damn it Yakult I was feeling sorry for your singer there.

YOU DECIEVED US.

edit: does anyone else need to type there message about 10 times to get it right at this time (3. a.m).
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by Yakult
Damn, not even a grain of sympathy for my completely fabricated lie? Heartless bastard. Seriously though, I'm going to eat your ears as punishment for having an opinion. I'm the singer and your words sting like lemon juice in a paper cut.

oops. sorry dude. maybe just take a few singing lessons.
Quote by GtrCzarIII
oops. sorry dude. maybe just take a few singing lessons.

Naa, our manager just got us a publishing deal so I think we're doing alright at the mo
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Naa, our manager just got us a publishing deal so I think we're doing alright at the mo

jesus christ..you're still attending uni tho right?. It will not happen with your vocals i would bet my house on it.
if you dont make it big you could always just do it as a side thing and work as a studio guitarist
Quote by Zoso92
if you dont make it big you could always just do it as a side thing and work as a studio guitarist

Making money as a studio guitarist is harder than getting signed, as you have to be so good that people request you.

Quote by GtrCzarIII
jesus christ..you're still attending uni tho right?. It will not happen with your vocals i would bet my house on it.

One more off-topic and unnecessary flaming post and you'll be reported for spam .
Dickless.