So I started this thread back a while ago and I finally picked up my Marshall JCM900 4100 head for $450. (Good Deal?)

Sounds great, but the guy couldn't sell the cab with it. Now I need to find a cab for it, but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for. I understand essentially they're just speakers, so how important is selecting the right cab? Budget isn't a huge factor, but again I love a good deal!

Also, this is my 1st tube amp and even though I've done a few searches... I still have a few questions besides the main ones of the thread....
What are the consequences of turning on an amp that isn't connected to a cab/speaker?
What exactly are the differences between a speaker cable and an instrument cable?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
stray away from cheaply made 4x12 cabinets. they tend to be made of poor woods of shotty construction, and usually have crappy speakers in them.

just look out for that, and you should be fine. 2x12's are just as nice
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
1. good deal
2. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TURN ON THE HEAD WITHOUT A SPEAKER ATTACHED. tubes, fuses, caps, your house, head cabinet will all blow. seriously, dont do it.
3. speaker cable= i dont know the difference, i think it is stereo while normal guitar cables are mono. use it for head to cab though

remember, turn it from "off" to "on" wait a few minutes (1-2) then go from "standby" to "on". play. then to turn it off go from "on" to "standby" and wait like 5 seconds, then "on" to "off". have fun!
aha, right i forgot about the other questions.

like he^ said, don't even try turning the amp on, because it's not gonna make any sound. except maybe quite a few pops.

and speaker cables are thicker and designed to handle the output of an amp head. an instrument cable's fine for sending the tiny signal an instrument gives off, so it's better to be safe than sorry.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I was actually thinking 2x12 to begin w/ but forgot to mention it in my original post.

Why IS it that just not being attached to a speaker would cause so much damage?
there's nothing to load the power on. why would u turn it on if there's no sound coming out? but a bad fume and some smoke...?

get at least two speakers, since it's hard to cover over 100watts with one speaker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
With out a cab it's blowing up a balloon and not stopping. While with a cab it's like blowing up a balloon with a hole in it. Well that's how I think of it.
Guitars / Bass
60th anniversary strat
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic
Mitchell Electric-Acoustic
60th anniversary p-bass

Amps
TSL60 w/ 1960a
Frontman 25R II
Behringer BXL450A
^it would still blow up without the cab though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Alright, I did turn it on once, but I had it hooked up to one of my PA speakers and set to 50 watts and it was fine.

Thanks again everyone!