okay i bought a 6505 a few months ago and i wanna be sure im doing it right. okay so theres two switches, standby and power. ive heard that you turn on the power then the standby and let it warm up for about 3-5 minutes (depending on temperature).then turn off the standby.

question 1) How do i know if i am letting the tubes warm up or if im just leaving it on.

When i turn on the power, the red light above it is on, when i turn on standby, the green light above it goes on. now, the problem is if i turn the standby off (green light off), I dont get any sound coming through. if i leave it on, then there is sound.

so i guess my 2nd question is, how do i turn on my amp and warm the tubes up on this particular model.

noob question but hey its my first tube.

thanks in advance.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
30 seconds/ 1 minute (recommended) is enough for warming them up. this is in standby of course. i'm afraid i can't help with the whole question, let the tube pro's help you.
Here:

1)Turn POWER on only.
2)Wait 2-3 minutes
3)Turn STANDBY on.
4)Play

To turn Off:

1)Turn off STANDBY only.
2) Wait 2-3 mins...whetever.
3)Turn Off POWER.
Quote by nightrain28
Here:

1)Turn POWER on only.
2)Wait 2-3 minutes
3)Turn STANDBY on.
4)Play

To turn Off:

1)Turn off STANDBY only.
2) Wait 2-3 mins...whetever.
3)Turn Off POWER.

+1 except i think you can just turn it straight off
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by GD_GC
+1 except i think you can just turn it straight off

You can do either. I heard its best to turn off standby first and let in sit with the power on for a bit...but I'm sure it can't make much of a difference.
yea, ive heard that too, i just turn my blues deluxe straight off though
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Yes, you can just turn it straight off. It will not harm anything. But do let the tubes warm up for a bit before you play. I own a peavy butcher head... with it I turn standby on, then the power. This should light up a red power light, and a green standby light. After 'x' time, turn standby off... this should extinguish the green light. You should be able to play after that. To turn it off... just flip the power switch.
Quote by Allen2288
Yes, you can just turn it straight off. It will not harm anything. But do let the tubes warm up for a bit before you play. I own a peavy butcher head... with it I turn standby on, then the power. This should light up a red power light, and a green standby light. After 'x' time, turn standby off... this should extinguish the green light. You should be able to play after that. To turn it off... just flip the power switch.

Huh?....you turn Standby on before you turn Power on?????
I always switch my stand-by before shutting the amp off, simply so it's set when I turn the amp back on next time.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Yes... so there isn't any wear on the amp when I turn the power on... standby cuts the main power off from the tubes... therefore I have standby on.
hopefully i could make it more simple:

turn amp ON with standby switch on STANDBY.
wait however long you feel is enough time.
turn the standby switch to ON.
play.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
i let my tubes warm up for 20/30 mins, i think it sounds better when i leave it longer, also, i touch the gold bit on the front of the marshall and if it feels warm/hot i know its good to go otherwise the tone sounds very weak
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Quote by UnsignedRecords
hopefully i could make it more simple:

turn amp ON with standby switch on STANDBY.
wait however long you feel is enough time.
turn the standby switch to ON.
play.

Hahaha...I don't think my post could have made it any simpler. You're right though. This is what I said.
wowie i totally didn't mean to rip off your style like that.

o_O
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by ShaunFrusciante
i let my tubes warm up for 20/30 mins, i think it sounds better when i leave it longer, also, i touch the gold bit on the front of the marshall and if it feels warm/hot i know its good to go otherwise the tone sounds very weak

holy jesus dude 20/30 mins? i wouldnt be able to wait that long!
gone." - J.Lansdowne
Quote by jpgilbert701
okay i bought a 6505 a few months ago and i wanna be sure im doing it right. okay so theres two switches, standby and power. ive heard that you turn on the power then the standby and let it warm up for about 3-5 minutes (depending on temperature).then turn off the standby.

question 1) How do i know if i am letting the tubes warm up or if im just leaving it on.

When i turn on the power, the red light above it is on, when i turn on standby, the green light above it goes on. now, the problem is if i turn the standby off (green light off), I dont get any sound coming through. if i leave it on, then there is sound.

so i guess my 2nd question is, how do i turn on my amp and warm the tubes up on this particular model.

noob question but hey its my first tube.

thanks in advance.

Even though previous posters have made it perfectly clear, I just want to make sure you know what you should be doing. I just don't want you to wear out your tubes early.

The way you're currently doing it is eliminating any warming up. You're turning on the power and standby at the same time, which is shocking your cold tubes. You're supposed to only turn your power on, and leave your standby in off (no sound). Then, you let the tubes warm up for a couple of minutes, and then turn your standby to on (jam time).

Then to turn it off, of course, standby (5s or so) --> power off.
My friend who is an electrical engineering major and guitarist:

Letting the tubes warm up before applying voltage is a MUST to get best sound and ensure tube longevity. Follow the procedures stated above, HOWEVER:

THE TUBES ONLY NEED TO WARM FOR 45 SECONDS TO 1 MINUTE!

This warms them up to as warm as they're gonna get without added voltage. However waiting longer isnt bad just to ensure that they are warmed. But waiting 30 minutes is ridiculous. Waiting until the face plate of the amp is hot doesn't do anything. The faceplate doesnt affect your sound, WHY WAIT FOR IT TO GET HOT?

To turn off the amp, just turn off both switches at the same time. Waiting with the power on and the standby switch on standby KEEPS THE TUBES HOT, it doesnt cool them down. However, if you like to turn it to standby before switching off the amp, that aint a bad habit because at least the switch is in the right spot the next time you turn on the amp. Hope this helps and doesnt confuse
yea thanks guys i think i got it now. ill make sure to let it warm up right from now on. again thanks.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
So since my little 5w tube amp doesn't have a standby switch will this effect my tube longevity? I just turn the power on and in like 30 seconds and when there is a little sound/hum from the amp I plug in and play.