why is there an "official recommendation thread"???
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
...reported.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by LedZeppelin
...reported.

why?? i am actually curious about it...without an "official" thread you get more recommendations and opinions than with only one "official" one...i thought the point of this forums was to exchange ideas and hear different opinions so that you don't just see one side of a genre...why limit it?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Sep 7, 2007,
Well, with the recommendation thread, there are massive lists of bands from each genre to help out beginners. Then, if there is a person looking for more black metal for example but want a certain sound to it, they could ask something like "I'm looking for some black metal, similar to Marduk". There are many posts like that a day, and if we didn't have the recommendation thread, the metal forum would be filled with threads like that. And also, if you ask there, it is pretty much guarranteed that someone will help you out within a few hours.
Quote by blues-guitarist
why?? i am actually curious about it...without an "official" thread you get more recommendations and opinions than with only one "official" one...i thought the point of this forums was to exchange ideas and hear different opinions so that you don't just see one side of a genre...why limit it?

This is the biggest music discussion forum on UG. Without the ORT, there would be a bunch of "what bands sound like this?" threads, and the actual discussions would get drowned out. Nothing is being limited, it's just being contained to a certain area.

And trust me, you get plenty of recommendations in the official thread. In the non-official threads that pop up, I usually see a lot of people recommending the same bands. In the official thread, there's more variety in the responses.
Last edited by Scourge441 at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by Masochist_Lust
Well, with the recommendation thread, there are massive lists of bands from each genre to help out beginners. Then, if there is a person looking for more black metal for example but want a certain sound to it, they could ask something like "I'm looking for some black metal, similar to Marduk". There are many posts like that a day, and if we didn't have the recommendation thread, the metal forum would be filled with threads like that. And also, if you ask there, it is pretty much guarranteed that someone will help you out within a few hours.

last time i posted on the recommendation thread i asked someone to recommend me some good folk metal with clear voice and with violins and nobody answered...i've been to many music forums and this is the first one who has "official" thread for everything...that was why i was asking
-Homer Simpson
Last edited by blues-guitarist at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by blues-guitarist
last time i posted on the recommendation thread i asked someone to recommend me some good folk metal with clear voice and with violins and nobody answered...i've been to a lot of music forums and this is the first one who has "official" thread for everything...that was why i was asking

Sometimes you hit the thread at the wrong time, all you gotta do is quote yourself and repost a day or two later. Seriously, the rec thread was a huge help in getting me into metal.
Quote by blues-guitarist
last time i posted on the recommendation thread i asked someone to recommend me some good folk metal with clear voice and with violins and nobody answered...i've been to many music forums and this is the first one who has "official" thread for everything...that was why i was asking

Yeah, some requests do get overlooked sometimes. It happens, but most requests get filled pretty quickly.
Quote by blues-guitarist

Clownmite is right, but also, sometimes you ask very difficult questions. Maybe I'm just not into folk metal enough, but I listen to a fair few bands and I don't know any that combine violins with clean vocals. So sometimes, very specific questions don't get answered because there aren't very many bands.
Quote by Masochist_Lust
Clownmite is right, but also, sometimes you ask very difficult questions. Maybe I'm just not into folk metal enough, but I listen to a fair few bands and I don't know any that combine violins with clean vocals. So sometimes, very specific questions don't get answered because there aren't very many bands.

true, but that's my point...if i make a different thread, more people would probably read my question and there is a higher chance of that specific question being answered
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
true, but that's my point...if i make a different thread, more people would probably read my question and there is a higher chance of that specific question being answered

Not really. Everyone who has posted in the Rec thread gets a notification email, unless they have chosen not to. And most people who post in the rec thread are regulars, so they will see your request and try to think of some bands. If you make a thread yourself, it will be filled with flaming and closed fairly fast. We might not be able to give you exactly what you want the first time around, but just keep trying.
Tough shit.

Do you know what the forum would look like without that thread?
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Tough shit.

Do you know what the forum would look like without that thread?

like any other metal forum without "official" theads??
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
like any other metal forum without "official" theads??

No, completely disorganised and chaotic for the mods.

The rec thread really helps these guys out. Without it, they'd have three times the work to do. There is 214 pages in that thread, imagine all that out in the forums?
Quote by Masochist_Lust
No, completely disorganised and chaotic for the mods.

The rec thread really helps these guys out. Without it, they'd have three times the work to do. There is 214 pages in that thread, imagine all that out in the forums?

i'm not saying to erase the rec thread but i don't think you should tell someone to erase their thread when that person has tried the rec thread and nobody answered because it is too specific...and also, i think it would be a good idea to have a table of contents....it would help a lot imo
-Homer Simpson
you asked, they explained, so either go by it, or go visit those other forums
My sig is better than yours